Active Topics

It is a lot of speculation, but it would explain how Nokia intends to bring Qt to low-end devices: using linux.
Qt for Symbian still has a lot of rough edges, and judging from that experience a lot of people (including myself), don't believe Nokia would be able to bring Qt to series 40 or any other new OS in a reasonable amount of time, in a good working state.
But if they intend to use a linux distribution as a base, that would be a totally different situation. Or nokia intends to use a similar strategy as in the N900, a device that is effectively an internet tablet + Series 40 phone glued together. All interesting speculation, let us wait and see.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
I doubt very much though that any linux based distro will run as efficient as Symbian. AFAIK even a dumbed down one like Android suck more juice than Symbian and Harmattan even more. Sure native code all the way through is going to help but still I think Symbian will be more efficient.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Really hard to take this seriously. Nokia now again trying to create new Linux based OS. What was wrong with previous one, and how are they going to make this work, if they couldn't make the previous one work?
I guess the message being conveyed is that Linux is only suitable for low-end devices (and perhaps only as a glorified boot loader for Qt at that) and if you want something better you should get Windows.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by mece View Post
Would be pretty sweet with 50€ phones with linux & Qt. Cheap hackable linux devices sounds like utopia. I'm excited. (Especially as a Qt developer)
Yes. Fvck Tizen. I'm with Nokia on this one. Come on! One last push, we can do it this time!

My website

GitHub

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Yes. Fvck Tizen. I'm with Nokia on this one. Come on! One last push, we can do it this time!
OT: Is that Bill Murray in your avatar pic?

Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
I doubt very much though that any linux based distro will run as efficient as Symbian. AFAIK even a dumbed down one like Android suck more juice than Symbian and Harmattan even more. Sure native code all the way through is going to help but still I think Symbian will be more efficient.
What do you mean by efficient? If you are referring to battery life i can't agree with you.
The Linux kernel is modular, that is why most embedded systems(where efficiency is VERY important) use it.
I would also like to know on which grounds you are basing the inefficiency of Harmattan, unless you own an N9, i don't understand how you arrived to that conclusion.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marrat View Post
OT: Is that Bill Murray in your avatar pic?
It's Jack Lemmon. The picture is from the opening scene of Glengarry Glen Ross.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
What do you mean by efficient? If you are referring to battery life i can't agree with you.
The Linux kernel is modular, that is why most embedded systems(where efficiency is VERY important) use it.
I would also like to know on which grounds you are basing the inefficiency of Harmattan, unless you own an N9, i don't understand how you arrived to that conclusion.
This is not based on scientific testing, but I will say that the battery life of my N950 seems much worse than that of my N8. The N950 does however have a smaller battery than the N9 (1320mAh vs 1450mAh).

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
Compare battery life with Symbian and Android and you'll se that Symbian is the clear winner. And no I don't got a N9 (got a N950 though) but as Harmattan is more or less a stock debian based distro it sucks more juice than Symbian. All those servers, (i.e dbus, pulse-audio, xorg-server) suck power so yes I know that Harmattan suck more power than Symbian.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
May not be as efficient, but development time is currently a much bigger issue. One thing is clear that Nokia wasn't able to release competitive products based on Symbian on time in the past.
Despite all the delays Nokia faced with MeeGo, other companies have proven that you can release competitive linux based devices in a timely manner, even if you are a small business. (routers, phones, ebook readers, gadgets etc.)

Now that people want more and more from their featurephones, linux could be a good choice on the low-end, without the need to develop an app ecosystem.

Calling Android "dumbed down linux" is a gross simplification of the situation. Also if the applications on Harmattan are correctly optimized, there is no need that Harmattan would require "more juice" than Android or vice versa. You are correct that code that is "closer to the metal", can be more efficient when looking at CPU performance, and thus battery life. But in reality in most situations, the difference is small, and in current Android versions you can also use native code when it does matter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:

Tags
deb & mitm, deb obsoleted, deb rox, dumbphones, linux, linuxmelting, meltemi, rpm sux