Notices

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Tennessee
I recently upgraded to the newest version of FBreader and noticed that it now automatically adds MOBI ebooks to the library. YAY!! This is something for which I have been waiting a long time.

Now the bad news.

I have over 400 ebooks and when I tried to add any of them to the library or view my library, the program processed for a while and then crashed after using all the available memory (about 90 MB). The solution is to create a new folder with only a few books in it, then change the config to point to the new folder.

It works but is not the nicest method.

It does seem to work well with the reduced amount of ebooks.

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
I see that FBreader allows you to add the Mobipocket books to the library but is there a way for it to decrypt purchased ones? That would be great news indeed.

However, I tried it on one of the books I previously purchased and it still is not readable.

Thanks,
Fred

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I just add them by hand as I read them. The library isn't set up particularly well for browsing big collections, and I wont be needing more than one or two of them at a time, anyway.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Tennessee
The problem was that the new version automatically added all the books in the folder when you tried to open the library or add a new book. It works fine now that I have a smaller folder, but when I had it pointing to my main ebooks folder it crashed (after a couple of minutes of trying to add all the books).

I am just not sure why it uses so much memory. It seems to be reading each book into memory and not releasing them.

The feature can be disabled in settings.

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
I'm not finding that in settings.
You can tell it not to read subdirectories...

I am having same problem with already downloaded books. If I go to my acct in mobipocket and downoad I just get an unreadable character file?

My downloaded books from mobipocket is in .prc form and do not open properly in fbreader, am I supossed to change something?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by scottyb159 View Post
My downloaded books from mobipocket is in .prc form and do not open properly in fbreader, am I supossed to change something?
Yes. A bookseller that doesn't DRM its wares.

If they're encrypted commercial books, then they wont work. You have to convert them somehow.