Active Topics

and "New Posts" search?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Personally I don't care either way, but it should be possible I would think...

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
But, then how would we have found out about the Maemo Musician's Thread ?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
and "New Posts" search?
I think they have to appear in "New Posts", otherwise they'll never get seen by the people who only interact with the forum through "New Posts".

As for removing them from "Active Topics", I think it makes sense if we want to emphasise this as a discussion forum for Maemo-related topics; but not if we want to show a vibrant and active community.

Having said that, I'd probably lean to agreeing with you and removing them from "Active Topics".

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Can we perhaps have a moratorium on forum changes?
Off topic discussions are just as important to the continuity of relationships within this community. Particularly now that we are waiting for a new release.

Active topics are just that, active topics. If some of that activity is off topic.. so be it. They will drop from the list as more relevant information is posted.

I mean right now there is one "Off Topic" post in the "Active Topics" bar. It is thread wishing someone a happy birthday. Ignore it if you do not want to participate. If it was me I would be embarrassed and I usually opt out if I can or I choose Feb 29 on a leap year if I can't.

Hi Andrew,
I'm confused by your response

Are you saying that you agree, we don't want to show a vibrant and active community?

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Can we perhaps have a moratorium on forum changes?
An even better argument. Hell, any style changes at all (see #4369).

Active topics are just that, active topics. If some of that activity is off topic.. so be it. They will drop from the list as more relevant information is posted.
Indeed.

Are you saying that you agree, we don't want to show a vibrant and active community?
No, I'm saying that with the resurgence of on-topic threads and with the (hopeful) influx of users whenever we can get our grubby mits on Rover, I can see merit in the argument of getting rid of the off-topic threads from the "Active" box.

But I rarely look at it (I'm a "New Posts" kinda guy). To generalise the big argument for keeping them: it keeps the community looking active to new joiners when there are lulls in Maemo-related stuff.

Now, hopefully we'll never have the same length of time between major Maemo releases, and there's been some very big & important stuff happening (e.g. Mer); so purely from the point of view of that argument, dropping the off-topic threads allows a clearer view for an outsider/newbie to see what exciting things are happening.

But I've now expended far more energy on this topic than I have care for it! ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
This should be user selectable option.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
This should be user selectable option.
Unfortunately, filtering (or not) a feed is a lot simpler than adding new options to the UI, flags to the user's record in the database, handling defaults, testing and filtering (or not) a feed.

So, whenever someone says "should be user selectable option", I think "egads, is there nothing better for $DEVELOPER to do?" IME, there usually is! :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Unfortunately, filtering (or not) a feed is a lot simpler than adding new options to the UI, flags to the user's record in the database, handling defaults, testing and filtering (or not) a feed.

So, whenever someone says "should be user selectable option", I think "egads, is there nothing better for $DEVELOPER to do?" IME, there usually is! :-)
Yeah I know this, but it's still only sane solution (if not counting the man hours). But this is just a weakness of a web forum. Change the system to NNTP and it will just work

Last edited by mikkov; 2009-06-10 at 23:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Yeah but hmm that could be noise, but so could something posted in forum Games or Bora be. It is a personal preference and is therefore best to treat it like that with sane default option; if possible software-wise give the user control over this.

Also if it stays like it is now I suggest to reevaluate this when the forum is more active again which occurs for example because of product launch.