Notices

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
This is great, I really didnt know there were so many "other" ppl who love comic books like I do, It's bad enough no one I know has a clue about the tablets and this site but the comic book thing is just the icing on the nerd cake. I've been trying to figure out how to get them on my N810 ever since I bought it back in june this year. I downloaded a few apps earlier this yr to handle comic's that I have on "CD-Rom" which are, 40 years of X-men & Ultimate X-men. I wish I knew what method/steps you guys are using to read your comic's on your devices, I guess figuring this out would also shed a little light on how to get my eBooks on there too ( I know all the places to download them but not how actually to get them "on" my N810 and use the evince/pdf reader to read them). what makes this worse is that once I get my N900 I'll really wish I could read them on that.. since I wont put it down for at least the first few days..

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-12-26 at 18:37.

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Maybe I should make a thread just for Comix development issues.

Originally Posted by soleil View Post
Comix works great on my N900 . But after I use crtl°+w to scale image , i can't use volume button to change page
Glad to hear it works well! I altered the volume key behavior to always change the page in the latest version (in extras testing in a few days, but the usual warnings apply... and take them seriously, please.)
Originally Posted by garfield View Post
I cannot install comix on my N810 (43-7), because OS said libjpeg-progs is incompatible application package. Please help me figure out it. thanks
I am currently traveling, but if you could test for me, does version 7.1 from Garage work for the N810?
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...o5v1_armel.deb

Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
I wish I knew what method/steps you guys are using to read your comic's on your devices, I guess figuring this out would also shed a little light on how to get my eBooks on there too ( I know all the places to download them but not how actually to get them "on" my N810 and use the evince/pdf reader to read them). what makes this worse is that once I get my N900 I'll really wish I could read them on that.. since I wont put it down for at least the first few days..
Just install cbrpager or comix and open. You have to copy the comics or books over to your tablet via your method of choice, or download them right on it... for books, I recommend FBreader. (I read way more books on my tablets than comics.)

Last edited by ldrn; 2009-12-28 at 18:25.

Originally Posted by ldrn View Post
Maybe I should make a thread just for Comix development issues.

Glad to hear it works well! I altered the volume key behavior to always change the page in the latest version (in extras testing in a few days, but the usual warnings apply... and take them seriously, please.)

I am currently traveling, but if you could test for me, does version 7.1 from Garage work for the N810?
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...o5v1_armel.deb

Just install cbrpager or comix and open. You have to copy the comics or books over to your tablet via your method of choice, or download them right on it... for books, I recommend FBreader. (I read way more books on my tablets than comics.)
I have comix on my N810 already, and I've even taken out the sd card and put the "comic file" on it but once i put it back in the tablet its not there... so i guess the obvious isnt so for me lol.. and now i have my N900.. and it would be great if i could read them on here.

I have comix on my N810 already, and I've even taken out the sd card and put the "comic file" on it but once i put it back in the tablet its not there... so i guess the obvious isnt so for me lol.. and now i have my N900.. and it would be great if i could read them on here.
Ah, sorry... there's all sorts of things that can make it more complicated. Well, first, what format is your comic file in? A zip, rar, tar, tar.gz or tar.bz (bzipped and gzipped tar files) are archives that contain images (jpg, png, etc). Sometimes, cbz or cbr are used instead, but those are just zip files and rar files with a different extension so a comic reading program will open instead of an archive unpacking program. You can also just use a folder with a collection of images in it, but it's less convenient.

Once it's on the SD card (N810 or N900) you can open it by running Comix, tapping the "Comix" title part for the menu, and going "File" then "Open". Right now, with Comix, you probably start out in the /home/user directory your first time -- browse to the SD card by tapping the "Up" arrow in the top left until you no longer can, then go to "media" and "Memory card".

Once there, you should be able to select the comic file if it's one of those.

CBR Pager has the proper hildonized file open dialog, which should just have "N900" and "Memory Card" as options. Same basic directions, except no need to go to the "Media" folder -- and you probably start out at the fake 'root', too.

Just installed comix on my 900 and it works Like a Charm. I intend to use it heavily like maybe 2 hours a day so is there a link where I can report any bugs I find?

Thanks for this excellent program btw

Originally Posted by ldrn View Post
Ah, sorry... there's all sorts of things that can make it more complicated. Well, first, what format is your comic file in? A zip, rar, tar, tar.gz or tar.bz (bzipped and gzipped tar files) are archives that contain images (jpg, png, etc). Sometimes, cbz or cbr are used instead, but those are just zip files and rar files with a different extension so a comic reading program will open instead of an archive unpacking program. You can also just use a folder with a collection of images in it, but it's less convenient.

