Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
For how long?
The first one i did it still lasts for 3 years without errors. Two more i have done last year still running well. One of them has the battery drain problem but telephony keeps strong

PS: looking for a board if anyone has one for sell

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
the springs and paper shim and balls help force the cracked loose solder balls down, A heat gun or reflow oven melts the solder and makes it permanent.
Things like badly fit batteries or being flexed in your pocket flex the circuit board and break loose the weak-process solder balling especially on that modem chip.
I assume it was a chip fab or something form when 0% lead soldering was still working out the problems with that process. If you were brave you could hot air it off solder paste both surfaces clean really well with solder wick and see if you can do a new leaded reballing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I haven't yet found even one fully working in those 58. I would have sold to Deutch the board but I haven't yet got any with both usb and cellular working. And have not got time to check them after buying them. Been working, building my car project and searching with metal detector when free form father/husband stuffs. Today found ten coins cirka 1803-1897, one of them silver. Oldest coins I have yet found. Haven't really hunted any good spots and just went to nearby field to search.

I hope I will on May have time to check those phones. Will contact you then Deutch if I will find a working one.My friend called today and said he will give me for free his working N900 which he has't used for years. That I will keep as a spare phone for myself. But I will try to support community with these spare parts. One asked for stylus and another qwerty keyboard.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
I haven't yet found even one fully working in those 58. I would have sold to Deutch the board but I haven't yet got any with both usb and cellular working. And have not got time to check them after buying them. Been working, building my car project and searching with metal detector when free form father/husband stuffs. Today found ten coins cirka 1803-1897, one of them silver. Oldest coins I have yet found. Haven't really hunted any good spots and just went to nearby field to search.

I hope I will on May have time to check those phones. Will contact you then Deutch if I will find a working one.My friend called today and said he will give me for free his working N900 which he has't used for years. That I will keep as a spare phone for myself. But I will try to support community with these spare parts. One asked for stylus and another qwerty keyboard.
I apreciate it and if it has telephony problems but good USB port i will take it. That and a qwerty keyboard. I can send a qwertz to someone who needs one

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
My tip - use some good solder flux for BGA, it will help to melt solder at lower temperature and also will clean some oxidized crap under the ICs. After that reflow cleaning will be ofc needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Trzyzet For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Trzyzet View Post
My tip - use some good solder flux for BGA, it will help to melt solder at lower temperature and also will clean some oxidized crap under the ICs. After that reflow cleaning will be ofc needed.
Do you mean squirt the flux under the BGA without removing it, then reflow? How do you make sure the flux gets under there evenly and wets all the underside of the IC?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
In my much younger days, I used to make a colophonia (rosin) in alcohol solution. An extremely useful stuff. Etch your own PCB, then cover it with that solution - hey presto, when it dries, you have your PCB not only covered with a protective mask, but a mask that makes tbe shine in the copper stand out AND acts like flux when soldering.

I can't remember where I got the alcohol from. Regular gin, vodka or single malt Scotch won't do, you need the real stuff, 95%. IPA or acetone might work too (I haven't tried).

A sufficiently thin such solution might have a chance to seep under the IC, if you are lucky

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Do you mean squirt the flux under the BGA without removing it, then reflow?
Exactly this.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
How do you make sure the flux gets under there evenly and wets all the underside of the IC?
There is many type of flux - gels, liquids etc. For gels and solids you need to heat them up (activate) to make them flow under the IC. Liquid one will do it straight away.
When you put the flux from the one side of the chip, flux will really characteristically flow and stick inside. Hard to miss that

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trzyzet For This Useful Post:
Well all this stuff goes over my head and can't grab what you mean. I have seen videos of resoldering the gpu and there people use some stuffs but I have never learned what stuff it is. I found one pc store that is kept by an old man. He showed me that they have this gpu reballing machine in their cellar. I have thought that I would like to try to swap a gpu from N9 to N900. Or ia it gpu? I know as much of the parts of computer as I know of my motorcycle engine: zero understanding. I mean the square shaped piece on in the motherboard,. cpu/gpu. Names have never ment anything for me, not with theologians or philosophers, not with pc parts or engines. Only thing that matters is "Does it work?".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
GPU= Gee, Processor U mean?

CPU= Computer Processor Unknown.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:

Tags
baking, cellular, sim problem