Well, ok; didn't mean I'd necessarily be happy with it, either; just that that would account for the predicted level of reaction. Remember, the implication was a mob with questions, and not all questions are happy.

Still, maybe it'll be the N9xx series, with 99 models to suit every taste, skill level, and budget! (Now you're guaranteed to be dissatisfied )

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yeah, Hawaii is a bit out of the way. I could go for Texas, that one's easy.
Yeah, I have family in the Dallas area. I could easily afford to attend a Summit there. Not that I'm sure everyone who is active in this thread would want to see me.

If it weren't for the 8ish hour time difference, 2 teleconferenced Summits (for next year, not this one), one in the US and one in Europe, would be kind of cool. A wall projector in the back of each room, so that it looks (virtually) like you have one very long room with a stage at each end.

So, for talks given in the US, it looks like the European members are in the way back of the room, and the European members would have to turn their chairs around to face the back of their room; and visa verse (for talks given in Europe, the US members would have to turn their chairs around to face the back of their room, and they'd appear to be to the rear of the European conf. room). Then one or two supplementary monitors for closeups of the stage speakers, or something along those lines.

With the time difference, though, you'd almost want all of the sessions to be set late afternoon/evening in Europe, and then mid/late morning in the US. That might be ok, but it might be sort of uncomfortable, too.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
EU != Europe, and the laws in each European country differ. For example, in UK one can be forced to reveal your cryptographic keys. I'm not saying Europe or EU are the creme de la creme in general, mind you.

In this specific example however the EU however doesn't have a similar policy as U.S. Government Policy for Seizing Laptops at Borders
On the other hand, your N810 isn't likely to hit their radar as a Laptop.

Put your data card(s) into a separate container (made of nylon mesh, leather, cloth, or light plastic).

Put your N810 in its regular case, in an external pocket of your briefcase/backpack/messenger-bag, just like it's a cell phone. And that's how they'll almost certainly treat your N810 -- like it's your second cell phone.

Really, when I last traveled, they were FAR more concerned about this nylon mesh pouch I had full of 8 (total) AA and AAA batteries, than they were about the Hard Plastic Pelican Case I had with the N810 inside ... or my iGo Stowaway keyboard. The latter two things didn't seem important to them at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm going to be bringing 2 N800s, a portable HDD, a camera, a battery pack, a hub, my bluetooth GPS, bluetooth keyboard, lots of spare AA batteries, lots of wires and connectors, etc... I hope they don't think I'm trying to build a bomb or something.

There's something a bit ironic about being able to carry on all of this stuff but not being able to carry on a bottle of shampoo or a pair of tiny scissors in a sewing pack.

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-15 at 02:00.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Yeah, I have family in the Dallas area. I could easily afford to attend a Summit there. Not that I'm sure everyone who is active in this thread would want to see me.

If it weren't for the 8ish hour time difference, 2 teleconferenced Summits (for next year, not this one), one in the US and one in Europe, would be kind of cool. A wall projector in the back of each room, so that it looks (virtually) like you have one very long room with a stage at each end.

So, for talks given in the US, it looks like the European members are in the way back of the room, and the European members would have to turn their chairs around to face the back of their room; and visa verse (for talks given in Europe, the US members would have to turn their chairs around to face the back of their room, and they'd appear to be to the rear of the European conf. room). Then one or two supplementary monitors for closeups of the stage speakers, or something along those lines.

With the time difference, though, you'd almost want all of the sessions to be set late afternoon/evening in Europe, and then mid/late morning in the US. That might be ok, but it might be sort of uncomfortable, too.
That would be very cool. I favor late schedules over early ones, though; "morning" is a scary word for me. Still, any summit's better than no summit.

And, since N8x0s should be rather abundant, tablet-suitable video streams would not be out of order for those auxiliary feeds...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
@ qole, what you don't need don't take with you on carry-on. I had all kind of legal supplements with me, and I was afraid they'd go figure out what the hell that all was, but I put it in my bagage. The carry-on gets a special treatment.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
On the other hand, your N810 isn't likely to hit their radar as a Laptop.
Laptop is in the headline. Headlines are hardly ever accurate, and you clearly haven't read the article. The article speaks about any device able to store data. That includes a DAP, camera, PDA, cellphone too, for example.

The problem is not that they are allowed to confiscate this. It makes sense to confiscate something like fruit. They are legit matters. The problem, besides privacy issues, is that the TSA doesn't need a probable cause, and that they can keep the device(s) indefintely. The United States also plans on a copyright police doing the work of *AA.

For example, my DAP only contains legal copies of music but it'd be a hell to proof to them I own these copies.

Really, when I last traveled, they were FAR more concerned about this nylon mesh pouch I had full of 8 (total) AA and AAA batteries, than they were about the Hard Plastic Pelican Case I had with the N810 inside ... or my iGo Stowaway keyboard. The latter two things didn't seem important to them at all.
When was this?

They never cared about my electronic devices either, but that was more than a year ago. This 'laptop' policy however is recent.

The only pathetic thing about the EU airline policy is that they care about liquids which have to be properly bagged, and apparently a can of saturated coconut oil is a terrorist tool as well, because it was confiscated at SFO. My lipstick was in a seperate, plastic bag.

Besides that, I don't wish to be treated like an animal/criminal, and the last time I was in the USA it was heading that way. Fingerprints, iris scan, address, searching through all bagage, have to explain what I come doing. On SFO I even had to put my shoes off. Then again, thats California...

YMMV. I speak for myself, not all non-US or EU civilians.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
That would be very cool. I favor late schedules over early ones, though; "morning" is a scary word for me. Still, any summit's better than no summit.

And, since N8x0s should be rather abundant, tablet-suitable video streams would not be out of order for those auxiliary feeds...
Yeah, its a nice idea, and not only necessarily for US and EU, also for other parts of the world. You could even sync up to each other's podcasts and videos.

Live sessions might be difficult, the time difference between Berlin and New York is usually 6 hours, and Berlin and San Francisco it is usually 9 hours. In Helsinki its even an hour later than in Berlin, and London is an hour earlier than Berlin. See GMT on Wikipedia for more details.

To make the time difference as small as possible East USA would probably be the easiest. Also, not all would have to be live/interactive, maybe only a selected bunch of scheduled events.

I said 'is usually' because daylight savings are activated at different times in US and Europe (and throughout the world as well). On Wikipedia is more information about these differences. Link.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
There's something a bit ironic about being able to carry on all of this stuff but not being able to carry on a bottle of shampoo or a pair of tiny scissors in a sewing pack.
Only a bit?

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Hee hee HEE.
Someday we'll force you to talk

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
My lipstick was in a seperate, plastic bag.
That was unexpected.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo.org