Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@ascherjim: mplayer can play both. run it from the command line with the optios i gave in the first post of this thread.

@sachin007: install becomeroot and nano, then:
Code:
sudo gainroot
nano /file/to/edit

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
@ascherjim: mplayer can play both. run it from the command line with the optios i gave in the first post of this thread.
Johnx: I tried command line approach and got long readings with the phrase "Unknown PCM bluetooth" and "alsa-init: Playback open error: No such file or directory" recurring frequently. This is getting beyond my Linux comfort level. I'll just wait for your(?) further refinements. Thanks. Jim

I got my BT headphones paired (BlueAnt X5's), but it sounds like crap (I expected that), but I thought Kagu supported A2DP, but I cannot install Kagu and I am running OS2008 on an N800. Hopefully, we get this all sorted out because I am not really that great with Linux and xterm.....so yeah. I would also like to know why I cannot install Kagu?

Originally Posted by bartsimpson123844 View Post
I got my BT headphones paired (BlueAnt X5's), but it sounds like crap (I expected that), but I thought Kagu supported A2DP, but I cannot install Kagu and I am running OS2008 on an N800. Hopefully, we get this all sorted out because I am not really that great with Linux and xterm.....so yeah. I would also like to know why I cannot install Kagu?
After flashing my OS800, I too was unable to install Kagu at first. But then I also installed through the Application Manager python-runtime, which was apparently what Kagu required. Now it installs and runs fine. Except the Kagu developers haven't yet got their OS800 version working with a2dp, as before, which is one of the prime reasons I favored Kagu. I have the same wonderful Motorola Bluetooth headphones that Johnx is apparently using. I do hope we can get this a2dp matter straightened out. John x is doing a yeoman job.

Ah, yeah, I got it figured out. Man, it really sucks that I can't use my new headphones successfully. Come on, let's get A2DP to work, Please!

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
For those of you who have A2P working - and HST - what's the difference?
My Kyocera's work in stereo showing HST.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@gemniii42: I assume you meant HSP? HSP is low quality mono sound, and A2DP is higher quality stereo sound. Different headphones will react differently when playing back via HSP. Yours might be playing mono sound out of both speakers?

@bartsimpson123844: Any help that you want to provide testing or troubleshooting will definitely help get it released faster.

@ascherjim: I ran into that same error message while testing. It's kind of the generic "for some reason mplayer didn't manage to connect to your headphones."

Well, I would love to help in any way I can. I, however, am not very good with linux or programming or anything so....I don't know how much use I could be.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Originally Posted by bartsimpson123844 View Post
Well, I would love to help in any way I can. I, however, am not very good with linux or programming or anything so....I don't know how much use I could be.
Hey sometimes not knowing is an asset in testing. Things an expert would see, say oh yeah, fix and not report cause "everybody knows that" get easily in your way.

On the other side. Weirdness here. I was getting 'dropouts on the mplayer command so... I desiced to pipe the output to a file to easily post it to this forum. Now when I pipe the output of mssglevel to a file the output is clean. Whe I send it to screen it's choppy. Seems to be that the effort the system applies to writing to screen gets in the way of writing to the audio device.

However there are a number of errors(?) in the file all about an invalid new backstep. I'm not sure but I don't think it's a commentary on The Allman Brothers Band.

Arrrghhh... the forum doesn't allow gzip .... *R%$# attaching as txt with a freaking extension so this forum can handle it *sigh* and it still won't work so try this URL instead http://linuxrebel.org/mplayer-out.txt.gz

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
My results so far:
the good: clean, stereo sound coming out of my Motorola HT820 headphones.
the bad: ~50% CPU usage @ 320MHz. I same to have some rare issues where the music will slow down and drop in pitch (Think of the sound a portable tape player makes when it's running out of batteries.) Skipping whenever I do something else CPU intensive.
the ugly: mplayer complains quite a bit during playback:
Code:
Starting playback...
alsa-play: write error: Broken pipe14.5% 44%                                    
alsa-play: trying to reset soundcard
alsa-play: write error: Broken pipe14.5% 46%                                    
alsa-play: write error: Broken pipe14.6% 46%                                    
I can confirm all of the above results. The skipping is really bad. I can't do anything else or the music will skip. I hope we can get this to work.

@linuxrebel. Do I understand it correctly when you say you get it working outside of the command line?

Furthermore video playback is not possible, because mplayer doesn't seem to be functioning with alsa when playing video. I hope this gets fixed as well, we've been waiting for a2dp for far too long now!