Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
This is my first post here, and I know, I am a little bit too late. About 2 months ago I bought my first Nokia N900 device, after testing a whole lots of phones, from Samsung, LG and many others. Everything disappointed me until I got my hands on my second hand N900. I was pure brilliant. But at first I didn't know it was such a fragile phone... so one night, I tripped over the cable and it broke the USB port... My heart was broken...

Two weeks passed and I bought my second N900, because you know... You can't run away from love at the first sight. The second, was like brand new, no problems, untouched, never opened. Only problem I had with this one was the problem with the "All phone functions disabled..." but I fixed it by cleaning up the sim chip and the small metallic pads from the sim reader.

Now the second device have the latest update, every tweak I could possibly find and that would work like charm on the test N900, Smart-Reflex active and much more. I even use WinSCP not to stress the USB port.

Now, please tell me, how can I take care even better of this device, how can I make it least 1-2 years more without any problems? And also, I hope that you can still welcome here the late guys.

P.S. Also had N800 for ~2 years.
I attached 2 photos of my little babys.

Name:  IMG_0470.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0472.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  15.8 KB

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Well your not late, but surprised you haven't been around before.

USB port maybe fixable, it's advisable to reinforce them anyway.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75920

As for modem issues there are multiple threads on the matter.
The correct way to fix is to "reball/reflow" the motherboard, AFAIK nobody has done this yet.

Paper in the battery tray, two sim cards stacked, hammer and a center punch and pen springs have all been used as "solutions" before now.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Well your not late, but surprised you haven't been around before.

USB port maybe fixable, it's advisable to reinforce them anyway.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75920

As for modem issues there are multiple threads on the matter.
The correct way to fix is to "reball/reflow" the motherboard, AFAIK nobody has done this yet.

Paper in the battery tray, two sim cards stacked, hammer and a center punch and pen springs have all been used as "solutions" before now.
Thank you for your reply!

For the USB port protection I did this: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...61&postcount=2

I don't really want to open this device up, since it's unopened.

With the SIM card problem, i saw it was a SIM PROBLEM not a phone hardware problem, and I wrote here how I fixed it http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=199

Some other tips? Also, I am waiting for a hard leather case http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEATHER-PREM...item43ac555e8f to protect it!

Also, I was around here for a while, just didn't register. But after a while I decided I maybe could help someone, or post my own questions, so, tonight I made an account!

Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
Congrats my mate and have fun with it!

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Half-Life_4_Life View Post
Congrats my mate and have fun with it!
Thank you, glad to be here with all of you!

Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
Oh yeah get a good screen protector because of the stylus.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Half-Life_4_Life View Post
Oh yeah get a good screen protector because of the stylus.
I was thinking to buy a screen protection, they are preety cheap, and I found many for this model, but I don't use stylus too much, I have thin fingers so I can do whatever with them without using a stylus. I also heard there could be problems with screen protectors and proximity sensor and I quote:

The N900's proximity sensor, which is designed to lock the touch screen when the phone is against the user's ear to prevent accidental operation, locks the screen unintentionally in bright light (usually outdoors) when a call is placed or received. Nokia has acknowledged that it is a "hardware issue" and cannot be addressed. To unlock the screen in a phone call, a tactile unlock switch in the right side of the device can be used. This however will keep the touch screen active and accidental operation of the phone keys in a call may occur when device is used as a handset. This issue has been blamed on the application of screen protectors, however N900 users without screen protectors are also experiencing the problem.[93]
Can you confirm this?

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by TheoX View Post
I was thinking to buy a screen protection, they are preety cheap, and I found many for this model, but I don't use stylus too much, I have thin fingers so I can do whatever with them without using a stylus. I also heard there could be problems with screen protectors and proximity sensor and I quote:

Can you confirm this?
You'll want screen protector as the screen is easily scratchable. If you have problems with the protector, you can always remove/replace it

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
You'll want screen protector as the screen is easily scratchable. If you have problems with the protector, you can always remove/replace it
Okay, thank you, I will get a screen protector with the protection case, so I will apply it ASAP when I will get my order! Thanks.

Any other tips? Basic or pro, I am all ears!

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by TheoX View Post
Any other tips? Basic or pro, I am all ears!
Personally, I like the N900's support for a lanyard, something that many high-end phones lack these days. (Particularly when I'm taking photos.) Having that strap around my wrist has saved me from dropping the phone onto the ground several times now. (Expensive cell phones and clumsy fingers can be a bad combination... )

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
best wishes, nokia n900