Posts: 91 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Near: Gilroy, CA
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had considered creating an application to replace/augment the current Maemo dialer to add smart dial functionality. For those who don't know what smart dial is, it allows you to "T9 your contacts". For example, to dial Home, you would dial 4663 and tap the contact "Home" that appears.

This functionality is present on all current Windows Mobile phones, many HTC Android devices, as an app (nubdial) for non-HTC Android devices, and is available as an addon to the iPhone.

If no one has considered creating the app, then consider this post differently- I will gladly write this app, but as I am not an experienced Qt or C++ programmer, I will need some volunteers to help me. Currently, I have part of the GUI laid out in Qt designer, I now need to create a few of the custom widgets for displaying the contacts and code the actual search routine. This shouldn't be too hard, I just need help.

Any takers?
http://thecubed.com

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thecubed For This Useful Post:
Just to make sure if you are aware that on home screen, if you start typing with the keyboard, it will open the contacts and do pretty much what you are describing here.

Originally Posted by pillar View Post
Just to make sure if you are aware that on home screen, if you start typing with the keyboard, it will open the contacts and do pretty much what you are describing here.
Yes, I understand that feature is available, I just would like to augment the dialer, since using one hand to open the keyboard, type your contact, close the keyboard, and tap "dial" is very awkward.

I currently use this feature to dial my contacts, but it's definitely hard to do with one hand.

The Following User Says Thank You to thecubed For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by thecubed View Post
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had considered creating an application to replace/augment the current Maemo dialer to add smart dial functionality. For those who don't know what smart dial is, it allows you to "T9 your contacts". For example, to dial Home, you would dial 4663 and tap the contact "Home" that appears.

This functionality is present on all current Windows Mobile phones, many HTC Android devices, as an app (nubdial) for non-HTC Android devices, and is available as an addon to the iPhone.

If no one has considered creating the app, then consider this post differently- I will gladly write this app, but as I am not an experienced Qt or C++ programmer, I will need some volunteers to help me. Currently, I have part of the GUI laid out in Qt designer, I now need to create a few of the custom widgets for displaying the contacts and code the actual search routine. This shouldn't be too hard, I just need help.

Any takers?
Also the E52 and I suspect more E-series devices. Also there is a symbian app, don't remember the name. Consider that most smart dial implementations use more than t9'ing the contacts. Such as if i type a sequence of numbers present in a telephone it appears in the list (useful if ones asks you "do you have anybody whose phone ends in 4873?") E.g. if I have a "Dad" contact with 697 446 4216 and I start dialling 642, "dad" should be there in the list along with "nick", "mick" and so on. I think there is one more way of matching but I don't remember now.
________
Ocean View Condos

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:35.

I would love to see smart dial too, I really miss that from my HTC...

Thanks to anyone considering to implement this!

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Also the E52 and I suspect more E-series devices. Also there is a symbian app, don't remember the name. Consider that most smart dial implementations use more than t9'ing the contacts. Such as if i type a sequence of numbers present in a telephone it appears in the list (useful if ones asks you "do you have anybody whose phone ends in 4873?") E.g. if I have a "Dad" contact with 697 446 4216 and I start dialling 642, "dad" should be there in the list along with "nick", "mick" and so on. I think there is one more way of matching but I don't remember now.
Yes, those are all features I'd be considering implementing. Most of the actual search code can be found in various open-source projects around the internet, even a few of the Android smart dialers are open source. If the owner would allow, I think we could very easily translate an Android dialer to python or c/c++.

The biggest hurdle for me at the moment is Qt. For the life of me, I cannot figure how to get a two-line listbox, or use inline formatting (for highlighting the actual results).

Is anyone a Qt wizard around here?

So, I have gotten a nice start on the Qt UI, but I am still having problems creating my custom controls...

Here's what I have so far.

In the contacts list, there will be an icon next to each result that allows you to tap and call the contact, and be able to scroll the list without having to worry about accidentally calling someone you didn't want to talk to (at that moment at least )

Hopefully, I'll be able to sort out the controls issue and move on to the actual search code, then we should see some progress!
Attached Images

Once again, replying to myself, but I have news!

I have managed to get the GUI running on the phone (still, just a GUI, no dialer functionality) in portrait mode-- but apparently the trick I was using to rotate the screen doesn't allow me to take proper screenshots. Bummer. I need to figure out why the rotation code from gPodder segfaults my n900.

However, here I present you with an 'almost worked' screenshot.
Just imagine it with the buttons in the proper place like the previous screenshot from my desktop.

Still looking for any Qt gurus...
Attached Images

great idea and good job

i think the major challenge will be integrating the dialer with the existing phone up

not sure if the phone api is open

Originally Posted by yorg View Post
great idea and good job

i think the major challenge will be integrating the dialer with the existing phone up

not sure if the phone api is open
Nah, that's not a problem-- there's loads of D-BUS commands you can send to the actual dialer program to get it to place an outgoing call.

My application won't actually replace the dialer, you will just use a different shortcut to access it. (Rather than tapping the current "Phone" shortcut, you'd tap "mDial")

Oh, and I solved my multiline list item issue. Now all I need to do (in GUI world) is figure how to change the color/background of a list item... Getting closer!!