Active Topics

Originally Posted by pisarz1958 View Post
What if the newer version of the browser engine had some optimizations and fixes? (probably has) What if new APIs not only let you do things you couldn't before, but saved both your time as a developer, and maybe even valuable resources? You can't just dismiss anything that's new because you just assume nobody cares about writing good code anymore.

I don't think it's about being younger or older, it's about being a good coder or a bad coder.
Oh, of course there will be improvements in the newer versions. Again, we don't dismiss 'anything that's new', we dismiss 'that which is new but worse'. I'm only annoyed by the carefree/careless attitude that dominates the field of technology, which causes the problem that everyone constantly has to clean up after each other and catch up with each other.

I also can't really think of any examples where both time and resources are saved (well, save for throwing bureaucracy out the window). It did remind me of the marvellous KolibriOS. I just found out it even runs Doom!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
we don't dismiss 'anything that's new', we dismiss 'that which is new but worse'
I don't understand why it is so difficult to get across. I thought it was obvious but apparently not. Unless some people are being obtuse on purpose. Or indoctrinated.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I no longer know what we're talking about, but you guys definitely sounded like you wanted to stick to 3 years old Firefox and you were against "new web standards". I don't know if you have actually done any modern web development, maybe you're just judging the whole tech by some badly coded, high-profile apps (Facebook? ) as most of my friends do.

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I'm only annoyed by the carefree/careless attitude that dominates the field of technology, which causes the problem that everyone constantly has to clean up after each other and catch up with each other.
I am too. But I also think that change is sometimes needed and welcome - especially for CSS which is a goddamn mess. I still haven't tried any of the trendy JS frameworks nor NodeJS cause this is a wild west.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pisarz1958 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I still haven't tried any of the trendy JS frameworks nor NodeJS cause this is a wild west.
Nothing wrong with nodejs, it's fully a server-side technique so you get to pretty much decide what gets rendered on the browser

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Nothing wrong with nodejs, it's fully a server-side technique so you get to pretty much decide what gets rendered on the browser
Remember left-pad?

The Following User Says Thank You to pisarz1958 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Remember left-pad?
ahhahhaa
Yes of course, npm is both curse and blessing!

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
It has now reached @claustn and it's new life

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post: