Active Topics

Hi,

I'm having the following error when trying to search for updated applications:

https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fr...mr0/./Packages
Could not resolve host downloads.maemo.nokia.com (Could not contact DNS servers)
(and the same for the other two nokia repositories)

This only happens when I have my N900 connected to my home WiFi (Orange ADSL with Livebox 2 router). On different WiFis the app manager correctly searchs for updated software. However, on my home WiFi I have full internet access (using a PC and also using the N900) and I can browse the web through MicroB. Even I can connect to https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com and the name is correctly resolved.

I have tried changing the DNS in the N900 WiFi connections from auto to fixed DNS, but the app manager still shows the same message. I have tried using fixed DNS in the router, but with no success.

Do you have any idea about the problem?

Best regards.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Hmm. As a side note I´m getting bad certificate error with Firefox 3.6.10 (win 7 64-bit). Is this bug report stuff or just normal?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
No idea, but I have had similar repository problems, but intermittent. I was able to update four apps today.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by ikerrg View Post
Hi,

I'm having the following error when trying to search for updated applications:

https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fr...mr0/./Packages
Could not resolve host downloads.maemo.nokia.com (Could not contact DNS servers)
(and the same for the other two nokia repositories)

This only happens when I have my N900 connected to my home WiFi (Orange ADSL with Livebox 2 router). On different WiFis the app manager correctly searchs for updated software. However, on my home WiFi I have full internet access (using a PC and also using the N900) and I can browse the web through MicroB. Even I can connect to https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com and the name is correctly resolved.

I have tried changing the DNS in the N900 WiFi connections from auto to fixed DNS, but the app manager still shows the same message. I have tried using fixed DNS in the router, but with no success.

Do you have any idea about the problem?

Best regards.
The thing is that downloads.maemo.nokia.com then redirects to another server, which is where the resolution is failing. Usually the issue is with the DNS servers used - you need to change them either in the WiFi router, on the N900, or both. Try using the Google DNS servers instead (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Hmm. As a side note I´m getting bad certificate error with Firefox 3.6.10 (win 7 64-bit). Is this bug report stuff or just normal?
This is normal. It is related with the redirection to an akamai technologies web site. This happens in every browser and connection (also in MicroB and IE 8)

The Following User Says Thank You to ikerrg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
The thing is that downloads.maemo.nokia.com then redirects to another server, which is where the resolution is failing. Usually the issue is with the DNS servers used - you need to change them either in the WiFi router, on the N900, or both. Try using the Google DNS servers instead (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).
OK, this evening I'll change the DNS servers of both the router and the N900 connection. I already did that using other generic DNS servers, but it didn't work.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Tried this solution but didn't worked. I changed the DNS of the N900 wifi connection and the DNS of the router. Although web browsing is still possible, the N900 cannot search updates from nokia servers. Any other idea? Please, help, it is very annoying to have to search for updates in "foreign" WiFis.

Thanks.

@Rob1n:
Please, could you tell me at which server is the downloads.maemo.nokia.com redirecting to? I'd like to test if I can directly ping to it. I have no problem pingin downloads.maemo.nokia.com. It is resolved as 90.84.49.75 in my N900 console window. Any idea?

Thank you.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by ikerrg View Post
@Rob1n:
Please, could you tell me at which server is the downloads.maemo.nokia.com redirecting to? I'd like to test if I can directly ping to it. I have no problem pingin downloads.maemo.nokia.com. It is resolved as 90.84.49.75 in my N900 console window. Any idea?

Thank you.
I don't know. downloads.maemo.nokia.com is an alias linking into the Akamai distributed mirror setup. As that seems to resolve properly for you, I can only assume that the website is then redirecting elsewhere for the actual downloads, otherwise there wouldn't be the resolution errors. In most cases, changing the DNS in either the router or the N900 has fixed this for others with similar issues. If you use the Power Search function on the right, you might be able to find some alternative solutions in some of the previous threads though.