Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
MWKN Weekly News: 18 March 2013

New Hildon Foundation Board member Jim Jaglieski's letter of introduction

In last week's issue, we covered Tim Samoff's resignation from the Hildon Foundation Board and the appointment of Craig Woodward and Jim Jaglieski as replacements for Tim and Ivan Galvez Junquera's vacated seats. Craig should be known to the community, as he served on the Maemo Community Council and was one of the primary architects of the Hildon Foundation by-laws, but Jim is new to the Maemo community. To help introduce himself, he posted a letter to Talk:
First of all, a bit about me. I've been hacking and developing FOSS for several decades, making me an old-timer. I was part of the Apache Group, the original team of Apache httpd developers who later went on to found the Apache Software Foundation, which is likely one of the best known Open Source Foundations in existence. I've been on the board of the ASF since day 1, serving as Sec/EVP, Chairman and President. All directors are elected by the ASF membership. Despite some vague allegations, I am not some FOSS politician; I am a coder, and still am active on numerous FOSS projects, as a simple look on Ohloh would show. Because of my work, I was also elected into the Open Source Initiative (OSI) and the OuterCurve Foundation. I also speak at conferences about FOSS, communities, licensing, etc... I work for Red Hat.
There is much more in the thread, and some discussion on some of the points covered in the letter as well.

My personal take-away is that, despite some strange context to his introduction to the community as an unknown person being appointed to the Hildon Foundation Board and his lack of familiarity with Maemo, Jim is the kind of open source advocate most of us will find ourselves in agreement with and his long experience in the movement will be of great value to the Hildon Foundation as it gets on its feet.
Read more (hildonfoundation.org)
Read more (talk.maemo.org)

Contributing to MWKN

You've likely noticed that we have a light issue this week. As most of you probably know, the stories for each week's MWKN are collected by the MWKN staff and aggregated through the @MWKN bot on Twitter. Unfortunately, due to the size of the community and the human limitations of our staff, we sometimes miss out on interesting stories and announcements. The good news is that you can help out. If you happen to notice something interesting you'd like to see covered in MWKN&mdash;a new application announcement, helpful how-to, or various bits of news from the community&mdash;simply direct a tweet towards the MWKN Twitter account in the form of: @MWKN <section> <story summary> <URL> (e.g.,
@MWKN Community New Hildon Foundation Board member Jim Jaglieski's letter of introduction http://hildonfoundation.org/238/
). More details of the process and a list of valid sections can be found on the maemo.org wiki page for MWKN.

Alternatively, for those of you with moral or motivational objections to Twitter, you can bug either Andrew (Jaffa) or myself (GeneralAntilles) in #maemo on Freenode and we'll pick up the story for you.

Additional contributors aggregating stories helps us improve our coverage of ongoing events in the community, and let's us focus on teasing out the threads of the important stories and keeping you up-to-date with everything that's happening. If you'd like to become a full-time MWKN contributor, you can bother us on Freenode.
Read more (wiki.maemo.org)

In this edition...
  1. Front Page
    • New Hildon Foundation Board member Jim Jaglieski's letter of introduction
    • Contributing to MWKN

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
mwkn_issue, news_digest