woody, have You linked Your TMO account to garage page? It seems to me, that You should have enough karma just by thanks&posts.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Look, I know Matti and Niels personally. "Rude" and "not caring" are really adjectives that don't apply to them.

It hasn't been an easy time for these guys. They had to rely on others you don't see. Things are sorted out now.

With all due respect, I think you aren't much involved in current events
It's true that I haven't been directly involved in maemo.org tasks - and that it's easy for me to talk now. I did try to help Matti & co when they were working hard to get a future to maemo.org beyond the deadlines given to the own MeeGo team at Nokia (I was part of).

But well, these days I'm syncing with Matti again and I will be following the Community forum & mailing list regularly.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
@Jaffa
Wise words. Some part, like:

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Sure, Matti Airas doesn't seem to be involved in the community as much as Quim was. But that's because the community - unfortunately - is more stable, and he hasn't got the history in building it that Quim did. But that's where the council comes in: help rather than confront; communicate instead of stifle; empower rather than moan.
...are much more easy to say than do - from my point of view, Matti Airas lately isn't involved *at all*, so it's quite hard to communicate, empower, etc, when You don't have partner to do so.

Yet, overall, I would agree. That's why I've written about "strong mandate" - if elected- I would like to (or at least, assist in, as there probably are going to be much more experienced people as council members, than me) - try every possible way of "straightening" Community/Nokia relations, and, if that fail, part ways without hostility from either side. I must add, that I don't consider second option is a loss in any way - there are just possibilities, so if point 1 (or "plan A") fail, we'll just head to "Plan B". I also ensure You, that in case of (even) such proposition, exact plan would be posted a long time before actual executing, open for Community to improve it. Heck, I'm sure, that this plan as a whole would consist of ideas got from Community on first place (even current drafts for it, found in "Ask the Council" thread, are based on community work).

/Estel

// Edit

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Look, I know Matti and Niels personally. "Rude" and "not caring" are really adjectives that don't apply to them.

It hasn't been an easy time for these guys. They had to rely on others you don't see. Things are sorted out now.

It's true that I haven't been directly involved in maemo.org tasks - and that it's easy for me to talk now. I did try to help Matti & co when they were working hard to get a future to maemo.org beyond the deadlines given to the own MeeGo team at Nokia (I was part of).

But well, these days I'm syncing with Matti again and I will be following the Community forum & mailing list regularly.
Another time I saw Your response after posting mine. Of course, it's understandable that time was hard for "good" guys @ Nokia - I'm sure, that mess we've seen was just top of icy mountain.

I must admit, that sum of all events with Nokia created quite a hostility (which is, by the way, quite a achievement from Nokia (as a company) side - 180 degrees rotation, from thankful Community in the past, to current state... but it's not a good place to elaborate more on it), yet, if "those guys" are willing to collaborate, we can forget about former problems in less than ten CPU cycles To be honest, it sounds to beautiful to be true - but, if so, that would be amongst best news in last months.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-04-02 at 22:44.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
woody, have You linked Your TMO account to garage page? It seems to me, that You should have enough karma just by thanks&posts.

/Estel
I'm not sure I had, and right now the site is being a bit less than useful. Can't seem to get even my basic profile page to load, yet alone edit it or add the link. I'll keep trying and see where that moves things.

Never noticed until now that you even had to do this. I guess most people don't much care about karma unless they're trying to do something that uses it? (Which is what exactly, outside of elections?)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

...are much more easy to say than do - from my point of view, Matti Airas lately isn't involved *at all*, so it's quite hard to communicate, empower, etc, when You don't have partner to do so.

Yet, overall, I would agree. That's why I've written about "strong mandate" - if elected- I would like to (or at least, assist in, as there probably are going to be much more experienced people as council members, than me) - try every possible way of "straightening" Community/Nokia relations, and, if that fail, part ways without hostility from either side. I must add, that I don't consider second option is a loss in any way - there are just possibilities, so if point 1 (or "plan A") fail, we'll just head to "Plan B". I also ensure You, that in case of (even) such proposition, exact plan would be posted a long time before actual executing, open for Community to improve it. Heck, I'm sure, that this plan as a whole would consist of ideas got from Community on first place (even current drafts for it, found in "Ask the Council" thread, are based on community work).

/Estel
a big thanks for your support and comments here and previously in the thread. I also appreciate your nomination, although I haven't decided yet whether to accept it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So is it too late to put my name in the hat? I ask a lot of questions though...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
OK, as you insist, count with me.
According to the rules nominations need to be posted to maemo-community@maemo.org in order to count.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Council election rules are quite clear - Council members are elected via vote, and if 3 or less people are nominated, it's considered a consensus, and all 3 passes.
Actually, with fewer than 3 candidates an election cannot be held.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Unsurprisingly, I'm with Quim on this topic. I have little to add to Quim's statement. Obviously, since February 11th last year, we have not been able to provide quite the same amount of bandwidth and resources anymore but that did not mean that we abandoned the community. Have we shifted to talk more about Qt than Maemo? Absolutely. And Quim has been very smart in outlining it within this blog post http://flors.wordpress.com/2011/06/2...1-2-harmattan/

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post

Regarding the Supertesters initiative we have been trying to contact Niels and Henri for a month now and yet no answer.

I wouldn't qualify that as rude, just non-existent. I can Imagine it's not directly their fault, just that they are assigned to other work and probably don't have the time to care about the Maemo community.

This is precisely the situation that we are currently trying to fix either by changing the relationship with Nokia or moving somewhere else where we could, at least, solve simple administrative and maintenance tasks.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down