is there a way to force the n900 to use classic google by default rather than the moble version?

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
I was wondering the same thing........not that I know of. I resorted to making a google bookmark of the classic page with a N900 search so it loads in classic with the latest n900 results. I also save a bookmark to my desktop of my igoogle page.

As far as forcing the blue G search to look for classic, I think all a coder (i.e. not me) would do is find the init string/html link to that button and change it to default to google classic.

But what do I know about anything lol.....

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
You could use TouchSearch instead >> http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/touchsearch/

Although the author has configured a Google search using a registered API.

You can set up your own searches to return results in whatever way you initiated them during set-up.

In addition to his, I set up two of my own. A full Classic Google search that I call "WEB" in TouchSearch. And one I initiated with the N900's Google widget that I call "Mobile" in TouchSearch.

I can easily switch between the two from this app's desktop widget and no longer need the Google widget that came with the N900.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Macon, GA | Warsaw, PL | Hanoi, VN
I believe you can get HideUserAgent from the App. Manager and use it to change the user agent to some kind of desktop web browser, so that google and other websites will automatically display desktop versions of their websites.

Originally Posted by Rapparee View Post
is there a way to force the n900 to use classic google by default rather than the moble version?
There is a way. I cannot remember the full info but you can find it on this site. You open your browser and in the address bar write "about:config" (without " ) you then get a note that tells you about the dangers accept them and you will see all the settings for the browser. I changed mine to Google UK as I am in Qatar and do not like having to change to english whenever I open the web browser. Hope this helps.

Go into the web browser.
Type in 'about:config'
Notice the 'here be dragons' warning, and promise that you'll be careful.
Click in the filter box at the top and type 'google'
You're looking for the keyword.URL preference.
Enable the microb mouse cursor by sliding in from the left
Use your stylus to double-click the value of that preference and change it to something like
Code:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=ms-nokia-maemo&channel=unibox&q=
For the full UK google site.
Click 'Done'

Preferably keep something about nokia and maemo in there so they know we're using it

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
Go into the web browser.
Type in 'about:config'
Notice the 'here be dragons' warning, and promise that you'll be careful.
Click in the filter box at the top and type 'google'
You're looking for the keyword.URL preference.
Enable the microb mouse cursor by sliding in from the left
Use your stylus to double-click the value of that preference and change it to something like
Code:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=ms-nokia-maemo&channel=unibox&q=
For the full UK google site.
Click 'Done'

Preferably keep something about nokia and maemo in there so they know we're using it

You Rock! TYVM