Yes you can with kexec droid

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wganis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
This makes me to buy Motorola Droid 4 to run Maemo, it seems that it run SailfishOS too, so my only guestion is can I run both in same phone, just switching in boot?
You should be able to use kexecboot to boot to both Sailfish and Maemo Leste. I haven't tried this. Keep in mind that Maemo Leste doesn't work that great without hw accel yet. It's been worked on for the Droid 4 -- but it's not there yet.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Would be nice to here how many people you have got as an active core developers with Maemo Leste and about how many are doing some application porting stuff? Just to know a bit of the interest people have. And which groups or communities have announced their interest on Maemo Leste? To know what kind of support you have outside of this community. If there wouldn't be F(x) Pro 1 I bet you would have more people on your team.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-08-28 at 18:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
If there wouldn't be F(x) Pro 1 I bet you would have more people on your team.
Don't worry, F(x) Pro 1 doesn't run Maemo yet..so when they understand that Maemo is what they need, they come.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Can I test Maemo-Leste if I have Fanoush's Boot Menu and not U-boot on my N900? Is there somekind real reason to use U-Boot?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
Can I test Maemo-Leste if I have Fanoush's Boot Menu and not U-boot on my N900? Is there somekind real reason to use U-Boot?
Fanoush Bootmenu allows you to run an alternative Linux distro using the kernel already on the device, since it is loaded after the kernel is already running.

u-Boot 'sits' where kernel normally sits, and gets loaded by the bootloader as if it is a real kernel. u-Boot then loads any normal kernel (Leste uses 5.x), and the rest is history ...

That said, the u-boot we use has Bootmenu built in, https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81613 . So yes, plain Bootmenu will not suffice for Leste.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Sorry about my ignorance on this question but what are the main differences between Maemo and Maemo Leste?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
Sorry about my ignorance on this question but what are the main differences between Maemo and Maemo Leste?
Mainly:
  • KERNEL VERSION: Fremantle - 2.6; Leste - mainline, currently 5.x
  • SUPPORTED DEVICES: Fremantle - N900 only; Leste - any device with mainline kernel support
  • FOSS STATUS: Fremantle - some components closed; Leste - fully FOSS
  • PROJECT STATUS: Fremantle - dead/frozen; Leste - WIP and should be supported into the future since it's fully FOSS
  • HARDWARE SUPPORT: Fremantle - complete support for N900 hardware; Leste - WIP since some components, esp. 3D accel are still being worked on kernel-side

And many more

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
Mainly:
  • KERNEL VERSION: Fremantle - 2.6; Leste - mainline, currently 5.x
  • SUPPORTED DEVICES: Fremantle - N900 only; Leste - any device with mainline kernel support
  • FOSS STATUS: Fremantle - some components closed; Leste - fully FOSS
  • PROJECT STATUS: Fremantle - dead/frozen; Leste - WIP and should be supported into the future since it's fully FOSS
  • HARDWARE SUPPORT: Fremantle - complete support for N900 hardware; Leste - WIP since some components, esp. 3D accel are still being worked on kernel-side

And many more
Thanks for the explanations. What abou apps?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
From this thread I think it can be found that a lot of porting of fremantle apps have already been done and will be done more when Leste is running well. And I think there will be a lots of apps if Leste will be used on different devices so the user community grows and the interest from people having updated apps will lead developing them. Just a scenario but I believe it is plausible.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:

Tags
leste, maemo 7