Poll: Is anyone here just a Maemo Fan and not a Maemo Expert?
Poll Options
Is anyone here just a Maemo Fan and not a Maemo Expert?

Is anyone here just a Maemo Fan and not a Maemo/Linux Expert?

I was just wondering - I understand that this forum began as a hive for the developers and enthusiasts - but now with a mainstream device in the N900, there's going to be (or is?) a growth of N900 users/fans who are simply just that.

Just N900 fans (or Maemo/tablet fans) who just enjoy using it, but (as Andrew Flegg put it) probably don't know what a command line is or how to recompile the kernel.

Me - I'm just a tablet/phone user. I just know what features I'd like to see in phones and annoyances that I don't. I read up now and again on Symbian related issues but never delving into the overly technical side of things.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JayMontano For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
same boat mate, I'm really interested in user friendliness issues and some other random things but sadly I know nothing about coding

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Australia
Also...!
I have read every n900 post here start to finish and watched (probably) every n900 video thus far! For me the strength of Maemo Nxxx is in this community and in its potential to fulfil individual needs. I don't want to code, I don't need the command line. What I desire is a pocketable and fully capable computer for when I'm not at my desk..... Fortunately this reality is near!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Practically everybody here started out as a Maemo fan. Back in 2006 with my 770 I didn't know very much about Linux and I knew nothing at all about Maemo. Developers and experts aren't spawned, they learn and grow over time.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-09-19 at 10:47.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I'm a Maemo user. I know what the command line is, I've only recently learned a few commands for terminal. I'm sure I'll learn more over time. I've done simple coding in various programs/languages, so I understand the basic structure of how coding works. That's about where it end at this point in time though.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Well I'm Chris, and I blog about Maemo and other Nokia OSes as a bridge between the developers and end users. I don't code either, but will probably teach myself how on my journey to learn both sides. I want to be the Maemo almanac in a few years. Glad to see you guys here. We'll only make this community richer, and accelerate the innovation of new features and apps directly, which will be amazing. I've dreamt of what's about to happen for many years now. Let's just hope WE, not Nokia, can pull it off.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
There are a lot of Maemo fans here that are learning just like everyone else. A lot of people got into learning Linux through their interest in Maemo, as people have said before.

Even just by lurking here on the forums, you'll learn quite a bit. Don't worry about your level of knowledge, don't worry about asking questions - someone will help you out and after a while you'll start helping others out as well.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
I'm another non-developer/expert. My interest is more around how the device and platform can be used as a mainstream device, I want to understand why command line is meaningful to everyone and not just the developers in the crowd. I'm a product manager/marketing guy who is more interested in solving the functional case...

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Put me in the Fan/User category. I can't code squat, sorry. But I've used Linux as my primary OS since 2001 and know my way around it some. Started out by building a mail server runing RedHat 6.2. A mail server which BTW, ran for 3 years untouched, no reboot, 'til finally the CPU fan seized.

But I'll probably use the N900 more or less as is. I'll do (most) app installs through the App Manager like any ordinary user would. Reliability is a high priority for me since I'll rely on the N900 for heavy work-related use, plus it's my only phone - no land line.

I'll put it this way...I've had a HTC G1 since pre-order and never bothered to root it. Never really needed to, and couldn't risk losing use of it. Oh, I'll do plenty of playin' aorund with the N900, but it will have to be of the low risk variety.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2009-09-19 at 15:42.

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
im in the same category.