Active Topics

Is it possible to use the n900 as an FM transmitter for another device?

To be more specific, can the n900 be used in the same manner as an iTrip for and iPod with the aid of an auxiliary cable?

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
What do you mean exactly.. the N900 has FM Transmitter built in...

Can the FM transmitter be configured to transmit audio output from another device?

Something like this

Last edited by nosa101; 2010-05-25 at 05:44.

How would you get the sound into the N900?

Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
How would you get the sound into the N900?
Using an auxiliary cable. The same one that could go from ipod to a car with an aux port

if u have ur music on ur iphone and I assume on a oc with itunes, why not just install orb on your home pc and stream it to your n900 through the fm transmitter, a much elegant solution...

I'm thinking about using it in a car. I have a large music library so putting it on my n900 is out of the question.

I was walmart today and I almost bought an iTrip. But the iTrip is basically an FM transmitter and the n900 has one. So...

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
I'm thinking about using it in a car. I have a large music library so putting it on my n900 is out of the question.

I was walmart today and I almost bought an iTrip. But the iTrip is basically an FM transmitter and the n900 has one. So...
You could stream the music from the iPhone to the N900 via bluetooth and then let the N900 transmit it.
But, first: I don't know if it can be done.
second: it will be a lot of power wasted since 2 devices are working and transmitting to play the music, although that it is minor problem, or not a problem at all if you have a charger in your car.

Originally Posted by michael196 View Post
You could stream the music from the iPhone to the N900 via bluetooth and then let the N900 transmit it.
But, first: I don't know if it can be done.
second: it will be a lot of power wasted since 2 devices are working and transmitting to play the music, although that it is minor problem, or not a problem at all if you have a charger in your car.
I have a charger in my car and the iTouch doesn't have bluetooth

Since the headphones have a mic, there must be an input but you would probably need a special cable and an app to support it. I was thinking of a similar scenario, plugging in an electronic sax and having it output the sound over the FM transmitter.