@jalyst, I had filed that bug no 463 . I think its ridiculous that we have to resort to such trickery (no offense to OP , its a good workaround to the current problem! ) to extend battery lifetime.

OT: I had disabled background connections yesterday, and my N9 lost only 10% battery charge in 22 hours! It speaks volumes about how optimised the cellular and CPU standby is, but at the same time given my example, I dont understand how the Nokia Devs claimed (in some other bugreport) that the current connection system is "optimised" ! For Gods sake just look at Symbian ..its owned by Nokia too and it has the BEST connectivity algorithm from a battery longetivity.

Back on topic: I recall the AutoDisconnect app for Maemo5 , here http://wiki.maemo.org/AutoDisconnect . Is it possble to petition the developer to port it for maemo6/Harmattan ! !?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nokiac For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by nokiac View Post
Back on topic: I recall the AutoDisconnect app for Maemo5 , here http://wiki.maemo.org/AutoDisconnect . Is it possble to petition the developer to port it for maemo6/Harmattan ! !?
That's an excellent idea, you should start a new thread here:
http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
Or here....
http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41
Or both paces maybe, & we should reach out to the dev/s

If your report ends up as a WONTFIX [dunno if we'll get a PR1.4 or beyond ]
Then at least we may be able to convince them to make it easier for 3rd parties to integrate a solution.
Or if not, even a stand alone app will suffice, I guess...
Users should be adding that report to their sigs too, if they see it as one of the most important enhancements.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-09 at 07:35.

@nokiac:
no offense of course, it's indeed silly if such workarounds are needed.

In general, I think we should still keep pushing Nokia devs to integrate this properly, instead of seeing what the community can do to alleviate the issue.
I don't disagree with taking action, but at the bugreport we should clearly request that they fix the system. They had no problem taking a lot of hard earned cash in exchange for the N9, so they should live up to it and fix outstanding issues.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
There is probably no need for separate AutoDisconnect module in harmattan as it already contains the same IdleTimer functionality that was present in diablo release. Unfortunately there is no system ui for tweaking idle timeout, and it cannot be used if system is in always on mode. Currently idle timer is only used if system is in power save mode.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jukkar For This Useful Post:
Some observations by me. I may be wrong as I am no coder/dev.

If you set the N9 to "Dont allow background connections" , and open the browser, it will initiate the appropriate connection and you can happily surf, and after some preset time, approx 30 secs, if you dont load any more pages, the connection is terminated. Same behaviour is seen with any other app that requests internet. I even tried this with a skype call, setting skype online when background connections are off, it connects Skype, loads contacts, I can call the contact, and after I disconnect the connection terminated in some time.

So my question is , why cant email be made behave the same way when "background connections" are off !! To be frank I really think this whole concept of background connections is crap. They (Nokia/maemo6/harmattan ) already seem to have a mechanism in the connections framework to detect when an app is requesting connectivity and subsequently invoke a connection, just that its not being used correctly.

In my opinion, we just need a global data on/off switch and thats it. All connections should be made on request by an app(s) and terminated after a preset idle time or when the app(s) exit. In this scheme, the worst that can happen is that some rogue/misbehaving app stays open (maybe in the background as a daemon) , and keep it connected all time, which is precisely what is happening now in the current scheme of things!!

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Some observations by me. I may be wrong as I am no coder/dev.

If you set the N9 to "Dont allow background connections" , and open the browser, it will initiate the appropriate connection and you can happily surf, and after some preset time, approx 30 secs, if you dont load any more pages, the connection is terminated. Same behaviour is seen with any other app that requests internet. I even tried this with a skype call, setting skype online when background connections are off, it connects Skype, loads contacts, I can call the contact, and after I disconnect the connection terminated in some time.
You are in powersave mode if your connections are terminated after 30 secs, which is the default timeout if there is no data being transferred.

So my question is , why cant email be made behave the same way when "background connections" are off !! To be frank I really think this whole concept of background connections is crap. They (Nokia/maemo6/harmattan ) already seem to have a mechanism in the connections framework to detect when an app is requesting connectivity and subsequently invoke a connection, just that its not being used correctly.
You are mixing concepts here. Background connections have nothing to do with connection disconnection. Your email application is keeping connections up because there is data being transferred so powersave idle timer is not triggered.

nion, we just need a global data on/off switch and thats it. All connections should be made on request by an app(s) and terminated after a preset idle time or when the app(s) exit. In this scheme, the worst that can happen is that some rogue/misbehaving app stays open (maybe in the background as a daemon) , and keep it connected all time, which is precisely what is happening now in the current scheme of things!!
It Is possible to configure the system to disconnect inactive connections or if application quits. No one has just not yet created an app that does this kind of system configuration. Note that the default system ui could get confused by this as it is made to support only the always online use case.

Originally Posted by jukkar View Post
You are in powersave mode if your connections are terminated after 30 secs, which is the default timeout if there is no data being transferred.
Well, I am sure I was not in powersave mode, and the 30 secs was just an example, it disconnected even before 30 secs many times. From observation it looked like it disocnnected when there was nothing to be done on the network.

You are mixing concepts here. Background connections have nothing to do with connection disconnection. Your email application is keeping connections up because there is data being transferred so powersave idle timer is not triggered.
Well, thats the idea, I dont really agree with the current way of handling connections, hence I say the whole background connections thing is BS. Nokia classifies email and facebook sync as background connections, and my suggestion says treat all apps/connections as same and disconnect when you have nothing to transfer.

It Is possible to configure the system to disconnect inactive connections or if application quits. No one has just not yet created an app that does this kind of system configuration. Note that the default system ui could get confused by this as it is made to support only the always online use case.
Yea, I would love such an app. To summarize my proposal, based on the current paradigm , I just want email/FB sync to work when I have set background connections off .. i.e treat email as the web browser example I quoted earlier, connect when a sync for mail is due, sync mail and disconnect, why needlessly keep connection alive all for 3G!

In case anyone still cares...

Originally Posted by aRTee View Post
And then as root, I setup cron:
Code:
/opt/cron/bin/crontab -e
10 6 * * * devel-su user -c 'sh /home/user/bin/synccal.sh'
The proper line should be:
Code:
/opt/cron/bin/crontab -e
10 6 * * * devel-su - user -c 'sh /home/user/bin/synccal.sh'
Note the minus sign, which tells su (or devel-su in this case) to take the regular environmental variables for the user "user".

BTW been absent, will be absent again..

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Bummer, you should lurk here for at least a day if you can spare the time:
http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=56
http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52

One of the stand-out threads from those 2 sub-forums:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91875&page=168