Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Merienth View Post
... oh how refreshing to read through 3 pages of posts where 2 frogs and an endsor speculates about speculation... ;-)
Who is the other frog? You?

Unfortunately speculation is the only thing we can do until chen decides to release the prototype images and/or release date.

Waiting for your mighty input to this thread. More quality contribution needed.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-08-01 at 08:09.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
few days ago people were talking about trackpads...

i remember the samsung omnia having something like that.

it functioned as a button and swiping over the button it functioned as arrow keys (depending on direction of swipe).

you could activate 'mouse-mode' in settings which would enable a mouse arrow on screen and then swiping over it would move the mouse arrow (it was running windows mobile), like an actual trackpad, pushing the button = clicking the 'mouse'.

it worked surprisingly well as arrow keys, only sometimes used it in mouse-mode (when i was surfing and there were too many tiny links next to each other to press comfortably with fingers without pressing on the wrong one).

htc desire z had a similar button although i'm not sure it had the same funcionality

after the omnia i got me the n900 and ended up on this place... ahhh nostalgia.

Last edited by SaiKo; 2018-08-01 at 13:34.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SaiKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Oh, I didn't know about that example. I am convinced that for the space it takes, I would be worth it. Having a cursor on a landscape phone with a qwerty keyboard is in my opinion a must, and the Gemini weaknesses demonstrate it.

If the Livermorium is capable of running Debian or other desktop OSes, then it would be a huge pro to be capable of using them without a big finger on the screen all the time (this never works on OSes that are not made for it, and it's not comfortable either), an inaccurate capacitive stylus, and without plugging a mouse. We would be able to use these OSes on the go. And even if it doesn't run these OSes, then it should still be able to run Teamviewer/Nomachine/VNC/Parsec/Shadow, and therefore a mouse would be needed too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Oh, I didn't know about that example. I am convinced that for the space it takes, I would be worth it. Having a cursor on a landscape phone with a qwerty keyboard is in my opinion a must, and the Gemini weaknesses demonstrate it.

If the Livermorium is capable of running Debian or other desktop OSes, then it would be a huge pro to be capable of using them without a big finger on the screen all the time (this never works on OSes that are not made for it, and it's not comfortable either), an inaccurate capacitive stylus, and without plugging a mouse. We would be able to use these OSes on the go. And even if it doesn't run these OSes, then it should still be able to run Teamviewer/Nomachine/VNC/Parsec/Shadow, and therefore a mouse would be needed too.
Do you know if Chen trying to design a pocket Computer or a smartphone with qwerty? Or just trying to achive a topnotch slider/QWERTY experience?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Who is the other frog? You?

Unfortunately speculation is the only thing we can do until chen decides to release the prototype images and/or release date.

Waiting for your mighty input to this thread. More quality contribution needed.
Donīt take my comment as an offense. Oddly enough I really do like to read throuh such comments... this is how I like talk.maemo

And for the 2nd frog: Fellfrosch in german roughly means Peltfrog or Furfrog in english.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Merienth For This Useful Post:
Do you know if Chen trying to design a pocket Computer or a smartphone with qwerty? Or just trying to achive a topnotch slider/QWERTY experience?
As far as I know, he definitely aims at offering a smartphone with hwkb, not a pocket computer. For instance, the keyboard should be made for thumb typing, as opposed to the Gemini's, and the slider is also more convenient for handheld use than the clamshell on the Gemini. Nonetheless, I am sure a hwkb smartphone with cursor control (or accurate stylus like the N900) could perform better as a mini computer than the Gemini. At least on the move, since I don't know if the Livermorium will have video-out.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Gemini and would probably buy one if there was no Livermorium project in the picture, but the clamshell makes it a PDA (or computer when booting Debian) and uncomfortable phone, whereas the lack of accurate cursor control makes it uncomfortable for PDA/computer use. In the end, it could be unconfortable in both cases. The Livermorium could use that to bring together the best of both usecases with slider + trackpad, and better compete.

