Posts: 209 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Will the kernel-power be further developed or is v50 the final last one?

@Mr. Incredible
Do you know what is "Constant Progress"?
There would be probably many future versions, but KP50 has "stable" status so is stable like final, but Kernel Power would probably be even more improved.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by drax View Post
@Estel

so, Estel, again, any *good* reason to upgrade from v48 to v50?

pfff

grtz
Drax
bugfixes! there cant be any better reason than this and no other reason is needed, even if you think that version you are on works fine

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Lately, I've been setting up 2nd device for family member. For testing/debugging/practical purposes, I've decided to set it up from scratch (well, many times using config files from my 1st device, but never copying things as "batch"), instead of using backupmenu backups.

Going straight to merit, I've run into very strange issue with kernel-power-settings. The problem is, that after every reboot, device is using default (stock Nokia) settings, instead of one that I've defined. I'm absolutely sure, that /etc/default/kernel-power is my custom settings. Of course, I've also saved my settings to /home/user/.kernel/estel, and tried - few times already - to re-save it as defaults, via kernel-config default estel.

I'm absolutely sure, that it doesn't have anything to do with unexpected reboots - there is *no* /etc/kernel-power/.notloaded file, and there *is* /etc/kernel-power/.loaded file after every reboot - yet, device is set to stock settings - unless I do kernel-config unlock (despite fact, that it wasn't locked - it just loads /etc/default/kernel-power) or kernel-config load default, or kernel-config load estel. Then, everything works as it should - until next reboot.

I've even went so far, that I've replaced /usr/share/kernel-power-settings/default with my settings (saved as default) - all to no avail.

Anyone got a clue WTF? Any ideas how can I debug it? freemangordon, Pali, I'm looking at You... But of course, any ideas welcome.

/Estel

// Edit

On my 2nd device, I'm *not* using multiboot, but straight away kernel-power and backupmenu (not that it matters). What actually *can* matter, is that first thing I did to configure kernel settings, was copying my /etc/default/kernel-power from 1st device to 2nd device. I wanted to easily, as fast as possible, make this default settings, loaded on every boot.

Maybe, just maybe, it confused kernel-power-settings, somehow, and screwed it for good.

// Edit 2

Other question, unrelated to previous issue:

Using file /etc/default/kernel-boot, we're able to set options for FSCK of /HOME? and SSH. But, FSCK probably uses options for ext3? If someone use other filesystem (ext4, ext2, ReiserFS...), the result is FCKD'ing system, instead of repairing it. Any way to customize it? Where exactly fsck command controlled by this setting resides?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-05-15 at 07:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@Estel,

About FSCK_HOME: /etc/event.d/rcS-late sources /etc/default/mount-opts, which kernel-power patches so as to source /etc/kernel-power/pre-mount.

On pre-mount FSCK_HOME is checked and if true, the first partition on mmcblk0 with type 83 will be fsck'ed setting the type explicitly to ext3.

So you'd need to patch that script either to suite your partitioning scheme or to make it more flexible..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@Estel,

About the kernel-config load. I'm sure the /usr/sbin/kernel-config script has a (number of) bugs, but I can't tell for sure now.

In any case, you might want to manually kernel-config load your settings and then kernel-config default (i.e. without giving it a name) and see if that does it.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot for Your answers, reinob. As for FSCK, it's what I mean. But, as for loading kernel-config manually and kernel-config default it, I've written, that I tried it already, numerous times - amongst other things, to no avail. It just seems like it "stuck" on loading stock on boot. I don't even know from where it gets it - as I've written, I've gone so far, that I've replaced template "default" with my scheme.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Hey Estel.

reinob said
kernel-config default
and you said
kernel-config default estel

There is a difference. First sets the currently used scheme as default and second, independent of current scheme, sets the named scheme (estel) as default.
I am not sure, but after updating to kp50 (yes, I finally did it ), I think I had similar problems:
kernel-config default schema
did not set the default one, but kept old settings (from kp47) after reboot.
But after using
kernel-config load custom
kernel-config default
everything was okay again.
Maybe any other experienced that also? Then it could be bug (just assumption) or just inconvenience (when you know it!).

--edit
Just tested it once more. And no problems at all!
But I am sure, that there were some similar irritations after switching

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2012-05-15 at 13:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Thanks a lot for Your answers, reinob. As for FSCK, it's what I mean. But, as for loading kernel-config manually and kernel-config default it, I've written, that I tried it already, numerous times - amongst other things, to no avail. It just seems like it "stuck" on loading stock on boot. I don't even know from where it gets it - as I've written, I've gone so far, that I've replaced template "default" with my scheme.

/Estel
Purge kernel-settings and re-install. Perhaps the event.d script is barfed. It is not 'loading' stock settings, it is loading NO settings, stock is what is set at boot and NOT being changed.

(probably)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Hey Estel.

reinob said
kernel-config default
and you said
kernel-config default estel
You're right, I haven't written about it - yet, I've also tried kernel-config default

vi_, what You've suggested is what I would probably try, but, sudden of nothing, it started to work properly... I've rebooted it countless times, cycled (turn off, remove battery for minute, put battery again, turn on, set date and time and other sh|t ), to no avail.

Now, left overnight with battery inside (just turned off), and after booting, it's as it should be. WTF, really?

BTW, little info about placebo effect...

I discovered that it's OK now, when my Son was playing Frogatto, and I helped him with boss. I got irritated on "little stutters" - obviously, happening due to lower frequency, so I've minimized it and went into terminal to load proper settings. Yet, I've checked currently loaded ones, just in case - of course, I've discovered that it's actually running on 500-900 as it should. Well, from this moment, I haven't felt any "laginess" in-game

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery test, i <3 fmg, i <3 pali, igottaboner, kernel, kernel-power, viva fmg, viva pali