It worries me that things like tethering, that "shouldn't be complicated" are not out of the box for the N900... I guess the schedule for developing was too demanding and cuts had to be done.

In any case, since many users will want this, the software patch for it should be well promoted.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
It worries me that things like tethering, that "shouldn't be complicated" are not out of the box for the N900... I guess the schedule for developing was too demanding and cuts had to be done.

In any case, since many users will want this, the software patch for it should be well promoted.
Tethering between the tablets and my phone has always worked for me and was as easy as a few clicks in the gui? It was never complicated or unsupported.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Actually Johan Hedberg, our BlueZ developer, is planning to start a wiki page providing the information needed to handle the unsupported BT profiles in Maemo 5. He is busy with the final release but the info will be there in time.

For what it says it shouldn't be complicated.
Good enough for me. Thanks for taking the time to let the community know this is coming!

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Since they won't put at&t 3g on the N900 then I would like to bluetooth it to my N95 that does have at&t 3g as I am doing right now with my N810. So the question is, can we do as we have been doing all along with our tablets and tether to our nseries phones using it's 3g instead of this tmobile stuff cuz that is just putting all tablet owners into a sudden change without any transition period. Why would Nokia lead every tablet owner to rely on at&t and then suddenly switch without any effort to make the change more manageable?

can we easily unlock the N900 so we could put other carriers SIM in? When I travel in Asia, T-mobile is not to be found. It would be nice to throw a carrier's card in while over there and then put T-mobile's back when I return to the US.

The other way of doing it would be releasing a version of Joikuspot for Maemo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTA1agjjZQk

It lets you turn a 3G wi-fi phone into a wi-fi hotspot which should work with any device that supports adhoc connections, which includes most laptops (I've connected a Xandros EEE PC to the internet through my Nokia 5800 running Joikuspot). You can even use the same phone to connect multiple devices.

Originally Posted by icbolsh View Post
can we easily unlock the N900 so we could put other carriers SIM in? When I travel in Asia, T-mobile is not to be found. It would be nice to throw a carrier's card in while over there and then put T-mobile's back when I return to the US.
Why not just buy an unlocked version of the N900? All Nokia devices are available in unlocked versions too.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
The other way of doing it would be releasing a version of Joikuspot for Maemo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTA1agjjZQk

It lets you turn a 3G wi-fi phone into a wi-fi hotspot which should work with any device that supports adhoc connections, which includes most laptops (I've connected a Xandros EEE PC to the internet through my Nokia 5800 running Joikuspot). You can even use the same phone to connect multiple devices.
We have BlueTooth on board though.

JoikuSpot makes WiFi AP and is just an interface to very low level stuff we been able to do on Linux as well. On Linux, all what is needed is some frontend, and that can be made much better than JoikuSpot. The statistics used for tethering you can get from e.g. ifconfig (limitation: I/O in bytes and 32 bit though). Also, Joikuspot doesn't support WPA2.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
also, joikuspot have limitations on the free version. unless nokia pulled a fast one with the networking in maemo, it will a be a case of firewall/routing rules

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
We have BlueTooth on board though.
Yes but Wi-Fi is sometimes more flexible in terms of device support.

Both methods have their advantages but in certain circumstances Joikuspot is the preferable one (for example if your laptop has Wi-Fi but no Bluetooth, or if its Bluetooth doesn't work with Bluetooth modems).