Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by mohi2k7 View Post
@bundyo its a £200 tablet, what you expect it to be fast as lighting. The ugly UI is a matter of opinion different people like different looks, its not all about version numbers, btw its a successful "android tablet" that dosen't have to pay for Google services.
This $200 tablet has a dual core A9 CPU inside which Android doesn't actually use very much

Sorry for the late replies, I was out of the city

Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
Good article here

http://www.unwiredview.com/2012/04/1...tphone-anyway/
This article is a plain ********..don´t get me wrong, but the guy is apparently just a blind iPhone slave, who thinks there´s Apple and Apple only...if this is a modern, forced globalization, I´m outta it...

Last edited by jleholeho; 2012-04-19 at 14:43.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17769772:

Nokia's chief executive Stephen Elop said he was pleased with the awards and acclaim for the company's Lumia devices, but added: "The actual sales results have been mixed."
Awards and acclaim don't pay the bills. Elop's response to "mixed" sales results? Do more of what he's already been doing, and do it faster.

When in hole, do you stop digging... or do you bring in a freakin' JCB and go for gold?

Whatever, too late anyway.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post
This article is a plain ********..don´t get me wrong, but the guy is apparently just a blind iPhone slave, who thinks there´s Apple and Apple only...if this is a modern, forced globalization, I´m outta it...
This. I had a 3650 in 2003 and would consider it already as a "smartphone". Oh nature, how i hate that term now...

The author is an Apple aficionado. Also, his "updated" definition of Applephone, err smartphone includes "always on connectivity" - therefore my N900 doesn't count as such, as i only connect 3G or WiFi on-demand.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
This. I had a 3650 in 2003 and would consider it already as a "smartphone". Oh nature, how i hate that term now...
I had a Nokia 9210 in 2001. Try calling that anything but a smartphone.

But yeah, that was back when the term "smartphone" actually meant something.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
Good article here

http://www.unwiredview.com/2012/04/1...tphone-anyway/
Holy ****, was that brain rotting.

Symbian really blurs the line between smartphones and dumbphones.

The 2008-9 S40 devices are indistinguishable from S60 v3 FP1/2 devices.

I swear I used to run OpenSSH on my N95, watched MKVs using CorePlayer, ran Python scripts on-device, "jailbroke" it using HelloOX, browsed the Desktop internet with Flash (lite) on Opera Mobile, wrote documents on it using Quickoffice, ran Windows 95 in an emulator, played GBA games on it, had full-text contact searching, 3.5G connectivity, a built-in GPS AND multitasked between programs on the ridiculously cheap computing hardware Nokia squeezed in.

Try doing that on an iPhone 2G.
iOS 3.1.3, with no mobilesubstrates will leave you with about 48MB of RAM doing nothing at all after a fresh boot, and about 24MB after the OS caches some stuff, making the thing actually usable.

There is no multitasking out of the box. You have to install a substrate which eats up 6MB of RAM.
You have 18MB left, which is about enough to run the stock apps, or a 3 tabs in Mobile Safari, or Cydia (2 minutes to reload data).

At this point, with the meagre MBX (same one on the N95), you won't run any of the eye candy games.
18MB of RAM is also not anywhere near enough to smoothly run a GBA emulator, or any emulators for that matter.
No flash, because it's an ARMv6 chip, but who cares, it's a dead technology.

Fast forward 2 years later - iPhone 3GS vs N900.
Both are running Cortex-A8s, stock clocked at 600MHz.
The 3GS has a better GPU and a lower screen resolution - there is no excuse for lag here.
The N900 has a slower GPU and a higher screen resolution, not as smooth as the demo videos promised.
If you launch all the stock apps though, you'll find that the N900 barely breaks a sweat keeping all those open.
The 3GS? Multitasking not delivered until iOS4, and even then, it wasn't real multitasking.
If Zen Bound was anything to go by, the N900's hardware is perfectly capable to become a gaming platform on the same level, if not better than the 3GS, hardware keyboard and all that.
The N900 came with a browser that did desktop websites with ease, the iPhone using a mobile UA as always.
Oh, and we were also pretty integrated with the cool social networks. Upload directly from gallery, unified messaging for every network you can imagine, built-in Skype support, and it fetches your contacts' mugshots off Facebook.

Nokia's got what it takes to make something to beat the big names in the smartphone segment.
They just needed the leadership to go all the way.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2012-04-19 at 15:27.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
That article proves one thing... marketing done right lasts a long time.

Originally Posted by Cue View Post
More signs that the house of cards is collapsing

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/19/29...quits-vp-sales
“… Nokia is not planning on replacing Giles, instead saying it sees the departure as “reducing a layer of sales management.”

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't large multi-national companies who rely on sales actually need someone to head their sales department?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
They are not large anymore. They have to shrink. NOKIA will become a smaller company as it has to redefine its core.

Tags
backdoors, buysomethinelse, danrantos, goodbye nokia, lumiadork, lumiaturd, nsa_cia_lumia, seasons in sun