This should be easy, but I've searched and search and come up almost empty., so here goes... how do I install telnet, ftp and perhaps nmap on my N800 with OS2008? I haven't found anything definitive here or on Maemo. I'm reluctant to try anything else since I'm just getting familiar with Linux. Thanks.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Telnet is insecure garbage. If you have any choice in the matter, you want OpenSSH. Get it from Extras (or here). If not, there's a telnet client available here. Though, personally, I'd just ssh into another host and telnet where you need to from there.

nmap is available here.

If you mean ftp server then just use the sftp server in OpenSSH. If you need a client then something like MaemoFTP would probably suite your needs.

As always, Google* and Gronmayer are your friends.

*Google Pro Tip: Adding the word "maemo" to your searches on google will almost always get you the result you're looking for!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I know telnet isn't secure , I just need it for my HP MV2020, which is running Twonky and Firefly. I use putty on my Windows machine(s), and wanted to try telnet using the N800. Thanks!

Last edited by Vrette; 2008-05-04 at 03:14.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Telnet is insecure garbage
That's only assuming you are using it in place of SSH. I regularly use telnet to connect to arbitrary ports to manually send data, for example checking an SMTP server or HTTP server is behaving.

Then you should be using netcat, shouldn't you?

I've been looking for one to play the two towers mud , but had no luck. Thanks general, of course a mud client would be better but telnet client will do.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Then you should be using netcat, shouldn't you?
because for a quick test telnet is much quicker than netcat, especially if I don't care about the output. For example, to test if a TCP port on a remote machine is accessible or not, "telnet 10.10.10.10 8009" is a quick and easy test.

Plus, I'm not a sys-admin, fluent in the ways of netcat, and I have to lookup how to use it again every time

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Eastern U.S.A.
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
because for a quick test telnet is much quicker than netcat, especially if I don't care about the output. For example, to test if a TCP port on a remote machine is accessible or not, "telnet 10.10.10.10 8009" is a quick and easy test.

Plus, I'm not a sys-admin, fluent in the ways of netcat, and I have to lookup how to use it again every time
No disrepect intended to the original author of netcat, who is an old friend of mine, but I'm with pixelseventy on this one.

I couldn't live without quickly dashing off telnet connections to arbitrary ports, and yes, I know the protocol spec enough to know that there is a likelihood that things can be send in the setup handshake that might introduce garbage into the connection. I probably have cause to do it at least 10 times a day.

GA is right to encourage people to use secure tools for remote access though.

It's fast, and present on pretty much anything I sit down at. Time is money.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
The generals link to telnet did not work. I'm searching... not finding it for os2008.

Sometimes telnet is essential... like right now... in middle of emergency., away from laptop.

Steve

Use http://www.gronmayer.com/it/; it's a database of repos. Search it for telnet, and you should come up with the daylessday repo, which has telnet, nmap, gnugrep, and whatnot... you can then get it through app manager, in red-pill, at least, and maybe in blue-pill. If you (like me) avoid red-pill hassle, then just run (as root) an
Code:
apt-get install telnet
After you install that repo, of course...