Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
I am wondering which would cause more power consumption, > memory usage, > swapping, or more CPU usage? I recently flashed my N9 because previously it was constantly draining the battery at 50mA when idling. I am slowly installing back all the apps I used to install before flashing, and I currently have these apps that would run in background installed

* wazapp
* fastern9
* maemo-scrobbler
* rocket (twitter client, as the stock client often freezes for no reason)
* ringing-restorer

Just in case you are wondering about my sync settings, my MfE is set to sync "daily" during off peak hours only. I don't run any IM (except wazapp) in idle state, and emails are sync manually.

I just uninstalled battery usage monitoring app <http://n9-apps.com/battery-usage> because it wouldn't show how much power each daemon is consuming.

Is there a way to somehow profile/trace/find out what is causing the battery drain? I am asking this because the idling power consumption of my device varies from time to time. Most of the time it would be around 15mA, but there are times it would shoot up to ~35mA, or even ~55mA, ~80mA, > 100mA.

When I run (h)top, I sometimes see smartsearch appearing in the top of the list so I chmod'ed it to inexecutable and killed it. But this doesn't seem to cure the random power consumption problem because even when it is not running my device would sometimes consume > 15mA in idle state. I then chmod'ed it back to the original executable state, and instead made it to run at lower priority as stated in this post <http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1222286&postcount=6>. Most of the other threads that talk about high power consumption would somehow advice making it inexecutable, but I sometimes do use the search app, so ended up re-enabling it.

P/S: is there a way to stop twitter-meego from running as I replaced it with rocket?

Posts: 368 | Thanked: 826 times | Joined on May 2012 @ India
First of all, wazapp is a huge battery hog, and I'm not surprised with battery drain. You gotta decide you love your battery or whatsapp more

Rocket also runs daemons that use lot of power.

I prefer system notifications via inbuilt client, as it is most power efficient. I gained a lot of battery after I switched off qneptunea notifications.

I clear the twitter cache via profilematic every night, and twitter client is always smooth.

FasterN9 increases drain only a little bit, but I cant live without it. As the smoothness is well worth the battery.

Also check in homescreen feed update and other update intervals if they are updating too frequently

I personally felt that Rocket doesn't do much impact on Battery life. Wazapp on the other hand is really an enigma. Sometimes, it's ok, other times it's just guzzling the juice down until you exit and relaunch again.

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/..._PowerTOP.html

Nice tool to check consumption rather than feeling what's causing it It list per activity how much wakeups it causes
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
How do we start powerTop?
EDIT : It's not installed in power analysis tools. We have to apt-get it

Last edited by bibek; 2013-01-26 at 11:05.

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Attached powertop .deb
General warnings apply when installing .debs from the net I am not responsible.youHowever there should nothing go wrong as it comes from:
downloads.maemo.nokia.com/harmattan/tools/powertop_1.13.68+0m6_armel.deb

I don't even own a N9:P But pleased to help you
Attached Files
File Type: deb powertop_1.13.68+0m6_armel.deb (16.8 KB, 125 views)
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Dubrovnik, Croatia
regarding wazapp and battery idle consumption - latest official version nearly solved the issue... now only once in a while idle consumption goes up... I'm using Battery Usage app, and I notice that, when consumption goes up, it is due to "Audio Playback" - out of nowhere it goes on the top postions of the "Top energy consumers" list in Battery usage app. (usage is reported as 100% background)… then I quit Wazapp, start it again, briefly plug N9 to charger, just to reset the Battery Usage app data, and the idle consumption goes down to the usual level… hope it helps… and hope this old "Audio playback" Wazapp issue is to be solved soon…

[tw] @kegnatz

I was about to refllash my device because of the battery drain, then i was thinking, maybe the battery was getting old, but i checked with app "systeminfo" free from OVI, and there battery use was always more than 0.65.mA current flow, hope this powertop app will help me find out what's going on with my phone!
Btw. i don't use none of this apps: fastern9, rocket, facebook app, wazap, profile or ringrestore, and any feed update is set to manualy, all background connections are off, no email client on use, where almost all of this activities i use webbrowser opera or firefox and not that much, but the battery drains within 24h only about 20-30% is left!
I use twitter but manualy connected and rarelly post any pic or tweet.

Last edited by An9; 2013-01-27 at 06:39.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Originally Posted by bibek View Post
First of all, wazapp is a huge battery hog, and I'm not surprised with battery drain. You gotta decide you love your battery or whatsapp more

Rocket also runs daemons that use lot of power.

I prefer system notifications via inbuilt client, as it is most power efficient. I gained a lot of battery after I switched off qneptunea notifications.

I clear the twitter cache via profilematic every night, and twitter client is always smooth.

FasterN9 increases drain only a little bit, but I cant live without it. As the smoothness is well worth the battery.

Also check in homescreen feed update and other update intervals if they are updating too frequently
so it is possible to clear the cache of the stock twitter client? where is it located? I have been thinking of re-installing profilematic but not sure whether having another daemon running in background is a good decision :P
EDIT: found it here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...er#post1302982

my homescreen is generally updating once every hour (for fb, not sure about rocket, duration is not configurable iirc). I switched off all notifications from social networks except facebook chat msg and twitter mentions/DM.

as with wazapp... I really don't like it (but it is a nice piece of s/w, i just don't like the fact that i am on yet another IM network) but I do need it at times.. so

---------------

@mr_pingu I have read doc about power top but didn't realize wakeups would consume > power, will give it a try

Last edited by Jeffrey04; 2013-01-27 at 03:50.

It seems rocket should not consume too much power as event feed publication is handled by system, without the app running. (pretty cool style in harmattan )

for twitter client cache cleaning, use this once a day.
rm home/user/.cache/data/twitter/twcache*

u can create a desktop file to do the action on click, or whatever way you like