We don't know if it will be as interesting as the Gemini for multibooting, I hope it will. But even if it does not, as long as I have 4G, I can stream with no latency (Parsec, Shadow) a remote computer and therefore make it a PDA/computer. And it's great, except for the immense frustration of having to use a touchscreen with big fingers missclicking and hiding what I want to ckick. Plus, in case of a hwkb phone, the screen is further from the fingers, I remember fron the Jolla + Tohkbd that moving the hands all the time to touch the screen was getting old.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-08-02 at 10:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
As far as I know, he definitely aims at offering a smarthphone with hwkb, not a pocket computer. For instance, the keyboard should be made for thumb typing, as opposed to the Gemini's, and the slider is also more convenient for handheld use than the clamshell on the Gemini. Nonetheless, I am sure a hwkb smartphone with cursor control (or accurate stylus like the N900) could perform better as a mini computer than the Gemini. At least on the move, since I don't know if the Livermorium will have video-out.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Gemini and would probably buy one if there was no Livermorium project in the picture, but the clamshell makes it a PDA (or computer when booting Debian) and uncomfortable phone, whereas the lack of accurate cursor control makes it uncomfortable for PDA/computer use. In the end, it could be unconfortable in both cases. The Livermorium could use that to bring together the best of both usecases with slider + trackpad, and better compete.

We don't know if it will be as interesting as the Gemini for multibooting, I hope it will. But even if it does not, as long as I have 4G, I can stream with no latency (Parsec, Shadow) a remote computer and therefore make it a PDA/computer. And it's great, except for the immense frustration of having to use a touchscreen with big fingers missclicking and hiding what I want to ckick. Plus, in case of a hwkb phone, the screen is further from the fingers, I remember fron the Jolla + Tohkbd that moving the hands all the time to touch the screen was getting old.
To me going for a smartphone as you said, and not a pocket computer, exlude a cursor mover or atleast adding it somewhere in the bottom of requirement list. Just ahead of built in solar charger. Smartphone must have plenty of features that is more important to solve and work extremely well together with selcted OS. Better to focus power and brain cells here if this shall play well in the real world.

Originally Posted by Merienth View Post
Donīt take my comment as an offense. Oddly enough I really do like to read throuh such comments... this is how I like talk.maemo

And for the 2nd frog: Fellfrosch in german roughly means Peltfrog or Furfrog in english.
Ah, it was to advanced for me to figure out, das peltfrog!

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-08-02 at 07:29.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
To me going for a smartphone [...] exlude a cursor mover or atleast adding it somewhere in the bottom of requirement list.
This is where we disagree. The lack of ability to position the cursor precisely is IMO the main drawback of all current "smart" phones. Keep in mind that this is not just for hitting random buttons on the screen. It is, most importantly, to navigate through the text you are typing and correct mistakes, select blocks of text for copying to clipboard and the like.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
This is where we disagree. The lack of ability to position the cursor precisely is IMO the main drawback of all current "smart" phones.
We do not agree thaaaat often, or...??
Well this time I agree with you to AT LEAST 100%

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
To me going for a smartphone as you said, and not a pocket computer, exlude a cursor mover or atleast adding it somewhere in the bottom of requirement list. Just ahead of built in solar charger. Smartphone must have plenty of features that is more important to solve and work extremely well together with selcted OS. Better to focus power and brain cells here if this shall play well in the real world.
I don't know. To be honest I would agree for about any "exotic" feature *but* the cursor. As Pichlo said, just because it has become a standard to use OSes without accurate cursor movements thanks to the spread of smartphones doesn't mean that it is convenient.

After all, now that I remember it, Blackberry phones used to have a trackpad (maybe they still do?) and I remember seeing people using it all the time for mobile use, like emails or browsing, not for the mini-computer use I was mentioning earlier. There was also this Samsung Omnia example in the previous page, and I believe the Motorola Droid even had a small touchpad (but to be honest I'm not sure it's better than a Blackberry trackpad), plus devices with resistive screen and stylus like our beloved Nokia phones or other "pro" phones. It would take up very little space and would be a huge comfort/productivity advantage in both mobile OS and mini-computer use cases.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-08-02 at 11:55.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen