Active Topics

Using joikusport type solution will suck battery empty super fast compared to bluetooth

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Yes but Wi-Fi is sometimes more flexible in terms of device support.

Both methods have their advantages but in certain circumstances Joikuspot is the preferable one (for example if your laptop has Wi-Fi but no Bluetooth, or if its Bluetooth doesn't work with Bluetooth modems).
The ideal solution is BlueTooth DUN/PAN or USB.

The dirty hack in case of emergency is JoikuSpot. There are not that many situations where this dirty hack is necessary. Yeah, I know you can't get BlueTooth PAN or DUN on iPod touch. That is why I've started to hate the goddamn thing (or rather the corporation behind it) slowly but surely more and more...

As said, it doesn't provide adequete cryptopgraphy or authentication, and it sucks the battery dry (no PSM). IMO in both use cases VPN between at least the 2 devices is necessary.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
so at this point as we know it n900 will not be able to tether - am I correct ?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by bAxon View Post
so at this point as we know it n900 will not be able to tether [out of the box]
The bit I've added (and emphasised) is important. What it'll able to do, and what it's able to do out-of-the-box are two very different things.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Yes but Wi-Fi is sometimes more flexible in terms of device support.

Both methods have their advantages but in certain circumstances Joikuspot is the preferable one (for example if your laptop has Wi-Fi but no Bluetooth, or if its Bluetooth doesn't work with Bluetooth modems).
I am a HEAVY S60 ( N95) Joikuspot user ( actually right now) and I do agree with above, it is fantastic to be free of a cable, but power consumption is massive.
so to be able to use Joikuspot for more than a few minutes it needs to be connected to a power output. However the new N900 can charge via micro USB right, so if connected to a PC it will charge at the same time...like my 10 year old PDA did...
but wireless seems quite a bit more modern...

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by bAxon View Post
so at this point as we know it n900 will not be able to tether - am I correct ?
if you want to use the N900 as a gateway for say a laptop then plug the USB cable in and off you go. If you need to connect wirelessly then use the simple mod.

If you want to use the N900 with another phone to get connection on say AT&T in USA then use PAN/DUN via bluetooth as you would do for N8x0 before.

That help?

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
If you want to use the N900 with another phone to get connection on say AT&T in USA then use PAN/DUN via bluetooth as you would do for N8x0 before.

That help?
But is this either going to be (1) included or (2) available via download at some point? It was called an 'awkward situation' earlier in this thread, but yes - I have a Blackberry with unlimited data, and would love to be able to tether the N900 to it as a client, either via BT or USB. (Actually, love is too weak of a word - if I can't do it, it's not worth it, since a separate data plan for the N900 is just too much. I'll just keep dragging around my netbook.)

Originally Posted by imokruok View Post
But is this either going to be (1) included or (2) available via download at some point? It was called an 'awkward situation' earlier in this thread, but yes - I have a Blackberry with unlimited data, and would love to be able to tether the N900 to it as a client, either via BT or USB. (Actually, love is too weak of a word - if I can't do it, it's not worth it, since a separate data plan for the N900 is just too much. I'll just keep dragging around my netbook.)
I'm in the same boat, although I want the BT tether, not just USB. Any thoughts from those who now have the N900 in their hands?

Originally Posted by imokruok View Post
(1) Bluetooth tethering (client or server) is not included
(2) possible, but not promised by anybody

Originally Posted by McChicken View Post
I am a HEAVY S60 ( N95) Joikuspot user ( actually right now) and I do agree with above, it is fantastic to be free of a cable, but power consumption is massive.
so to be able to use Joikuspot for more than a few minutes it needs to be connected to a power output. However the new N900 can charge via micro USB right, so if connected to a PC it will charge at the same time...like my 10 year old PDA did...
but wireless seems quite a bit more modern...
Why dont you just use the Nokia Suite via bluetooth - its free and very quick.