Active Topics

Hi, so my and n9 and me gave in to the pressure and I switched to a new android mobile.

I wanted an up to date (middle class) device without having to do without things I have come to love with my n9.

Do you have any experiences you can share? which android apps help to create a n9 experience? (I ask because I think there might be people on the board who have more than one kind of phone, don't be offended by my question

1.) a more specific question regarding contacts - chat - integration:
integrated contacts with social media chat (I mean I should be able to see, when I want to contact someone from my address book, where they are onlline - green circle or whatever) and start communicating with them right away (via the same app or the native app eg. facebook, skype, whatsapp?, signal?, google hangouts)
There are so many apps, but can't really find an overview regarding this criterion... also adds, adds and even more adds.. AND privacy issues...

Thanks, and
still loving n9

I don't think you can see if a person is online or not (have to open each apps themselves) but from the contact book you could see a list of social media attached to their contact and message them from there (still opens its own app).
Also, what specific apps are you looking for?

Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
I don't think you can see if a person is online or not (have to open each apps themselves) but from the contact book you could see a list of social media attached to their contact and message them from there (still opens its own app).
Also, what specific apps are you looking for?
Thanks. Which contact book app are you using (the probably pre-installed google contacts app?). I would like to store my contacts locally... if possible.

Hmmm let's see.. I'd be interested in
- an always on display like on the n9 (time, messages, perhaps weather ) - haven't tried it yet, is it battery consuming?
- something like the left screen on the n9, a social media feed (but usable (-; )
- generally apps with a similarly elegant design, which I miss in small things like the calculator.
- also a mail client like on the n9, that is not merely an interface but stores the mails much like an app for the computer.

tbc

Originally Posted by still_loving_n9 View Post
Thanks. Which contact book app are you using (the probably pre-installed google contacts app?). I would like to store my contacts locally... if possible.

Hmmm let's see.. I'd be interested in
- an always on display like on the n9 (time, messages, perhaps weather ) - haven't tried it yet, is it battery consuming?
- something like the left screen on the n9, a social media feed (but usable (-; )
- generally apps with a similarly elegant design, which I miss in small things like the calculator.
- also a mail client like on the n9, that is not merely an interface but stores the mails much like an app for the computer.

tbc
Even with the pre-installed google contacts app, you could add contacts locally. If you don't trust a google app, you could use an AOSP contacts app if you have an AOSP rom.

- Generally most flagships today have an always on screen, but it's still not a native feature on AOSP android (at least I don't think so). There are some phones that have a glance feature, that shows the AOD but it's not always on, only activated if you pick up the phone. Having an OLED screen would probably help with battery, so that just depends on what type of phone you have.
- I don't think there are any social media feeds on Android, but there are apps that combine multiple apps such as twitter and facebook into one app, but those are just html wrappers with a few modifications.
- The apps are generally good looking in the google sense (material design), but it's not like N9's apps.
- I'm not sure if the Gmail app stores emails locally, but you can access mails online if you've opened it recently (probably because of cache)

If you are hoping to match how N9 works, Sailfish OS is the most similar since the same guys are working on it. It has a social feed, and has a similar design like the N9 (in addition to silica UI).

Let me know if you need anything else

The Following User Says Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Woollahra
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
snip...

- I don't think there are any social media feeds on Android, but there are apps that combine multiple apps such as twitter and facebook into one app, but those are just html wrappers with a few modifications.
...snip...
If you are hoping to match how N9 works, Sailfish OS is the most similar since the same guys are working on it. It has a social feed, and has a similar design like the N9 (in addition to silica UI).

Let me know if you need anything else
htc Sense almost does the same (Android app)

& correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Social Feed" is a Twitter feed (only). I have seen a combined Facebook / Twitter feed in promtional videos, but believe the Facebook functionality has been removed

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Hi. If you root your phone you can make a swipe style ui using swipeback module on Xposed app. Also GMD app (needs root too) will also allow many gesture type actions. Although not perfect can make android begin to look like N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Hi, in terms of look, you should definitely try Nova Launcher. It's paid (the full version), but worth it: with it, you can make your home screen look almost exactly as N9's.
Then, modify your app icons with MeeGo-Harmattan Theme and MeeUI (also paid if I remember). You can get something like in the screenshots below.
Samsung A3 does have an always on display, it's quite cheap and it's small
A nice app to have offline emails is BlueMail
https://ibb.co/hfJgC7
https://ibb.co/kuy3QS

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merenor For This Useful Post: