Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
hi all...
just saw someone flash a netbook that was using windows ce with the android os. it got me to thinking....can we use maemo5 os on a netbook? and if so...where do we start in order to do this?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "maemo 5 on netbook?" with one post has been merged into this thread.

As the title says, is it possible to port Maemo 5 to the Nexus One hardware?

My brother has a Nexus One while I have an N900. I would like to see Android running on my device while he would like to see Maemo running on his.

Any suggestions about how to go about porting Maemo 5 to Nexus One?

i'm sure it's possible. just don't think there is much demand for porting maemo to the nexus one.

Originally Posted by bxbomber View Post
i'm sure it's possible. just don't think there is much demand for porting maemo to the nexus one.
Yes agreed. Amongst the developers there does not seem to be much interest.

I saw this request on xda-developers forum as well but again, it needs at least one developer who's willing to make the effort.
Personally, I don't know anything about porting an OS otherwise I'd certainly try.

It may help though if someone could point us in the right direction, then I can pass the info on to xda.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Possible to port Maemo 5 to Nexus One hardware?" with three posts has been merged into this thread.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Mer on Archos:

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=33129

http://www.slashgear.com/archos-5-ge...video-1084946/

So, in answer to the OP, yes.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Is there any mobile platform with open 3D drivers?

After some research of most common Android hardware I found that nor Qualcomm MSM7200A, nor Samsung S3C6410 chips have open 3D driver available.

Lack of 3D is a showstopper for porting Maemo 5 (as N810 owners sadly found out).

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Motorola XT701 might be a target. It's based on Cortex A8.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
I'm not that experience with Android myself, but there was some interesting stuff written recently with the spat between the kernel maintainers and the Android team about removal of the source from the staging tree.

The Android kernel code is more than just the few weird drivers that were in the drivers/staging/android subdirectory in the kernel. In order to get a working Android system, you need the new lock type they have created, as well as hooks in the core system for their security model.

In order to write a driver for hardware to work on Android, you need to properly integrate into this new lock, as well as sometimes the bizarre security model. Oh, and then there's the totally-different framebuffer driver infrastructure as well.

This means that any drivers written for Android hardware platforms, can not get merged into the main kernel tree because they have dependencies on code that only lives in Google's kernel tree, causing it to fail to build in the kernel.org tree.

Because of this, Google has now prevented a large chunk of hardware drivers and platform code from ever getting merged into the main kernel tree. Effectively creating a kernel branch that a number of different vendors are now relying on.

Now branches in the Linux kernel source tree are fine and they happen with every distro release. But this is much worse. Because Google doesn't have their code merged into the mainline, these companies creating drivers and platform code are locked out from ever contributing it back to the kernel community. The kernel community has for years been telling these companies to get their code merged, so that they can take advantage of the security fixes, and handle the rapid API churn automatically. And these companies have listened, as is shown by the larger number of companies contributing to the kernel every release.

source:http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/andro...html?seemore=y
So it's mostly a standard kernel with some out of tree patches. I believe the dispute was resolved and Google/OHA have promised to work to get the patches back into mainline. But it appear that the biggest problem is drivers (not surprisingly); maybe dj_steve has some perspective on this based on this nitdroid experience?

Tags
fremantle, harmattan, install, iphone, maemo, maemo 4, maemo 5, maemo 6, mer, non-nokia, operating system, palm pre