Once it's on the SD card (N810 or N900) you can open it by running Comix, tapping the "Comix" title part for the menu, and going "File" then "Open". Right now, with Comix, you probably start out in the /home/user directory your first time -- browse to the SD card by tapping the "Up" arrow in the top left until you no longer can, then go to "media" and "Memory card".

Once there, you should be able to select the comic file if it's one of those.

CBR Pager has the proper hildonized file open dialog, which should just have "N900" and "Memory Card" as options. Same basic directions, except no need to go to the "Media" folder -- and you probably start out at the fake 'root', too.

Thanks so much for the help, I managed to get it on my N900 with ease. Oh and the format for my comic's are pdf ( they're all on CD-rom and i guess are basically made to be used with adobe reader/ or in pdf format, though i'm not 100% sure... but it was beautiful on the pfd reader on my n900 but once i installed the cbrpager it said it was in an unknown format so would i need to save a copy and reformat it so i can read it in cbr or am i not missing much and should stick to pdf since,well it works already.. I still dnt know how to get it on my N810, but I'm starting tho think it because of my 32gb sd card.. every time i take it out and out it in my laptop it says its corrupt when i first install it and offers to scan it via avg. well needless to say it was an ebay buy so maybe that is why i cant get the comix to save to my sd card for my N810... but strangely enough i had the same issues when trying to save a movie to it, after trying for awhile "and basically giving up" i looked on the card and it was there (which was unplayable since it was in a divx format). Thanks for your help agian.

Originally Posted by ny900 View Post
Just installed comix on my 900 and it works Like a Charm. I intend to use it heavily like maybe 2 hours a day so is there a link where I can report any bugs I find?

Thanks for this excellent program btw
No, thank you! I am glad people are using and enjoying my comix port. You can report bugs on the garage page here:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/comix/

... if you like Comix and think it is stable, please vote and/or comment on the current latest version here (you can also report bugs):
http://maemo.org/packages/view/comix/

Hopefully, Comix will have a bugzilla page in the near future.

Last edited by ldrn; 2010-01-06 at 06:48.

Thanks so much for the help, I managed to get it on my N900 with ease. Oh and the format for my comic's are pdf ( they're all on CD-rom and i guess are basically made to be used with adobe reader/ or in pdf format, though i'm not 100% sure... but it was beautiful on the pfd reader on my n900 but once i installed the cbrpager it said it was in an unknown format so would i need to save a copy and reformat it so i can read it in cbr or am i not missing much and should stick to pdf since,well it works already.. I still dnt know how to get it on my N810, but I'm starting tho think it because of my 32gb sd card.. every time i take it out and out it in my laptop it says its corrupt when i first install it and offers to scan it via avg. well needless to say it was an ebay buy so maybe that is why i cant get the comix to save to my sd card for my N810... but strangely enough i had the same issues when trying to save a movie to it, after trying for awhile "and basically giving up" i looked on the card and it was there (which was unplayable since it was in a divx format). Thanks for your help agian.
No problem -- oops, I should have read your first post more carefully... PDF isn't supported by Comix currently -- I was not planning on it, but I could add it if you'd like. (I could add support, but the support via evince, xournal, or the built in document reader would probably still work better; to add it to Comix, I'd basically just do a conversion on the device, and all the extra information you can put into a pdf file would be lost.)

*edit* The latest version (3.6.5.maemo5v1.5b) in extras-devel can read PDF, but I think you'd be happier trying xournal or Evince -- Comix is slow at opening (converting) PDFs and loses all the extra features they have.

Last edited by ldrn; 2010-01-06 at 06:51.

I just installed the version of Comix from devel and it's better

I am unable to reinstall Comix! I uninstalled it because after a reboot it was not appearing on my desktop and I couldn't add it to the desktop anymore like I would a shortcut or widget. It was installed and I could find and run the app, just not put it where I wanted to. It just wasn't appearing in the list.

I uninstalled thinking I would reinstall it like I have before. Now I can't see it in any of the catalogs I have extras,extras devel and extras testing enabled and it's still not there.

I understand that if an app is installed on your phone it won't show in the catalog but I uninstalled comix and I still cant get it to appear in the catalog list.

Can someone help please?

Thanks