Originally Posted by drdrewusaf View Post
Finally, be aware that the new obexd packages automatically install to /usr/libexec rather than /usr/lib/obexd.
If you use the "obexd-packaging" repository from:
http://meego.gitorious.org/maemo-blu...bexd-packaging
and use the tools from "git-buildpackage" package, it would apply the patches from the debian/patches directory to the obexd package, which are - I think - tested for the maemo platform.
Allthough I have not used this myself.

Hello,

Drew, i've tested the files you've sent, but it seems that i wasn't aware that my car uses the IrMc protocol.

For your tutorial to be full, you should add the way of installing the dbus file obex-client.service, because in my phone there was no such file, so i needed to improvise.

i'm getting this in the syslog, with either obexd/libopenobex version,

Code:
Jun 28 20:02:18 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CPIN?
Jun 28 20:02:18 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CPBS=?
Jun 28 20:02:19 Nokia-N900-02-8 last message repeated 10 times
Jun 28 20:02:19 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CNMI=3,1
Jun 28 20:02:19 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CNMI=2,1
Jun 28 20:02:19 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CMGF?
Jun 28 20:02:19 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CGMM
Jun 28 20:02:19 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CSCS?
Jun 28 20:02:19 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CGMR
Jun 28 20:02:19 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CGMM
Jun 28 20:02:19 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CGMR
Jun 28 20:02:20 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CIMI
Jun 28 20:02:20 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CSCS?
Jun 28 20:02:21 Nokia-N900-02-8 last message repeated 3 times
Jun 28 20:02:21 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CSCS="GSM"
Jun 28 20:02:21 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CSCS="8859-1"
Jun 28 20:02:22 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CSCS="ASCII"
Jun 28 20:02:23 Nokia-N900-02-8 bluetoothd[900]: Badly formated or unrecognized command: AT+CIMI
hschmitt, i saw you have the same problem.. are there any exits from our problem?

thanks,

I would like to test this on the bluetooth car kit of my Toyota Prius, but...Can I test this on my phone without consequences, or will it kill my unit?

It's my only phone and I need it for work - I often use BT->3G to connect my laptop to the internet.

:lore

From my experience (installing/de-installing) the packages Drew sent, i saw no loss of functionality on my phone - i've tested with the new packages a file-sending operation to a laptop with Windows XP - via bluetooth - a laptop which was already paired with my phone. It worked.

It would be nice if it would work for you.

Also please stand by until Drew replies regarding the obex-client.service file, because you might get into a situation if you don't improvise.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Landstuhl, Germany
Update 1:
It seems that after a reboot of the phone, I still need to invoke a PBAP request from the head unit (remember that the phone wasn't advertising PBAP until the head unit specifically asked for it). If I don't invoke a request, the "random" list gets transfered as "Dialed Numbers" only. Zero investigation today, I'll re-attack tomorrow.

Originally Posted by john_doe252 View Post
For your tutorial to be full, you should add the way of installing the dbus file obex-client.service, because in my phone there was no such file, so i needed to improvise.
Yep, I forgot that it installed with one of my debs... If you are building from source, the file is located in the client folder and can be copied over w/o editing. It should be noted that the obex-client is probably not used, so the existence of either file is probably moot... In any case, the tutorial is fixed. Oh, and sorry about the irmc thing. It looks like it's supported by openobex and obexd, just need a plugin/backend for obexd to use. Have you tried building the obexd binary with the --with-phonebook=dummy or the --with-phonebook=tracker switches? While I know it most likely won't work, it would be interesting to see the results.

lore:

Please take what I say with a grain of salt...just because it SHOULD work, doesn't mean it will. That said, this is still pretty safe.

For testing this out with minimal impact on your phone's "mission readiness" follow these steps:

1) Perform step 1 from the previous tutorial, then reboot the device. You should be able to operate safely with the new openobex 1.5-2 and the old obexd binary.

2) Perform step 2 from the previous tutorial.

3) As root, edit /usr/share/dbus-1/obexd.service. Edit ONLY the path to obexd in the "Exec=" line. It should already be "/usr/lib/obexd", change it to "/usr/libexec/obexd". Reboot.

4) Check your BT->3G connection.
4a) If it is not working, downgrade both packages by running these two commands as root:
Code:
apt-get install libopenobex1=1.4-0maemo3+0m5
apt-get install obexd=0.18-0maemo5+0m5
4b) If it is working, CONGRATULATIONS! Go test PBAP with your car! And tell us what happens!

Drew

Last edited by drdrewusaf; 2010-07-13 at 07:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to drdrewusaf For This Useful Post:
Can someone post the exact instructions on how to edit the odexd.service file as described in the walkthrough.

I have vim and leafpad installed and in the terminal I've typed sudo gainroot. Then leafpad /usr/share/d-bus1/services/obex.service.

Leafpad opens but the screen in blank. Nothing to edit.

And I mean EXACT instructions. I have no linux experience but I have managed to installed the 2 .deb files.

Ok, I guess I'm meant to download the attached .txt file. I've edited it but how do I copy it to /usr/share/d-bus1/services?

Right - getting there figured out d-bus1 should be dbus-1.

Followed all instructions but no joy with the car kit. Tried manual sync from the car kit but it says failure.

I'm uisng a Bury AD9060 in an Audi A3.

Drew,

Thanks for the tips, but here it didnīt work.

After step 2), I think you may add "Set the permissions of the files obexd and obex-client:

Code:
chmod 755 obexd obex-client
"

My obexd is running with the new command line, but my car kit cannot download the contacts (the bluetooth connection is interupted abruptly).

I am using a Pioneer 9080bt (brazillian car kit).

PS: Sorry for my english

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Landstuhl, Germany
Tutorial fixes: Fixed d-bus1 to be dbus-1. Added step to make obexd and obex-client executable.

For everyone testing this but not getting good results, please install and run hcidump. It will give insight to your problems. First you need to add the developer repository: http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...5#Installation. After adding the repository, run the following command as root:
Code:
apt-get install bluez-hcidump
Now that you have hcidump installed, you can run it as root like so:
Code:
hcidump -w /some/path/somefilename
(where "/some/path/somefilename" is a real path and any name you choose for your output file.)

For testing with hcidump, run the command right before turning your head unit/car on. Then, do what you would normally do to get contacts to show up and wait for it to fail. Then, press ctrl+c on the phone to exit hcidump. Finally, upload your dump files so we can see what's going on.

The debugging info from obexd would be even more useful, but I can't get it to work. I've compiled it with debugging, but it refuses to give any output (unless it's saving a log somewhere that I don't know about). Maybe hschmitt or ossman can tell me what I'm doing wrong... I'm going to post this info in the actual bug report today so the package maintainers are aware of what's going on.

Drew

Last edited by drdrewusaf; 2010-06-29 at 08:37.