Notices

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Shangri-la Oregon
Originally Posted by sampieter View Post
My great UI post

Seriously I wanted to write up a whole bunch of thoughts, but got caught up in those 12/24 mode & alarm mp3 issues. Which, in hindsight, is a good thing: many posters came up with cool UI suggestions! I'm really eager to see how the next beta version will look like. I'm tempted to leave my UI thoughts unwritten until I've seen this next version, but....

One of my previous recommendations was to leave the seconds bar out of the standard screen. As I was constantly testing alarms and whatnot, it turned out to be very hand because I had something to look at). Perhaps you should just leave it in, but why not use this seconds bar as a divider between the clock area (top) and the buttons area(bottom)? A seconds bar might look very natural in between the clock and the buttons. I suspect that the overall look will be cleaner and less cluttered.

(Un?)fortunately no kidding there I spent a lot of my professional time pixelstaring, so that's why I probably saw it.

That's great! I've got two theme ideas, so let me make some designs and I'll get back to you. And, now that you've mentioned 'release time'..... How much time do I have for my theme?
I like the idea of the seconds dividing the clock from the controls.

Also, on the horizontal swiping, I was trying it out to see what it felt like and I often triggered an up/down swipe by mistake. Maybe the number of pixels needed to trigger up/down needs to be increased?

Jim

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by jlslate View Post
I suggested a long long time ago in a thread far far away that if the alarm is ringing, a single tap anywhere snoozes, and a double tap stops it. Thoughts?

Jim
At 4:30am my mind is not yet functioning enough to remember to hit the display either one or two times. A big "Alarm Off" or "Snooze" button is what my mind responds to.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Jolouis, I just thought of a novel display option. My Garmin GPS looks at the time to determine whether it uses a "Day" display or a "Night" display. I would like to see the display automatically change to the "Night" display at 6pm, then have it automatically change back to the "Day" display at 6am.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by jlslate View Post
I suggested a long long time ago in a thread far far away that if the alarm is ringing, a single tap anywhere snoozes, and a double tap stops it. Thoughts?

Jim
Hmmm...how about if I shout at it. A pass phrase of course, not just incoherent furious shouting. That shouldn't that hard? Two pass phrases, "snooze" and "off". You'd have to record yourself saying it so it can pattern match of course. And as such you could record any pass phrase you like. I guess you'd have to activate the mic right before the alarm starts playing, and you'd have to have waveform subtraction to remove what ever was playing so it can try to match your recorded "snooze" or "off" phrase to the mic input. Should be easy!

Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
Jolouis, I just thought of a novel display option. My Garmin GPS looks at the time to determine whether it uses a "Day" display or a "Night" display. I would like to see the display automatically change to the "Night" display at 6pm, then have it automatically change back to the "Day" display at 6am.
I like that! How about gradual brightening to max brightness in sync with the alarm? And/or flashing white/black.

Last edited by iamNarada; 2009-11-13 at 16:10.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Nice idea - but would require the option to over-ride or turn that off. What if I like one display over the other and want to see it regardless of the time of the day.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
How about gradual brightening to max brightness in sync with the alarm?
The idea is that once you are ready to get out of bed, the display is now at full brightness to act as a night light. Therefore the display should stay dim untill you hit the "Alarm Off" button. If you hit "Snooze" it should remain dim. Besides full brightness, the display could also switch to your "Day" display.

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Nice idea - but would require the option to over-ride or turn that off. What if I like one display over the other and want to see it regardless of the time of the day.
Yes, it must be an option that you can turn "off".

The idea is that once you are ready to get out of bed, the display is now at full brightness to act as a night light. Therefore the display should stay dim untill you hit the "Alarm Off" button. If you hit "Snooze" it should remain dim. Besides full brightness, the display could also switch to your "Day" display.
Wellll, I was thinking more along the lines of light as part of the "wake up" process. Sound and light?

Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
Wellll, I was thinking more along the lines of light as part of the "wake up" process. Sound and light?
I see your logic. But I don't think we should have to listen to an alarm or music for 60 seconds to get full brightness. Therefore I suggest that when the alarm goes "off" the sound and music slowooooly increase over a 60 second period. However, if we hit the "alarm off" after just a few seconds the display will 1) change to the "Day" display and 2) increase to full brightness.