Notices

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I should add that my "nothing inherently wrong" is strictly only 99% correct. It is not very common to format emails like that. A canonical form of robthebold's "bad" message would be four parts. The first part nested, with a plain text and HTML sub-parts, then the other three parts for the attachments. Grouping the attachments like in that message may be seen as ambiguous. Technically, it has a single attachment containing three files.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
And now a bit to the history:

N900 (modest)
does not show attachments but informs you in overview that this mail has got attached something

N9 (fenix)
does not show the attachments and gives you not a hint at all that there could be something attached

Jolla (???)
does not open the mail at all (and freezes mail client completely so you need to close/reopen it)

Make your own conclusions ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-09-26 at 19:45. Reason: spending some tohkbd 'h's

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Excellent, exactly what I needed.

OK, let's start with the "good" message (because it is simpler, no other reason). It has two parts: an HTML text and one attachment. Simple.

The "bad" message has also two parts, but each of them is nested. The first part has two sub-parts, the text in plain text and in HTML. (Does your phone show the text? And if so, in what format?) The second part is also nested, with three attachments: one JPEG and two PDFs. There is nothing inherently wrong with that format, a semi-decent email client should be able to process it. It looks like a bug the N9's client.

For completeness, it might be interesting to see the email after being forwarded by your wife. You say your phone can read that correctly, maybe her email client reformats it before sending to a form your phone can understand.
The "bad" message body part does appear to be properly formatted in the N9 email viewer . . . at least consistent with what I seen in KMail (part of the text is highlighted in purple in Fenix and KMail).

I forwarded the message again back to myself, and this time checked it on both the N9 and N900. As Peter suggested, the N900 email works fine: attachments can be opened properly. On the N9, Fenix pretends that they don't exist.

Haven't yet been able to get my wife to re-forward the email from her iPhone to me.

So I guess it is a bug in Fenix on N9. N900 mail works as expected as Peter said. And amazingly, even KMail on Kubuntu works! (In case anyone didn't know, email client software is a "bleeding edge" kind of thing in KMail, and shouldn't be relied upon in a production environment. No, really. I'm not kidding. We're still dragging KMail kicking and screaming into the 20th century. Yes. You read that right. The 20th century.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
@rob
for clarification:
on N900 original mail did not show/open the attachment (neither it was shown in 'message details'). But only in mail list overview there was the icon that this message should have an attachment.

--
going to forward/resend ...
--
forwarding/answering (back to own mail) from N9/N900 to N9/N900 did all not work

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-09-27 at 11:41.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
@rob
for clarification:
on N900 original mail did not show/open the attachment (neither it was shown in 'message details'). But only in mail list overview there was the icon that this message should have an attachment.

--
going to forward/resend ...
--
forwarding/answering (back to own mail) from N9/N900 to N9/N900 did all not work
May I have such a "broken" message on my gmail account? Or one needs a pop3 account for the bug to be triggered?

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
May I have such a "broken" message on my gmail account? Or one needs a pop3 account for the bug to be triggered?
Good question. I forwarded the broken message to my gmail account and tried to read on N9. Same result. No attachments just like with the POP3 account.

[BTW, it looks like there are some related KMail bugs reported when trying to forward inline emails with HTML formatting that were originally sent from MacOS users -- as in my case. (Well, since it's KMail, I should say: "reported and cheerfully ignored".) So we haven't got the only email client to choke on these.]

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
If I am right and it is the nesting that is the problem, then it is the message itself. The method of retrieval makes no difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
According to what I have seen, the messages with "invisible" attachments I received all came from iPhones or iPads.

As peterleinchen said:

N900 does not show attachments but informs you in overview that this mail has got attached something

N9 does not show the attachments and gives you not a hint at all that there could be something attached. Only from the size of the email, you can conclude that there is an attachement.

With Jolla, it is a mixed bottle. It appears to me that most emails and attachments are now shown as they should. Only at very rare occasions, I can not download an attachment on the Jolla. Email client on myJolla never freezes.

It would be great if someone could resolve this issue! It must somehow be related to the way how iOS "packs" the attachments.

BTW: my N900 at some point started to corrupt attached .doc files so that they could not be opend by the addressee.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Anyway, could someone send me such an email so I can reproduce the problem and (hopefully) fix it?

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

I tried to forward (also answer to my own) to different providers and also back. But I always end up with either the message not included completely (so attachments missing) from N9/00 or the message gets converted from Mime: Apple to Mime: 1.0 and the nesting is gone (message can be fully read on N900).

So I guess only chance is someone can provide the message via an iDevice ...

Tags
attachments, email, fenix, fremantle, harmattan, modest