Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Here's a preview of the first shot of 0.17:

.. running on N810. Bit slow, but should fly with GLES drivers.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Neat; the drivers are one part Nokia IP and another part ???'s IP right? that's the holdup at this point?
---
As soon as Mer gets to that livable point (for me), my N800 might get a new home with a few folks that have need of open devices in my circles.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Is there an estimation on when you'll get the drivers, or an estimated release for 0.17?

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Nice! A Fully functional Mer with the GL drivers on my N800 would satisfy my 'Tablet running Maemo 5 with 4.1" screen' craving. The N900 is very nice as a phone, but I still like the screen real estate of the N800.

ARJWright - there is no hold up anymore, TI has said they will release the drivers shortly.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
The GL drivers will support 800x480?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
The GL drivers will support 800x480?
Yeah.. I mean why not?

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Sorry, the drivers probably support 800x480, but the 3d accelerator can not render to the LCD frame buffer directly because it's an off chip controller, to my knowledge, thus limiting the frame rate. I thought this was the reason that Nokia didn't support the 3d hardware from the start on the N8x0 platform.

Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
Yeah.. I mean why not?
Frank

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 462 | Thanked: 550 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Moscow
Really nice
Waiting for TI to make us happy

Sorry, the drivers probably support 800x480, but the 3d accelerator can not render to the LCD frame buffer directly because it's an off chip controller, to my knowledge, thus limiting the frame rate. I thought this was the reason that Nokia didn't support the 3d hardware from the start on the N8x0 platform.
The frame rate will be limited due to the memory framebuffer <-> separate LCD controller bandwidth issue, but this does not affect what the PowerVR does (as it will just render to the main memory framebuffer). Certainly if you want something to run faster you'll want to render to a smaller part of the screen and use the LCD controller features to expand that, etc., but that's not the same thing.

I think the reason it wasn't supported to begin with was more to do with the buginess of the driver, or at least that's what I heard...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
I think both Nokia and TI people have said that the original driver wasn't GPL compliant so it couldn't be distributed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post: