@heavyt
Would you mind expanding on that Boingo plug? What kind of down&up are you getting, limitations, blocked ports, and availability are you experiencing? I recall seeing a boingo client in the repo, is that required to login? Is it month-to-the-month, etc?

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
[*]It flashes if I have mail (built-in mail client IMAPed to Gmail).
Hey David, I guess I'm way behind in the times.

Mind explaining how you are able to do this?

addison, the built in email client flashes blue when i have new gmail email. do you have gmail/imap or /pop?
fixerdave, thanks for the idea, i switched fbreader to green letters on black. should increase battery life.

The Following User Says Thank You to wesgreen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
@heavyt
Would you mind expanding on that Boingo plug? What kind of down&up are you getting, limitations, blocked ports, and availability are you experiencing? I recall seeing a boingo client in the repo, is that required to login? Is it month-to-the-month, etc?
Speed is the same as my home wi-fi and no limitations, blocked ports, or contract. Wi-Fi Access in more than 70 countries around the world (airports, hotels, coffee shops, etc).

You can use the boingo client to setup your account. After the setup, anytime your N8xx picks up Boingo wi-fi signal it will log on. It is a no-brainier as far as setting it up and using it. http://mobile.boingo.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
The N810 does everything and goes everywhere! And I'm not paying for a cellular data plan to use it!

I use it every day and I won't reiterate all the apps others have said. I will add that my young children enjoy Numpty Physics, TuxPaint, Xournal & Sketch, Boxar, Theremin. My toddler even likes the last two.

I also appreciate all the community efforts to expand the devices' capabilities & Nokia's cooperation with these efforts.

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Hey David, I guess I'm way behind in the times.

Mind explaining how you are able to do this?
Well, basically, all I did was go into the stock mail client, Accounts, New - and put the values in that Gmail says to use (Settings, Forwarding and Pop/IMAP, IMAP). I won't say it's point and click simple, but all you need to do is follow the directions.

Overall, it works well. Incoming mail will flash the LED (which is actually a good use for it), then put an envelope on the, what, task bar? Screen left, no idea what it's called. A tap on that and the email comes up, or a tap on the X and it goes away.

For basic mail, the default client seems good enough. It doesn't do much for multi-media, but text is fine. For some odd reason, it won't take a capital 'M' from the hw keyboard, on screen is fine. No idea why - works everywhere else, and yes I've mucked with the keyboard settings. But, I'm not a big emailer from the N810, so that's not a big deal. It's just really handy to just glance at the N810 to see if I have mail, see who it's from, and maybe enter a quick response. For anything bigger, I go to my desktop and fire up the gmail client.

The only annoying part is if I get an email at 4am and it starts flashing. The N810 is my bedside alarm clock, in Flip-clock (python version) night mode. That flashing light is BRIGHT, lights up the whole room - basically demands you shut down Flip-clock, clear the notification, and restart Flip-clock before going back to sleep.

David...

you can clear the e-mail notification by either minimizing flip clock or if the on screen mail icon is showing, just press it and x out the message. No need to shut down flipclock
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
you can clear the e-mail notification by either minimizing flip clock or if the on screen mail icon is showing, just press it and x out the message. No need to shut down flipclock
yeah... I tried that... I'm still using the old Python version of Flip-Clock. Every once in a while, I go back and skim the Flip Clock forum topic to see how many people are complaining about stability of the new C version. Right now, I'll stick with the instability I know over the unknown Hey, I'm still using an N810 - so what do you expect? I stick with what I know So, no minimizing for me. That's one thing I know fer sher. Exit and then restart, or you don't wake up on time And I hate waking up, and like, wondering why it's so light, and then, you-know, why is there a 9 where the 8 should be... is that really a 9 Oh... CRAP and hit the shower running. Makes for a lousy day, I'll tell you.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The N810 is a better book reader than the N900, no question about it, because of the larger screen. I have been reading Kindle books on the N810 because I like the color screen.

Also, the N810 allows you to play Audible books, and the N900 doesn't. That is a big plus.
How do you read Kindle books? I've recently dusted off my N810 to do such tasks as E-reading and Kindle would be a killer app for me.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The N810 is a better book reader than the N900, no question about it, because of the larger screen. I have been reading Kindle books on the N810 because I like the color screen.
How have you been getting the Kindle books to work on the N810? I thought they were DRM-entangled...
http://www.eff.org.

Tags
makes love to n810, squirt squirt