Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
I use N900 every day for Network and SSH-Purposes. No other gadget give me the same feeling. My Jolla with TOHKBD (TOHKBD sold) was not so comfortable for the daily use.... But for a dayly smartphone it is perfect.....
Nokia N900 is not a smartphone at all. Its a small Linux Computer with 3G Modem... And for computer usage - its perfect...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I really, really, really want/need this application. I cannot be the only one.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sweet, sweet memories.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Someone solved this in the Android/iOS world. It's called Tinder. Someone else already RE'd the API, so creating a Maemo client would be quite feasible.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Too bad we abandoned the sex app idea.

We were the founders of the tinder concept yet we coldheartedly ignored it and instead some hotshots released it to iOS/Android.

With all the funding that a maemo-ian tinder could've produced, the Neo900 project could've been remarkably accelerated!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
We'll just make one exclusive to N900. It'll only show you other people near you with who have an N900. :P

I'm reading through the ideas, keep them coming'
Though I must stress the *small* software bit, not something that'll turn into a large project :P

The last thing I coded (I think, in general) is the Smartcam client I made aaaaaages ago, so I am a little rusty.

But yeah, I'll look after all the ideas more and make a list of something likely to least likely depending on what I can find out about the software/if I think it'll be too confusing/annoying for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Massachusetts
I still use my N900 as a backup handset when my N9 is not available. It has one of the best media players - OpenMediaPlayer (OMP). I also like to use it as a serveilance camera with Watchdog app.

I'm pretty content with what's already available, but the ones available could sure use some updates or perhaps a new one that is up to date. For example, I use Twitter and Facebook frequently, as much as the web browser. While there are apps like Tweetian, and the port of Rocket, it would be nice to have one that has updated features like ability to tag (10) people in a photo. There's also video and GIF upload now. I also love the ability to copy a tweet URL and/or quoting, and viewing conversations. TwimGo and Tweed Suit were my favorites but no longer work for me.

The same with Facebook. Facebook has a lot of new features where the native app on Maemo is incapable. There are some other social networks I'm interested in such Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, Periscope, but there doesn't seem any way to access them besides through the web browser.

Although there's one I think would be really good, and that is an application that lets us broadcast live streams to popular services such as Twitch, YouTube, Ustream, WatchPeopleCode, etc.
Bambuser does this, and I like using that, but it's only for Bambuser site. It would really awesome if it supports custom RTMP server so we can direct it to certain IP addresses/any service we want. Something along lines of OBS, which is what I use on the PC to stream my desktop and video games I play. I plan on using my Nokia devices to live stream while on-the-go. I'd love to see a project like that exist. If you need someone to design icons and pieces of graphics, I'd be obliged to help build it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Roth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
I don't still use it, I use it, because there is nothing better that I can get to fill like my n900 does.

It would be hard to say what I use, I have half of repository installed, use 75% of it.

n900 is my mp3player, camera, mobile computer, web browser, note takieing machine, video player and what not

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 106 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Switzerland
I use my N900 - as phone and pocket computer - I am interested by a modern browser (maybe "netsurf") and WhatsApp Web App support in Yapari.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ymartin59 For This Useful Post:
I use N900 as my main phone now. I have workarounded the browser problem with VNC to my server where i use chromium. Works really nice and fast. Maybe it could be even enahanced somehow - e.g. custom protocol or VNC client so that no traffic is needed for scrolling.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to psonek For This Useful Post: