Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Here's an interesting short article that speculates on Nokia "losing it's mojo" and a brief mention of Maemo on a smartphone:

http://ow.ly/15JFSf

It's worth a read.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frethop For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
"Maemo a key future asset". Every time I read that I'm excited-but-scared.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Another analyst saying that Apple's smartphone will conquer the universe.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The sad thing is, so many of us (current and former) US Nokia employees saw trouble coming, knew steps we could take to at least minimize the damage, but were ignored. Most of us that became so didn't have to end up jobless. We could have fixed this.

Anyway, Qt could help Nokia in a huge way-- but will it be in time?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It's absolutely amazing how difficult it is to save a company whose time has come. Everyone can see disaster looming, but no one can agree on what action to take, so it continues to drive toward the obvious cliff. For me, the company was Quarterdeck, which went from privately owned company to $40 a share company to 50 cents a share company, then went under. I have a feeling Nokia is on a similar path.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
"Maemo a key future asset". Every time I read that I'm excited-but-scared.
I'll say it again. I know I sound like a crazy man, especially as the months go by, but... We here are privy to the seeds of a revolution. We're going to see a fairly standardized Linux distribution, backed by a big corporation, pushed into the mobile market in a huge way. The lines between PC and handheld are going to blur like never before.

Most of us here see this, but the industry will be blindsided. They won't know what hit them. The rules are going to change significantly. Until now, everything's been proprietary. The only threat to the iron control of the manufacturer-provider cartels were little hacker groups who made headlines when they 'jailbroke' or 'unlocked' phones...

Now, most everything will be open, INCLUDING THE TELEPHONY STACK. Just think of the power that gives developers and users to do what they want with the technology.

I've been repeating this since Summit 08; Maemo will change everything. You just wait.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I was in a rather unique position about a month ago to get to see some early prototypes of potential, future cellphones coming from Nokia.

The prototypes were so rare that there were only 1-2 in existence "touring" the world - and I kid you not when I say that they were treated as if they were made out of sheer glass

Anyway, since I can't say anything due to an NDA I can say that if those phones is an indication of what Nokia may come out with in its cell phone product line I'd say they may have very a very nice future ahead of themselves.

Note: I got to view/handle the hardware only - they were not (could not) be turned on - and very told about the functionality/features they would support.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2009-08-03 at 18:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I've been repeating this since Summit 08; Maemo will change everything. You just wait.
I appreciate your optimism, but you've never owned a cell phone. There are powerful forces that control the airwaves, and those of us that are in tech and have had cell phones for over a decade feel those forces. They're not relenting. Software won't change everything; the technology has been ready and waiting for some time now. It's going to take an act of Congress, or Google will have to buy a country. I won't be holding my breath, but I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if you're right. Or were you just looking for another bet?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The sad thing is, so many of us (current and former) US Nokia employees saw trouble coming, knew steps we could take to at least minimize the damage, but were ignored. Most of us that became so didn't have to end up jobless. We could have fixed this.
I'm curious: what steps do you think Nokia should have taken? How could this have been fixed?

The Following User Says Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'll say it again. I know I sound like a crazy man, especially as the months go by, but... We here are privy to the seeds of a revolution. We're going to see a fairly standardized Linux distribution, backed by a big corporation, pushed into the mobile market in a huge way. The lines between PC and handheld are going to blur like never before.

Most of us here see this, but the industry will be blindsided. They won't know what hit them. The rules are going to change significantly. Until now, everything's been proprietary. The only threat to the iron control of the manufacturer-provider cartels were little hacker groups who made headlines when they 'jailbroke' or 'unlocked' phones...

Now, most everything will be open, INCLUDING THE TELEPHONY STACK. Just think of the power that gives developers and users to do what they want with the technology.

And you think the cartel will just let maemo leisurely walk in to break their hold?

We need people who sees the big picture of the reality... not technical people who understand which ideals would be best.

IMHO, iPhone was the perfect device to break the cartel. Why? Because it's actually a trojan horse.