Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
So we have to pay to be able to track our Jollas later?!
Afaik tracking 3 devices per account is free. Or correct me if I'm wrong? At least I'm using 3 devices for free. We could ofcourse add config value so you can use your own servers...

Only Pro version is not free for laptop/android tracking, but you dont have to use that option.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2014-03-01 at 21:09.

Just for your information, Maemo already have a full-featured and 100% FOSS free tool to help tracking your device (and do many other useful things, like remotely execute commands) - one that doesn't rely on any 3rd party, payware services.

Search for SMSCON - maybe someone interested could pick up codebase and work something for Jolla users.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Afaik tracking 3 devices per account is free. Or correct me if I'm wrong? At least I'm using 3 devices for free. We could ofcourse add config value so you can use your own servers...

Only Pro version is not free for laptop/android tracking, but you dont have to use that option.
I am not sure but I tested Prey with my N9 a year ago and was displeased with this service because you have only limited possibilitys and a limited number to do some actions (If I remeber it right I could track my N9 only one time (what even didn't work - sure the N9 client is not official and not fully functional) and had to pay to do further actions - but I am not sure anymore).

I would love to see a free service/client which works via sms like SMSCon for N900. This would be the best solution.

Edit:
Some other cons are: If you loose your Jolla you have to have access to a device with internet connection, open web browser, login into your Prey account and activate the missing feature and so on...

If we had some client like SMSCon you just could write a smscommand and track your Jolla and do many other actions...

Last edited by willi6868; 2014-03-01 at 21:29.

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I am not sure but I tested Prey with my N9 a year ago and was displeased with this service because you have only limited possibilitys and a limited number to do some actions (If I remeber it right I could track my N9 only one time (what even didn't work - sure the N9 client is not official and not fully functional) and had to pay to do further actions - but I am not sure anymore).

I would love to see a free service/client which works via sms like SMSCon for N900. This would be the best solution.
Remove simcard and you're done for it?
Thats what 99% of the thiefs do... removing simcard..
Which makes the whole thing obsolete...

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Remove simcard and you're done for it?
Thats what 99% of the thiefs do... removing simcard..
Which makes the whole thing obsolete...
Yeah but SMSCon has the feature that it will detect the new SIM card and send you a sms/e-mail ....

Last edited by willi6868; 2014-03-01 at 22:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Yeah but SMSCon have the feature that it will detect the new SIM card and send you a sms ....
what if the thief doesnt insert a new simcard?
what if the inserted simcard has no credit to send an sms?

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
what if the thief doesnt insert a new simcard?
what if the inserted simcard has no credit to send an sms?
If he will connect to the internet (e.g over WIFI) you will be able to do some actions

The Following User Says Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
kinda interresting, I have a Prey - free - account, how exactly can I trace my Jolla if stolen, since I never registered the device.
If its possible after theft, what prevents a thief to register a device before I do ?
If it cant be registered without the actual device, and the software already installed, kinda useless.
So, one more, if the device is stolen, and reflashed / factory reset, what then?
I believe even A's find my phone is useless, if the device is reset (flashed)

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Security features are always optional and user has to _enable_ them, just like enabling devicelock code, will prevent thief to do factory reset as lockcode is queried before device can be resetted. And of course you would also need to register the device to prey (client can ask current lockcode before settings can be altered, so thief cannot just turn it off) or any other backend before remote lock or remote wipe or tracking commands would be possible.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Security features are always optional and user has to _enable_ them, just like enabling devicelock code, will prevent thief to do factory reset as lockcode is queried before device can be resetted. And of course you would also need to register the device to prey (client can ask current lockcode before settings can be altered, so thief cannot just turn it off) or any other backend before remote lock or remote wipe or tracking commands would be possible.
Thanks, its all fair enough for me. Allthough, where is the Prey client

See, even though some community member may have a running client, it wont make it to harbour, simply because it will be rejected as it uses non-jolla libraries.

So, I ask again, where is that anti-theft assistance? You say you rely on thirdparty - like Prey - but, so far, it aint possible (unless you have something in pipeline with the coming release of course)

Last edited by nieldk; 2014-03-02 at 09:48.