Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
I have the $9.99 plan from TMo. I can access ssh ports, update OMWeather, etc. Seems open to most ports I have tried.

The only way to get the $4.99 is to be grandfathered in. It's not offered anymore. I had that plan until last month. Then I "upgraded" to use MyFaves and was told the $4.99 plan was incompatible (...line of BS...).

In a previous post, I noted that if TMo can figure out your phone's make, they will deny you access to the $9.99 plan if you have a "dataphone". THen your only choice is the $24.99 plans and up.

Currently, my N900 is flying under the radar.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by frethop View Post
I have the $9.99 plan from TMo. I can access ssh ports, update OMWeather, etc. Seems open to most ports I have tried.

The only way to get the $4.99 is to be grandfathered in. It's not offered anymore. I had that plan until last month. Then I "upgraded" to use MyFaves and was told the $4.99 plan was incompatible (...line of BS...).

In a previous post, I noted that if TMo can figure out your phone's make, they will deny you access to the $9.99 plan if you have a "dataphone". THen your only choice is the $24.99 plans and up.

How is your phone signal and wifi access? The G1 is weak compared to my Tmo Dash. I am hoping the N900 is a bump up with radios.

If anyone from T-Mobile is listening: I'm on Sprint right now and hate them, but haven't found anything yet worth switching over for. A full n900 (i.e. I can do want *I* want to do with it) would have me switching the month it comes out. I don't mind the contract so much; it's the lobotimization of the phone that I mind.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
How is your phone signal and wifi access? The G1 is weak compared to my Tmo Dash. I am hoping the N900 is a bump up with radios.
WiFi is very good; I notice no difference between this and my N810.

As far as phone signal, TMo signal is fine at work, but is quite weak around my house. My N97 has a really bad time -- I often have to go outside. My N900 has been much better. It seems to be able to do more with the weak signal. I have very few times when I can't make a call or use the signal.

In a previous post, I noted that if TMo can figure out your phone's make, they will deny you access to the $9.99 plan if you have a "dataphone". Then your only choice is the $24.99 plans and up.

Are you surfing on 3G? I have that "grandfathered" plan and was also wondering if it would work on the N900. I am currently using an E-71 and I can browse the internet, use nimbuzz (chat client for most IM) send and receive emails etc. If your saying that your N900 works with that + 3G, that would be awesome.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
WiFi is very good; I notice no difference between this and my N810.

As far as phone signal, TMo signal is fine at work, but is quite weak around my house. My N97 has a really bad time -- I often have to go outside. My N900 has been much better. It seems to be able to do more with the weak signal. I have very few times when I can't make a call or use the signal.
Good, since the N810 has a decent wifi radio. My G1 wifi is weaker than my DS, Dash, PSP, Laptops and Archos 5. By about 50% on average I have too many toys

Phone radio on G1 is pretty iffy with weak phone signals- Dash is better. We have a lot of hills in Kentucky

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-10-22 at 20:04.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
My N900 is working fine with the $10 t-mo (US) web plan that I originally ordered for an SE TM506. I let the N900 auto-configure thinking that I'd have to tweak the configuration later, but it works just fine. I SSH over it on a semi-regular basis with completely tolerable amounts of latency. I used to tether my TM506 to my N800 and stream last.fm. Worked pretty well as long as I had a solid 3G connection. Overall I'm sure that I don't use more than 200MB a month, though.
As for the people hoping t-mo will subsidize the N900; wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to just by the N900 on a credit card and mix-and-match the plan that you want from t-mo (the $10 web plan + however many minutes you want)?

-John

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Portland, Or
I personally doubt(and hope) T-Mobile will ever subsidize or maybe even sell the N900 or any other Maemo device. The main issues is Nokia is all about openness and T-Mobile I can almost guarantee will never want to provide support service and warranty service to a phone that any idiot can type "gainroot" and end up bricking.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Wait a minute.

I just talked to a T-Mobile USA sales rep, via the phone, named Rachel yesterday about the N900. I was playing ignorant to the whole thing and asked if the N900 was out and how much it costs. She said, you wont be able to purchase the N900 until mid next month (November) but she couldn't tell the pricing at this time. She had no idea of what the N900 was but found it in her computer system and just read back that it was available mid-November.

So, I would go with what the computer says rather than some sales person, a little higher on the respectable level, just above a used car salesman. Plus, mid-November coincides with the release dates that everyone is reporting back on.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It sounds like Rachel's magic computer is just telling you that you can buy a N900 next month; that just happens to be the most recent ship date I heard. I doubt that Tmobile is selling it next month.

Also, you seem to have too much trust in computers. They lie constantly, because they depend on what humans type into them, and you know what humans are capable of...

Last edited by geneven; 2009-10-23 at 05:56.