Notices

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Just4pLeisure View Post
PPS if anyone knows of something like Hyperterminal for the N900 that would be rather handy...
minicom. In debian like linuxes apt-get install minicom.

The Following User Says Thank You to jlu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
libobd????

I guess that is something to do with CARMAN.

Am I correct, is there a way to correct it?

Cheers.
libobd is the device driver library which is between carman and the elm327 based obd dongle. The source is available so there should be a way to correct it. If I'm not mistaken it is made by the same people who made carman. As I said, I don't have an obd dongle, but I am very much tempted to buy one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlu For This Useful Post:
Hi makkan00 and jlu

I don't think this is my week. first I burnt a friends ECU, then my spare ECU and now my Bluetooth OBD doesn't work in my car although it does in my bf's I guess that things just working for me was too good to be true to last

and what error you get, did you check the log files?

Cheers.

Originally Posted by jlu View Post
libobd is the device driver library which is between carman and the elm327 based obd dongle. The source is available so there should be a way to correct it. If I'm not mistaken it is made by the same people who made carman. As I said, I don't have an obd dongle, but I am very much tempted to buy one.
Thanks buddy for your reply.
I am not really expert...so I guess I have to leave it and forget it.

I thought it was ELM problem, but as you pointed out, it was langauge problem.

I have re-installed the application again, and thought by doing that it will learn the language

no luck.

Just wondering how do others get connected and why did not they get the problem?

Can I ask any developer to help?

ortherwise, got to forget it.

Cheers.

OK, this is a bit weird, I've made a few changes to the ELM327 startup in carmand which appeared to get my car working again every other try but when I checked the report file my changes didn't appear to be actually there! I'll check what I've done but if you guys hadn't noticed it's Saturday night so I'm about to get ready to go out and this will have to wait.

@makkan00 my guess is that this is a problem with the way Carman communicates with the ELM327 so getting that bit right hopefully will fix these connection problems. If I get somewhere I'll send you my fixes somehow to test

Sophie x

The Following User Says Thank You to Just4pLeisure For This Useful Post:
libobd is the device driver library which is between carman and the elm327 based obd dongle. The source is available so there should be a way to correct it. If I'm not mistaken it is made by the same people who made carman.
Maybe something like this could help in libobd's obd-chan-elm.c after ATAT2 command and its response test and before sending "0101"

Code:
	if(obdchanelm_ssendcmd(chan, "ATSP0", 6)) { /* Set protocol to Automatic  */
		ret = OBDCHANERR_SETUP_ERROR;
		goto error;
	}

if(!strstr(pelm->buffer, "OK"))
		LOG_WARNING("Unable to set ELM to use Automatic protocol");
The third parameter of obdchanelm_ssendcmd is a timeout, so a suitable value might have to be tested.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlu For This Useful Post:
OK, this is a bit weird, I've made a few changes to the ELM327 startup in carmand which appeared to get my car working again every other try but when I checked the report file my changes didn't appear to be actually there! I'll check what I've done but if you guys hadn't noticed it's Saturday night so I'm about to get ready to go out and this will have to wait.

@makkan00 my guess is that this is a problem with the way Carman communicates with the ELM327 so getting that bit right hopefully will fix these connection problems. If I get somewhere I'll send you my fixes somehow to test

Sophie x
Thanks Sophie, I will wait and see if you can fix it, and will try on mine too.

I agree with you, its the way carman tries to communicate with ELM. And my connection to car through netbook and android phone confirms that it is either carman (or possible language as JLU reported).

As as I am not really expert in that language, so I should wait for you or Jlu to take a step ahead

Enjoy your weekend.

Maybe something like this could help in libobd's obd-chan-elm.c after ATAT2 command and its response test and before sending "0101"

Code:
	if(obdchanelm_ssendcmd(chan, "ATSP0", 6)) { /* Set protocol to Automatic  */
		ret = OBDCHANERR_SETUP_ERROR;
		goto error;
	}

if(!strstr(pelm->buffer, "OK"))
		LOG_WARNING("Unable to set ELM to use Automatic protocol");
The third parameter of obdchanelm_ssendcmd is a timeout, so a suitable value might have to be tested.
Jlu thanks for pointing out that.

Can you please tell me, which file in carman software or libobd's should be changed?
Where can I find that file, and how can I entre the commands you mentioned above?

As I am not expert like you, so I many need bit more guidance.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Jlu thanks for pointing out that.

Can you please tell me, which file in carman software or libobd's should be changed?
Where can I find that file, and how can I entre the commands you mentioned above?

As I am not expert like you, so I many need bit more guidance.

Cheers.
libobd is packaged separate from carman. In scratchbox, you can download the source using "apt-get source libobd". This downloads and unpacks the source to libobd-0.7. The file that has to be modified is obd-chan-elm.c in libobd-0.7/src. You probably should also make a note to libobd-0.7/src/debian/changelog to distinguish your modified version.

The Following User Says Thank You to jlu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by systemcrash View Post
I have the same device and it used to work fine. However, last Sunday, after some months of not using it, I tried to use it and it failed to connect in the same way as yours. As I didn't have time to investigate what was actually happening, I assumed that either the device was dead or my car's battery (which was really dead) was somehow preventing the connection. I said I would retry after changing the battery, but I forgot. I think I'd better try again one of these days.

But now that you mention you have the same problem, I wonder if there was an update some time ago that broke something.
Well, I tried again yesterday, with the new car battery installed, and it worked flawlessly...