Active Topics

Keeping screen size and resolution (variables) out of the equation, I'd prefer Samsung's SAMOLED+ over everything.

It uses about 50% less battery than IPS screen at the same brightness, and both are equally viewable under sunlight except the (S+) having deeper blacks and better saturation.

SLCD with TFT-back is king of brightness and sunlight performance, but they suffer from shorter viewing angles than IPS or AMOLED types, and bad black levels which also gives them bad colour reproductivity.

Now it is very difficult, even with my Pilot eyes, but I can actually spot the "pixel jag" on the Galaxy Note...which is caused by the Pentile layout. Like said before, they just knock off one subpixel and share a neighbouring one, which saves battery but causes these "unsightly" jagging. Now I'm not sure what I would rather prefer, the Note's display or a qHD SAMOLED+ display?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^double post?

I wonder, maybe the screen battery consumption can be a fake issue, since GS2, note, iphone4 all drain battery pretty quick, don't they? Meaning screen won't be a sole factor.

I prefer cool color temperature, so AMOLEDs won't be my option.

Battery wise, they all drain pretty fast

========================================
Edit:

WOW!!!!!! It's official Lumia 900 will sport "RGB" Clear Black Display.....Why not on my N9

If no IPS/SLCD, I can still take RGB AMOLED :P

Last edited by kiddn97583; 2012-01-12 at 05:40.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Pentile uses less battery too.
pentile RGBW in LCD screen uses less battery power than it's RGB counterpart but according to oled-info.com pentile RGB AMOLED (N9) uses 18% more power than RGB Stripe

@kiddn the answer is in the first post. Couldn't be done.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-01-12 at 17:55.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
according to oled-info.com pentile RGB AMOLED (N9) uses 18% more power than RGB Stripe
That assertion defies common sense, so it would need some backing. Both pentile layouts have a severely reduced number of pixels vs the traditional arrangement. And less OLED pixels surely means less power usage.

Also, I bet that the reason they chose green is because the human eye has better response to green.

Last edited by javispedro; 2012-01-17 at 18:48.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Also, I bet that the reason they chose green is because the human eye has better response to green.
It is. Green controls the luminance.

Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Sorry, I don't care about technology, the screen of the N9 is obviously one of the best actually.

Let's see. One could model an RGBG display as an RGB display where a pair of pixels is missing one R and B pixel each. To compensate for this, the singular R and B pixels would need to be driven in a way as to double their maximum output. Alternatively, the G subpixels could be halved in surface area and, thus, luminosity.

Since chromatic acuity in one's eye is worse than luminous acuity, one would not lose image quality.

So, given a specific subpixel budget, a PenTile display would be better if the pixel density is high enough to test the limits of the human eye.

Did I miss anything yet?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
That is the point, and that is why it is being used. For a given number of subpixels (max that fit in a specific screen) pentile is better. Of course if tomorrow someone manages to fit 50% more subpixels in the same space and decides to go rgb the result will be better. But with 50% more subpixels it would be better to go pentile again with 50% higher resolution. Chicken and egg

(for a direct comparison compare an E7 with an OG Galaxy S)
WVGA pentile is better than nHD rgb.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Pentile is a cooler technology, more hitech.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:

Tags
amoled, amoled plus, lcd screen, pentile, screen