Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Because it doesn't work. The VM is very unstable and blows up, taking all your apps and data with it, when an alarm goes off.
And calendar alarms are no fun if it's not actively running ... (sigh).....

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Grand Rapids, MI
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
My personal favorite is one I was familiar with back in the 80's...

Her name was Linda.
Ahhh... A "laptop" model.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I liked Clié Organizer.

Nowadays I just prefer syncing to Evolution, so gpe is mostly enough for me.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
What is your choice?
For synchronizing Outlook data to a Palm device, Beyond Contacts was the best application I found. If DataViz offered a Maemo version, I'd buy it just to more easily carry my work calendar with me.

I'm rather happy with GPE, really. Actively developed, open source project, mature, synchronizing it with my Linux desktop is reasonably easy with opensync (though not as easy as with PalmOS for some reason)... only real problem is that the alarm kills kittens.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
For me the best would be the Palm OS5 PIM application. I don't have much experience with anything else however. Right now I am using GPE suite on the N810.

Best ever, for me, was / is a Newton 2100 and / or the eMate 300. Fantastic variety of input options, truly powerful PIM software, large screen, and a very good set of other apps to boot. And for me (and for most other long-term users) the printed handwriting recognizer worked fabulously well out of the box, and the cursive (if trained) really well too.

Cheers,
Jon

Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
KOrganizer wasn't meant for a PDA and works very poorly on it. I have a Zaurus SL-C760 and KOrg was extremely cumbersome to use.
Actually the Ka/Pi (Platform independant), Ko/Pi were indeed quite usable - though they are definitely not finger-friendly (but the Zaurus and all PDA's at that time were Stylus dependant).

http://www.pi-sync.de/html/projects.html

The best thing about the mobile KDE PIM suite was that it was very configurable visually - and you could increase/decrease the amount of information you wanted to see on the screen real-estate and also size and hide windows and frames etc.

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
What is your choice? I, personally, still think the Palm PIM suite is the best I have used on a mobile device. Even the latest phones seem to be much weaker in this aspect.

To qualify for me a PIM must have contacts,calendar,todo/task,notes

Of course I have not used many others so I am curious to hear other opinions

Symbian, Iphone, RIM, ....?
same here.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Grand Rapids, MI
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Actually the Ka/Pi (Platform independant), Ko/Pi were indeed quite usable
Not the version that I tried on my Zaurus.

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
The best thing about the mobile KDE PIM suite was that it was very configurable visually - and you could increase/decrease the amount of information you wanted to see on the screen real-estate and also size and hide windows and frames etc.
I've never seen this. Every version that I tried worked like it was on a desktop system - and had all the screen real estate of a desktop system.