Active Topics

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
I guess they have the n900 to test on, but I always thought they wanted to guarantee it works on the n900 so we don't get pissed off, not just for their own purposes.
Plenty of advantages to doing this besides not pissing people off (which, for the record, most of you are constantly are being anyway :

* Cheap and capable development device for MeeGo ARM
* Device that exists in the open, doesn't require a NDA to use, QA and develop for
* Linux has already in the past been working on the device - less hardware adaptation needed, people have time to actually develop upper layers instead of fighting with constant crashes
* Useful for validating MeeGo on ARM and quality checking
* Due to MeeGo ARM is compiled for ARMv7 in a device agnostic manner, the same work being done to improve MeeGo ARM using N900 will (and is) enabling easy hardware adaptation on Broadcom, nVidia Tegra 2, ST-E U8500, Marvell, TI OMAP3/4, Qualcomm QSD..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by SSLMM View Post
It's actually "Men in black,what are you doing?", but still i don't get the meaning too, and i'm portuguese
Originally Posted by luiscesjr View Post
Hey, no don't get me wrong mate =)
I am not racist.
That means " Men in Black, what do you do? "
It's a phrase a police here usually says.
From this movie .
If it's "men in black", wouldn't it be "homem em preto?" ("de" making it "men of [being] black", "em" making it "men in [wearing] black")? It's nuanced, and I'm not in the habit of speaking Portuguese all the time so I could be wrong.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 292 | Thanked: 348 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
If it's "men in black", wouldn't it be "homem em preto?" ("de" making it "men of [being] black", "em" making it "men in [wearing] black")? It's nuanced, and I'm not in the habit of speaking Portuguese all the time so I could be wrong.
Well Danramos you are not wrong, but not that right eighter =)
The translation of in, it's not specifically em.
In portuguese, "in" could be translated as "em, de , dentro..." and so on...
And in this case, the concordance ( is this word right? ) asks for
de, explaining that they wear black.
If I had used em preto, it could be that they are inside any black
thing, without specificity ( right too? ).

Hope this helps =)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luiscesjr For This Useful Post:
Well Danramos you are not wrong, but not that right eighter =)
The translation of in, it's not specifically em.
In portuguese, "in" could be translated as "em, de , dentro..." and so on...
And in this case, the concordance ( is this word right? ) asks for
de, explaining that they wear black.
If I had used em preto, it could be that they are inside any black
thing, without specificity ( right too? ).

Hope this helps =)
Actually, it does. The context is what decides which specific word conveys a specific meaning and it didn't seem right to me--but you're far more likely to be right seeing as how you live the language far more than I do. Thanks! Always good to meet other Portuguese speaking folks online!

Also--it's a FAR more interesting conversation than the original one. Thanks again!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-02-03 at 23:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 292 | Thanked: 348 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
Actually, it does. The context is what decides which specific word conveys a specific meaning and it didn't seem right to me--but you're far more likely to be right seeing as how you live the language far more than I do. Thanks! Always good to meet other Portuguese speaking folks online!

Also--it's a FAR more interesting conversation than the original one. Thanks again!
Haha, I see it's really interesting!
Well, portuguese I studied for all my life, since I am brazilian,
but we never stop learning, it's a real hard language, so I imagine
how it can be for you, who probably is a english native speaker,
to understand a latin language!

The Following User Says Thank You to luiscesjr For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by SSLMM View Post
It's actually "Men in black,what are you doing?", but still i don't get the meaning too, and i'm portuguese
Hahaha! More Portuguese lessons for DanRamos please! k thx.

By the way, can this N9 make phonecalls?

Originally Posted by Reffyyyy View Post
I hope the N9 has integrated Google Search so we don't have to see 8 threads about the same subject.

Google.com just does not suffice anymore.
umm...the N900 has a Google Search widget.

The Following User Says Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Haha, I see it's really interesting!
Well, portuguese I studied for all my life, since I am brazilian,
but we never stop learning, it's a real hard language, so I imagine
how it can be for you, who probably is a english native speaker,
to understand a latin language!
Well, not THAT hard--my grandparents ONLY speak Portuguese and my parents were both born in Portugal and only spoke Portuguese during the first few years of my life until I started going to school and they wanted us to speak English at home to help bolster our professional careers--a decision I'm very happy that they had made. Just the same, it's great to learn anything and I've tried to learn whatever I can about Portuguese and to some degree Japanese (thanks to friends I used to hang around with in California) in particular whenever possible.

Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
Hahaha! More Portuguese lessons for DanRamos please! k thx.

By the way, can this N9 make phonecalls?
Possibly even makes phone calls in Portuguese!

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Possibly even makes phone calls in Portuguese!
Wouldn't that be the turtleneck guy?
Next $10 upgrade will support the user speaking Russian, French, German, Hindi, etc... And the fans go like "WoW!, thats freaking awesome!"
That's an amazing ecosystem. Now I understand why other manufacturers/companies feel jealous about it!

Tags
hot hot hot, let it r.i.p, lmgtfy, meego=dead, men in black, search works?, will smith, yes it does!