I hope we don't stick with Diablo on the N810, at least change the name, Glad that there will be some collaborations to allow further development on current devivecs

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Last edited by Un27Pee; 2008-12-08 at 14:48.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by Un27Pee View Post
I hope we don't stick with Diablo on the N810, at least change the name
"Elephantia" is available.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
You say that like they've got unlimited resources and free time. . . .
No, I said it like the community (the part of it able to do it, so I'm not included) is very small and it has even less resources and free time (which maybe could be better used to improve the debian port and tap into an immensely bigger community).
I've said it then and I'll say it again: I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

Nokia has just announced the new Maemo 5 SDK. The 100% open source pre-alpha release is currenlty aimed at platform developers allowing them to take a peek at the new Kernel as well as new components coming to Maemo for the first time, notably OMAP3 support, cellular data connectivity, high-definition camera support, and harware-based graphic accelleration.

A new revamped UI and a new media application framework is expected to be released soon, taking advatage of the new OMAP 3 architecture, as well as the built-in graphics acceleration. Because of this, support for OMAP2 devices (Nokia N800, N810) will not be officially provided. An invitation is extended to developers however, to build variants of Maemo5 that would work with the older devices.
Read the full article.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by luca View Post
No, I said it like the community (the part of it able to do it, so I'm not included) is very small and it has even less resources and free time.
Nokia decided not to push an official backport for a variety of reasons, most of them business related, but none of which include "completely impossible". Your argument seems to be that Nokia simply doesn't have enough resources to do it, but the reality is more "it doesn't make good business sense to devote the amount of resources it would require (and thus take them away from Fremantle proper) to develop an official backport".

The community has a number of advantages over Nokia in pushing their own backport. First, they're not hindered by any of Nokia's "quality" or "support" requirements, so they're free to make shortcuts and implement hacks where necessary that Nokia isn't. Second, they're crippled by long release pipelines. Third, and finally, they can dedicate their free time to whatever they want to and don't need to focus on Fremantle.

All of this makes the community faster, more agile, and more capable of getting the job done than Nokia.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
(which maybe could be better used to improve the debian port and tap into an immensely bigger community)
Debian is a dead end for a mobile platform. You'll never see battery life on the same level as Maemo, and it really doesn't provide the answers and solutions you think it does.

Mer is the direction to work towards, not trying to shoehorn a server- and desktop-oriented distribution into a mobile device it was never intended for.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-12-08 at 16:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
For good measure..
"A new revamped UI and a new media application framework dubbed "Ohm" "

It's not a media application framework. It's Open Hardware Manager (http://ohm.freedesktop.org/wiki/).
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
i am really sorry nokia decided to break api and support for (older) hardware once more, despite their promises.

i'm afraid i am not able to trust them, that maemo5 and the next device will be supported for at least 2 years.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
A new revamped UI and a new media application framework dubbed “Ohm” is expected to be released soon, taking advatage of the new OMAP3 architecture, as well as the built-in graphics acceleration.
Also note that there's no new UI in this release.

Originally Posted by hyartep View Post
i am really sorry nokia decided to break api and support for (older) hardware once more, despite their promises.
API breaks have little to do with hardware support here.

Originally Posted by hyartep View Post
i'm afraid i am not able to trust them, that maemo5 and the next device will be supported for at least 2 years.
Was 2 years the promise? No. It was 2 releases.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Your argument seems to be that Nokia simply doesn't have enough resources to do it, but the reality is more "it.
Hey, it's not my argument (I'm not knowledgeable enough on the low level details to have an opinion), it's their announcement that says so: The revamped UI relying on graphics acceleration and the new functionality built around the new supported hardware made it too complex to keep the compatibility between both architectures.

For the rest of your comment I just hope you are right (regarding maemo, not debian)

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Things like that could not be well understand by many people ...

.... i can just hope ....