Active Topics

Originally Posted by wolke View Post
im fulla sh*t:
echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/i2c_omap.2/i2c-2/2-0039/prox_enable

EDIT: note that i still recommend replacing your screen, and making it so that replacing your screen AGAIN is easy
Hello All

I broke my N9 screen and I had to replace the LCD recently from a local market. After this, my proximity sensor is not working. On accepting incoming call requests, the display goes off and am unable to perform any operation. Infact I cannot end my call too and I am forced to wait until the the person at the other end ends the call to get my display back

I tried using the command shared by wolke but it doesnt help too
On entering as root user, I did the following
#pwd
/root
#echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/i2c_omap.2/i2c-2/2-0039/prox_enable
#

Hope this is fine. Wondering why no changes are noticed after this.
Somebody please help me with this.
Many thanks in advance.

I got similar problems with my new n9. But it seems that the hint with disabling the device in console won't work!

Can the seetings be wrong, because sometimes it seems that the stupid sensor works. But most of the time as soon as I start a phonecall the display goes black! As long as the other side won't quit the call I'm unable to do anything.

Are there any ways to check the function of proximity sensor? Some sort of testing utility? Or a path in filesystem that is beeing frequently written by any driver and I can monitor?

BR Daniel

Posts: 1,552 | Thanked: 3,108 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Russia, 96
Same problem, can't solve...

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Stuttgart/Germany
echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/i2c_omap.2/i2c-2/2-0039/prox_enable
doesn't help. I checked, if it's really set to zero with cat /sys/.....

Any other methods?

edit: if I disconnect the prox. sensor, I can't turn it of, of course.. But same error: display black at call, only lights up if call ends by the other member.

Last edited by lazart; 2014-07-31 at 10:10.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2014 @ Germany
I started having exactly the same problem as das-d and lazart since recently. Any suggestions on what can be the reason?

Originally Posted by eccenux View Post
Here is a script which you can run to disable/enable the sensor. Helps when you have your N9 behind some kind of foil.

Code:
#
# Disable/enable proximity sensor
#
# To enable use: proximity_disable.sh 0
#
prox_enable_path=`find /sys/devices/ -name 'prox_enable'`

if [ -z "$1" ]; then
     echo "0" > $prox_enable_path
else
     echo "1" > $prox_enable_path
fi
Save it as /use/sbin/proximity_disable.sh or /use/bin/proximity_disable.sh, note however that you need to login as root (devel-su) to use the script. Don't forget to chmod the script to add execution rights.
That seems to help, but only once. The first time I make a call, the controls are visible. The second time, the screen turns blank. Running the script again helps. Any way to make this effect permanent?

(My screen is shattered, but I've fixed it with protective foil.)

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
On N900 it would be possible for sure to get that script automatically run each time you end a call (I am sure that triggers the re-activation of prox sensor).
For that you would need something like this:
Code:
# This file was generated by dbus-scripts-settings
# If you edit it by hand you might confuse the program,
# and you might lose your changes next time the program runs.

#:call_start
#/opt/scripts/call_start.sh * * com.nokia.mce.signal sig_call_state_ind active normal

#:call_end
#/opt/scripts/call_end.sh * * com.nokia.mce.signal sig_call_state_ind none normal
put in /etc/dbus-scripts.d

I have no idea if something like this exists on N9 and cannot check as I do not have it with me atm.

--
ofc dbus exists on N9
but cannot remember about dbus-scripts (and dbus-scripts-settings)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-03-13 at 12:48.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2016 @ Czech Republic
Hi,

after I changed screen on my favourite old gal N9, I had same problems,
display turning off after call accepted (no way to interrupt call
other than phone reset), alarm clock couldn't wake up the display...

Thanks to suggestions from guys in this forum:

I tried prox_enable stuff, but without success -> that was pointing to HW problem.
Observed that the file content was restored to "1" after each call.

I transfered the proximity sensor from old screen to the new one,
so I suspected the sensor was misaligned. After some trials I found
sensor was working when screen was not fit back in the case.
Obviously the glue on sensor wiring wasn't strong enough to keep sensor
aligned after pushing screen back to the case.
Fixing wiring in place by tape solved the problem.

Just my five cents...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hepoun For This Useful Post:
After I dropped my N9 I had to have the case and the display replaced. The place I took it to for the repairs put in a very cheap display.
The display started turning off so often that I could not make or receive calls. Finally after the display started separating from the bezel, then turned all green. I bought another display from a company in California through Ebay. I think I paid somewhere around $80 for the display back in 2014.
So far the phone has been working perfectly ever since.
Which makes me wonder is it the sensor or a cheap display causing problems?

@ka9yhd, so the cheap screen they put in probably didnt have a transparent space for the prox sensor, OR the screen fit so poorly that the sensor would slide back a bit, OR the screen fit so poorly at the bottom that the prox sensor was literally disconnected when they put the screen back on.

ive bought screens with all 3 of those problems in the past. the solution for no transparent space is to turn off the prox or get a new screen. the solution for poor fit is to put tape on the wire, and then use small tools to push both ends of the prox in place right before closing the phone. its tricky af.