Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
hi,

thank you both!

jcharpak, I will try that, but my goal isn't espeak itself but to have voice navigation with the maps application, so even your "hack" works, I'm not sure if that solves the map problem. Thanks, anyway, I will do try that.

pichlo, yes, I thought that too, but hoped v46 shall work. I use v46 because of pwnphone image, if I upgrade I will loose some capabilities. I think I shall think things through; I'm just playing with voice navigation, no essential... (: Maybe an older version of espeak would solve the problem...?

Thanks,

jm
just for the record I would like to say that kernel update doesn't solve the espeak sound problem. exporting to wav still works, espeak gui and espeak "hello" has no sound...

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Why dont you update your device to latest kernel power 52/3 with cssu thumb?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
just for the record I would like to say that kernel update doesn't solve the espeak sound problem. exporting to wav still works, espeak gui and espeak "hello" has no sound...
Does anything else have a sound? Media Player, CuteTube, camera, FM radio...? Your problem sounds like espeak is fine but there is some problem with ALSA or some other part of the sound subsystem.

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Why dont you update your device to latest kernel power 52/3 with cssu thumb?
that is a very good question; I'm thinking about this lately. honestly, I read that some users have bugs using latest CSSU, but I'm not following that, so maybe I shall give it a try...

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Does anything else have a sound? Media Player, CuteTube, camera, FM radio...? Your problem sounds like espeak is fine but there is some problem with ALSA or some other part of the sound subsystem.
the interesting thing is that, yes, everthing else has sound; espeak is able to export the text to .wav and I can play that too, that is why I'm stock and have no idea...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
the interesting thing is that, yes, everthing else has sound; espeak is able to export the text to .wav and I can play that too, that is why I'm stock and have no idea...
Not directly related, but I am following this thread now with geat interrest.
I have been trying to build espeak for Sailfish, and I have come across that same issue.
Trying to get espeak to 'speak' will sometimes not only not work, but even reboot the device.
However, outputting to a file works flawlessly.

Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Not directly related, but I am following this thread now with geat interrest.
I have been trying to build espeak for Sailfish, and I have come across that same issue.
Trying to get espeak to 'speak' will sometimes not only not work, but even reboot the device.
However, outputting to a file works flawlessly.
Just a quick update:
- lsmod | grep audio gives nothing, as lsmod doesn't give anything related to sound (snd_ for example);
- sudo modprobe -l | grep sound also gives nothing;
- aplay -l gives:
card 0: RX51 [RX51], device 0: AIC34 tlv 320aic3x-I2S-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: RX51 [RX51], device 1: Bluetooth Bluetooth codec I2S-1 []
Subdevices: 1/1

The phone has sound, so I do not understand this... Maybe there is no driver for espeak...?

jm

The Following User Says Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Hi All,

OK, I think the problem is solved for me... I installed latest CSSU and kernel power v52, but I don't think this was the solution, because...: if I go to "Silent" profile, espeak doesn't have sound, but if I enable "General" profile, it has sound... I do not know why (and why I was think that this could be the problem...), because the videos and musics have sound no matter what profile I'm using... So that's it

Cheers,

jm

The Following User Says Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
if I go to "Silent" profile, espeak doesn't have sound, but if I enable "General" profile, it has sound
Same here. I have never noticed that but I am happy to consider it a "feature".

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
Hmm.. before even googled more (and before found this thread) i built espeak on Jolla, and after first build with pulseaudio, decided to disable it and use gst-launch to get audio out from it...

Code:
espeak --stdout "hello matrix" | gst-launch-0.10 -v fdsrc ! wavparse ! audioconvert ! alsasink

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post: