All of those side effects will happen if you don't read the PDF and know what to mix and what not. Like you said it all varies on the user. For example, I don't use the home screen settings app so I tweak away.

Last edited by TheN9er; 2012-12-14 at 17:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheN9er For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
evujumenuk,

That's a discussion for another thread

Anyway I'll take liberty to give one reply:

1. HSS changes backgrounds, N9QTweak does the same... Using two apps that do the same function are bound to conflict and mess your system so simply don't change backgrounds using N9QTweak... I've been using HSS+N9QT since day 1 without ANY issues

2. You mean one tweak in N9QTweak conflicts with another tweak in N9QTweak? Never heard it except for Tweak T MAG&Coderus versions which conflict and expressly tell you to choose which path to take

3. I prefer doing things manually but you must understand there are thousands of people for whom inception etc are a pain to do manually in the sense they screw their systems with it; N9QT is perfect for them.

Another point to be added is for example N9QT contains ~20 mods/tweaks you have on your device, after a reflash, doing them manually or restoring tweaked backup is easier? I have ~147 apps and use BackDeb to save their .debs and then manually do a dpkg -i *.deb after a reflash but for many this is difficult so use backup and restore from N9QTweak and same goal reached...

Anyway feel free to use what suits you It works very well for the many people who use it properly...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Yeah. For many purposes, I can get behind using N9QTweak.

But I don't get it why it should install packages, for FSM's sake.

It's kind of like using Windows 98 because "user accounts are such a hassle".

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
@TheN9er

Yeah, sorry if I sounded rude. Nothing personal.

I have myself sometimes searched for a solution to some issue and got answer telling me to install N9Qtweak, - which I'm sure is great - but I wasn't after that. IIRC I wanted to know how some feature works/is enabled on harmattan (what files to edit etc.). So I had bit of angst towards the issue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by evujumenuk View Post
Yeah. For many purposes, I can get behind using N9QTweak.

But I don't get it why it should install packages, for FSM's sake.

It's kind of like using Windows 98 because "user accounts are such a hassle".
It simply dpkg -i's the package (see the script it doesn't do anything malicious )... Again like i said hundreds/thousands of people don't know how to do it manually so this is a boon for them...

See the guides for it translated into arabic, chinese etc to see how it has helped many people so I don't see what wrong is in spreading tools that would otherwise have not been installed on many people's devices...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
I didn't really know about N9Qtweak before. I'm not much of a modder, though I know about the potential of open-source software. I usually try not to get into much in case I inadvertently mess up instructions and brick my phone (living on a student's budget!). But thanks for pointing it out o me!

The Following User Says Thank You to enerqy For This Useful Post:
One thing N9QTweak has going for it is that its developer gobbles up all the findings on this forum and merges them into the app. For the manual types, there is no such complete repository of how-to knowledge.

The result is that aegisctl is now inside some other .deb that's installable via apt repositories. aegisctl itself, however, is only found on random webspace around the 'net.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evujumenuk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by evujumenuk View Post
One thing N9QTweak has going for it is that its developer gobbles up all the findings on this forum and merges them into the app. For the manual types, there is no such complete repository of how-to knowledge.

The result is that aegisctl is now inside some other .deb that's installable via apt repositories. aegisctl itself, however, is only found on random webspace around the 'net.
Actually, Schturman built N9QTweak for his own personal use... Till date its just a collection of scripts that anyone can read, edit etc He shared it and it has kept growing with demands from users to gobble up every other knowledge around which is very good IMO for those people who otherwise would either screw things up or wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

For aegisctl, you can't be laying the blame on N9QT when the original developer didn't re-host it somewhere else Its available on some other servers and since this place will be run not by Nokia in a few weeks we can request it to be put into some sort of common repos.

Actually, if you read Schturman's PDF not Wiki you would see every tweak, mod etc that he found and put into N9QTweak he references the original thread so it means those are there you just need to find them If you want them all in one place, you are free to create it after all I did the wiki for N9QTweak as I wanted things easy for all to search/reference so i'm sure if you want manual mods you can put them up in a wikipage too... I don't see why you should lay blame on N9QTweak for no repo of knowledge being there for manual types unless of course you are envious of how detailed it has become

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-12-14 at 17:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
thedead1440, I'm not blaming Schturman for anything! Actually, thanks to him aegisctl still lives (somehow...) in an apt repository whereas the alternative would be .debs passed around on forums such as this.

Also, thanks for the info on where to find the separate threads of information.

The Following User Says Thank You to evujumenuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by enerqy View Post
I didn't really know about N9Qtweak before. I'm not much of a modder, though I know about the potential of open-source software. I usually try not to get into much in case I inadvertently mess up instructions and brick my phone (living on a student's budget!). But thanks for pointing it out o me!
I think it's really really hard (impossible?) to brick your N9 unless you know how to mess with the CAL area or abuse the hardware itself (overclocking for example).

The Following User Says Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post: