Notices

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver,Canada / Dubai,UAE
Hi everyone ,
Searched the forum already but couldn't find a way to do it .
on my n900 , I installed a app called " Cellular Modem Control Buttons " , I can not find it in app manager to delete this app , is there any way to delete it ?

Cheers.

you can type "apt-get remove appname" into the terminal. You have be root users. Type in "sudo gainroot" first. Be careful when messing around as root user though.

The Following User Says Thank You to azz For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by SR90 View Post
Hi everyone ,
Searched the forum already but couldn't find a way to do it .
on my n900 , I installed a app called " Cellular Modem Control Buttons " , I can not find it in app manager to delete this app , is there any way to delete it ?

Cheers.
Just to double-check, you are going through the "Uninstall" section, right? It shows up just fine on my unit. That said, the previous poster was correct, but if you aren't familiar with command-line work, I'd advise that you learn on something you don't mind breaking once or twice (or at least do your homework first).
There are also other packages that the App Manager doesn't show (system things, libraries, and other things that Joe User doesn't care about), since it abstracts the messy bits away, and those can also be dealt with in the manner mentioned in the previous post - although the warning applies doubly for those.

EDIT: Also as a note, when the previous poster says "appname" in the command, that's not the "marketing" name for the app, but rather the less friendly name of the package it comes in. Usually the names are fairly similar, but don't try to just type in "apt-get remove My Awesome App!!", because that won't work at all.

Last edited by jaem; 2010-01-24 at 03:31. Reason: addition

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver,Canada / Dubai,UAE
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
Just to double-check, you are going through the "Uninstall" section, right? It shows up just fine on my unit. That said, the previous poster was correct, but if you aren't familiar with command-line work, I'd advise that you learn on something you don't mind breaking once or twice (or at least do your homework first).
There are also other packages that the App Manager doesn't show (system things, libraries, and other things that Joe User doesn't care about), since it abstracts the messy bits away, and those can also be dealt with in the manner mentioned in the previous post - although the warning applies doubly for those.
oh , it's time for some homework then , cheers for the rply though

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
This should be of some help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto
The main thing to worry about with removing apps is that due to dependency relationships between packages (shared resources are usually packaged separately, rather than bundling them as duplicates in each app's package), sometimes removing an seemingly innocuous package can do destructive things if you don't fully understand what it's doing. (Because Linux OSes are modular, it's quite possible (and in some cases desired) to remove half of the OS - and if important things depend on something you're trying to remove, you have to watch out for that sort of thing. In this case, it shouldn't be an issue - it's just fair warning; the App Manager keeps people from doing things like that, which is why it's the way we encourage most people to install/uninstall apps.)
To figure out the name of the package, you can use apt-cache search searchterm

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
oh , it's time for some homework then , cheers for the rply though
It should be available in the uninstall menu. Note that you need to reboot (or do "killall systemui") to actually remove the buttons from powerkey menu, as said in the package description.

If even reboot won't remove the buttons, the appropriate cmdline to remove package is:

Code:
apt-get remove cell-modem-ui

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tuminoid View Post
It should be available in the uninstall menu. Note that you need to reboot (or do "killall systemui") to actually remove the buttons from powerkey menu, as said in the package description.

If even reboot won't remove the buttons, the appropriate cmdline to remove package is:

Code:
apt-get remove cell-modem-ui
thanks for the response , i tried the code , it says blah blah permission denied "are you root ?"

I didn't know what to do so I exited xterminal !

The app is not showing in application manager . I also tried the killallsystem ui , now its not there in the powerkey menu , does it mean it has been uninstalled ?

thanks for the help .

no it means that you were not root! You should install the app rootsh from this website. when installed go to your xterminal and type "sudo gainroot" after that you are root and can do the commands

this is the link to the page 3rd from top:

http://maemo.org/downloads/Maemo5/system/

Last edited by sygys; 2010-01-24 at 12:16.

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
thanks for the response , i tried the code , it says blah blah permission denied "are you root ?"

I didn't know what to do so I exited xterminal !
It means you need to do
Code:
sudo gainroot
to be root and install rootsh to do so.

The app is not showing in application manager . I also tried the killallsystem ui , now its not there in the powerkey menu , does it mean it has been uninstalled ?
Yes, its been uninstalled. I guess the issue for you was not rebooting as per instructions after you removed it from appmgr.

thanks for the help .
No problem!

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
Thanks tuminoid , I uninstalled it finally , cheers , great to have users like you in here