Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Microsoft majorly burned their customers. The switch from Windows Mobile 6.5 to Windows Phone 7 completely killed backwards compatibility even though they are based on the same architecture and use the same kernel. The WP7 to WM8 transition completely eliminated any backwards compatibility. WM8 to WM10 was a smaller transition from an architectural standpoint and API but it created a significant compatibility gap that caused several applications to be broken. These transitions were worsened by the lack of upgrades for many devices and high system requirements. These transitions were unnecessary and caused many users to jump ship and caused developers to jump ship due to the extra work required to bridge compatibility with the different platforms. Microsoft screwed up badly.

Windows RT was a mess because it was abandoned with Windows 10 and it was unnecessarily limited to Windows Runtime applications even though Windows RT can br jailbreaked to use Win32 apps.

Microsoft abandoned the Zune Even though the brand could easily be reused. A Zune phone with high storage capacity and slick Zune aesthetics would be an excellent iPhone competitor. Overall the Lumia's didn't have the quality of design the Zunes did.

Windows Mobile pocketpc and Windows CE was an excellent platform which had lots of applications and devices. It was slim and could run much better than Android could on low end hardware. It's similarities to regular Windows made it great for existing developers. It was technically a full Windows system with Win32 and .net though slimmed down.

Pocketpc could have been given a modern revamped interface and used on phones, supporting existing ppc apps with new guidelines for modern apps. Windows CE which is virtually identical to PPC could have been used for arm laptops or for tablets and given a tablet friendly interface.

At every step of the way Microsoft did everything wrong that could be done wrong and I say this as a person that likes Microsoft products.
I wonder why I had a deja vu experience reading and relating this to a certain mobile phone brand Which also, by the way, is connected to Micro$oft...

I personally think that if Micro$oft wouldnt have the market share, amount of small stuff under the hood and couple such good old programs, they would have killed themselves 10-15 years ago. They are living off of the historical success they enjoyed during the dawn and childhood of the computer age. If Linux and iOS would relatively been as good as they are today some 20 years ago... Micro$oft wouldn have stand chance with mistakes they have done. Think not only one, but two huge mistakes in their number one product (Vista and WIN 8) to topp all the small mistakes. Edge for example.

But as in many aspects of life, size matters and they had it enough to weather their mistakes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Poland
OK, OK, I promise to keep my mouth shut ;-) But I'm afraid it won't help anyway. Most of my friends are available on Hangouts, but a few are mainly available only through Skype, that would be a pity to loose contact here... Maybe at least they could release source code for older clients? :-P Nah, that won't happen too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sylwiusz For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by sylwiusz View Post
Maybe at least they could release source code for older clients? :-P Nah, that won't happen too.
That will never happen as the newer protocols are based on the older; doing that would also reveal what's in the new protocols.

Also bear in mind that these protocols are both insecure and have delibrate backdoors for 3-letter-agencies; hence it is not in the intrest of Skype & MS to let anybody peek at the protocols.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
I wonder why I had a deja vu experience reading and relating this to a certain mobile phone brand Which also, by the way, is connected to Micro$oft...

I personally think that if Micro$oft wouldnt have the market share, amount of small stuff under the hood and couple such good old programs, they would have killed themselves 10-15 years ago. They are living off of the historical success they enjoyed during the dawn and childhood of the computer age. If Linux and iOS would relatively been as good as they are today some 20 years ago... Micro$oft wouldn have stand chance with mistakes they have done. Think not only one, but two huge mistakes in their number one product (Vista and WIN 8) to topp all the small mistakes. Edge for example.

But as in many aspects of life, size matters and they had it enough to weather their mistakes.
Microsoft got lucky. They were chosen as the IBM pc platform and they bought CPM. By having Microsoft own the platform rather than IBM, Microsoft made the money.

Had the Macintosh been clonable then it would have been better able to compete and there would have been a larger market for powerpc hardware which would have kept powerpc from dying and enabled the R&D necessary to compete with Intel. Had Commodore not been poorly managed then the Amiga would have been a real Windows competitor. There were also other potential competitors like BeOS, IBM Aix, HP UX, IBM Os2, Solaris, Atari's Oses and various other competitors that never made it for various reasons.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Another episode in Skype for older devices drama is supposed to happen on 1 of March:
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-an...ients-march-1/
I really don't believe this would happen only due to move to more modern infrastructure, I think M$ has mainly business reasons for this. They want to push users of older OSes to upgrade (unlikely that they'd do it for Skype alone) and they don't want to dedicate staff for maintaining old infrastructure (not a big cost as it could happen on just some VM with software appropriate for older Skype clients). So, on 1 March we'll see if Skype on our faithful Maeomo/Meego devices would die or not.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sylwiusz For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Thanks for sharing. Life :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Yeah, but pity as Skype is nicely integrated with Meego and Maemo. Fortuntely Google Talk still works via jabber (albeit it was stripped in 2015 from possibility to send pictures in chat) but no voice possibilities except mayby fo qgvdial - google voice client. And new (still in development) telegram client looks promising so far:
https://openrepos.net/content/hedaya...dy-meetelegram

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sylwiusz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Poland
So after 5 years of flawless skype integration I will no longer be able to cause shock and disbelief among my tech-savvy friends. That is sad, but doesn't make me love my N9 any less.

Regarding the Hedayat's telegram client, I would urge all talented developers who have at heart the good condition of the N9 as a communication tool, to join in this project. At least to some extent. Meego was supposted to die long time ago, but how come we can use so many features in 2017 without a single update? Magic? No, that's just a clever approach that lacks in most contemporary smarphone designs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to prosper For This Useful Post:
For me this level of integration was always brilliant. Mind you, that at the beginning Google Talk was tightly integrated with Android (it was 2.x AFAIR), you could see people's online status in address book, start chat from there and so on. Sadly with newer Android versions and switch to "better" Hangouts it is no more integrated with system in any way. In fact it is not that obvious in Hangouts application itself who is online and who is not. Strange, perhaps Google did this due to GSM operators lobby which saw danger for their paid voice and text services... As usual - money are more important than pushing our world forward :-(

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sylwiusz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
seriously ,you guys should kick them before they kick you . i deleted various accounts last year and Sk*pe was one of them and deleting a Sk*pe account is such a pain in the butt. but then i realized that i was the only one among my friends without Sk*pe. not many people are into open source .

The Following User Says Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post: