PAND works well on N800/OS2007, n800 doesn't have the module bnep.ko because it
was statically linked into kernel, so it is here!
Simply search this forum for the "HowTo" that works very well here.

Sorry for my bad english...

I have been following this thread because I really want to be able to use my cell as a modem. However, I have stumbled across this:

http://mobile.msmobiles.com/news.php?id=6740

which basically permits one to turn their WM6 phone into a wifi access point. I have tried it and it works. It also does not require any funky configuration business on the N800. Supports the WM6 built-in security also so it is not open to every wacko within range, just your n800 if you config it properly.

Now, I don't want to detract from the N8x0 delivering on PAN, as I think this is a very useful capability to have since normal BT arbitration of a BT net sucks or is non-existent. But if there is anyone who desperately needs the pass-through capability on their cell they can go to the post above. I figured there'd be a few folks in that category on this forum.

I have tested this only on the ATT 8525 and no other phones. Use at your own risk.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
I don't seem to have the bnep.ko kernel module
Clearly, I was not exploring enough. The BNEP driver is built into the kernel on Diablo.

I pulled the old pand and hcitool utilities from a back up I had from OS2007, and they work fine under Diablo! I have even used my old shell script to connect to my laptop via IP over Bluetooth. Works like a charm.

Why did I do it this way? Because I didn't want to lose my wlan0 interface when connected to bluetooth. Afterall, this is linux, it can handle more than one interface being active at a time. Of course the downside is that I must manually connect, but I don't mind.

I have put a deb with pand and hcitool at:
http://www.makikiweb.com/n800/downlo....0-1_armel.deb

Just download and install:
dpkg -i os2007_pand_tools-1.0.0-1_armel.deb

The old pand how-tos still work:
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HOWT...othNetworking/
http://bluez.sourceforge.net/contrib/HOWTO-PAN

So if you had PAN working before (with OS2007), then go ahead and connect again using the old pand utility.

I hope this helps,

Craig...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvmiller For This Useful Post:
Note that the maemo-pan package works (although I'm not sure it's in the right repo) with Diablo. It just requires a small shell script and a dummy wifi connection until Nokia fixes the bug. It's probably worth sticking with the maemo-pan package which is more integrated with the connectivity -- it's very easy to use with chinook but requires an extra step in Diablo.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by andreww View Post
Note that the maemo-pan package works (although I'm not sure it's in the right repo) with Diablo. It just requires a small shell script and a dummy wifi connection until Nokia fixes the bug. It's probably worth sticking with the maemo-pan package which is more integrated with the connectivity -- it's very easy to use with chinook but requires an extra step in Diablo.
I don't disagree. As I mentioned, I wanted both interfaces to be active at the same time, and that doesn't seem possible with the way maemo-pan is plugged into the wlan configuration.

Craig...