Notices

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
Hi, never flashed my n900 before and kinda need a walkthrough. i've check out the wiki, got the flasher software and also the corresponding fremantle firmware.... can anyone walk me through... I'm a bit nervous about losing my n900 flashing virginity

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Really is as easy as following the wiki guide thats all i did - 10 mins max and then all you need to do is re-install apps.

If you have backed up before all your app settings will be saved on a restore from back up
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
lol, yeah but im not a command line kinda guy. ok, i get the part, about the phone ready for flashing mode, have gotten it hooked up, pressed run...and then i paused...

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norwich
step one: remove all clothes.
step two: put on old rain coat
step three: go out in public and randomly open coat at unsuspecting passers by.

sorry couldnt resist.
but yeah it is really quite easy. you can use the software updater from the nokia website as one option. this has all the instructions you need with it. but if you do really want a walk through check out the wiki like noobmonkey suggests. hope i didnt offend by the way.

The Following User Says Thank You to NotTheMessiah For This Useful Post:
nah, pretty funny actually...
i actually got this far

c:\Program Files\maemo\Flasher-3.5>

im confused after this

1. Switch off the Maemo device
2. Press and hold down the 'u' key
3. Connect a USB cable between the Maemo device and host PC while holding down the 'u' key
4. When the USB cable is connected, it powers the Maemo device and sets it to flashing mode
5. When the USB icon appears in the upper right-hand corner, the Maemo device is in flashing mode
6. Release the 'u' key

(holding the u key is on the N900, not pc!)

If performed correctly, the USB image is visible in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

In your dos box type
Code:
 flasher-3.5 -F <Imagefile name, end in .bin / file you downloaded from the N900 firmware site> -f -R
example (Do not enter the <>'s in my previous line)

Code:
flasher-3.5.exe -F RX-51_2009SE_2.2009.51-1_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
(Assuming the file you downloaded, you put it in the same folder on the computer!!!)

The update will take approximately 4 minutes after which the N900 will reboot and display the Welcome Screen with Regional settings.

Don't play with the device as you flash, as you may knock the cable out - wouldnt want that!

once it is done it will auto-reboot.
You will be welcomed by being asked to re-set up your device.

Then you need to run the backup tool and re-import your settings etc......
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 353 | Thanked: 263 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
In your dos box type
Note that noobmonkey doesn't mean DosBox here, but the Windows Command prompt instead

The Following User Says Thank You to TNiga For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TNiga View Post
Note that noobmonkey doesn't mean DosBox here, but the Windows Command prompt instead

good point well made

ok i did that , pretty much copy and paste, except for my particular version of the n900 software
after i typed it in i got

flasher v2.5.2 <sept 24 2009>
RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11.002_PR_COMBINED_002_ARM.bin: %m

then nada

Originally Posted by optimistprime View Post
ok i did that , pretty much copy and paste, except for my particular version of the n900 software
after i typed it in i got

flasher v2.5.2 <sept 24 2009>
RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11.002_PR_COMBINED_002_ARM.bin: %m

then nada
using an old version of flasher?

should be

flasher-3.5