Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
I proposed a new solution. Basically a key combination, just like the task manager's key combination.

The Following User Says Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Zelig87, you might want to add a link to this thread in brainstorm if you can.
Brainstorm updated with a link to this thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zelig87 For This Useful Post:
In the next firmware update after PR1.1 there won't be "More.." anymore so this brainstorm now becomes invalid.

All applications will be packed into a single scrollable screen.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Florida
Eliminating "More.." (which hasn't happened yet), does not invalidate the request for a shortcut from the desktop to the "More.." menu. It just changes the request to "a shortcut to the application menu.

The problem is, there is no way to skip the 'running apps" screen and jump directly to the applications menu. Or better yet, a way to jump from the desktop to a sub-menu below the applications menu.

The Following User Says Thank You to uncleboarder For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
And since this thread is about being able to create a custom shortcut. Perhaps, that is what we could focus on. User defined shortcuts that use an icon cache that can be easily added to or managed by a casual user.

Now that the novelty of having a mini web page icon for pages saved to the desktop has worn off, I would much rather have the screen real estate back. For instance, if I could user a smaller "news" shortcut icon to open the browser with the page I use for news, or web mail, or the effect of gamma rays, etc.

Configuration that would be pretty much like how shortcuts were defined in Andrew Olmsted's (fiferboy) most excellent Diablo app, Personal Menu v0.9-6

Except these shortcuts could be kept on the actual desktop instead of confined within the enviroment of an app.

Hell, even if Personal Menu was brought over to Maemo5, that could solve both mine and the OP's requests. I could use it to corral my web pages to be just one additional click away and Zelig87 could use it to contain the apps found in "more" to be one less click away.

Perhaps we all should try to contact fiferboy to see what we each could do to help make that happen.

EDIT:

Your request has been submitted.
You can request to join a project by clicking the submit button. An administrator will be emailed to approve or deny your request.
I guess we'll see what we'll see then...

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-03-28 at 01:22. Reason: submitted "Join project" request @ Garage