Active Topics

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post

The N810 rocked when I had but I think it's, very very old tech now.
I can still do things on the N810 that I can't do on my iPod Touch (the opposite is also true - gaming SUCKS on any NIT when you compare to the iPodtouches/iPhones.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
It would be cheaper and easier to get a 7" eee pc as it's got an atom processor.
sorry, but the only 7" eeepc i know of have a old celeron mobile under the hood, not a atom...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Gief one 810 for free buh-leaze!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
Gief one 810 for free buh-leaze!
Drunk LOLcat Optimus?? Is that you??

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Drunk LOLcat Optimus?? Is that you??
Oh my, was I here day before yesterday, had few too many be-heers!

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Naw.. it just seems like it because it feels abandoned.
Truth is, it isn't old at all (two years old is not old), but it is not owned by enough people to make a strong community (and unfortunately many of the most active community members have been lured away by n900). And being a semi closed device doesn't help either.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I can still do things on the N810 that I can't do on my iPod Touch (the opposite is also true - gaming SUCKS on any NIT when you compare to the iPodtouches/iPhones.
You do have a point about the gaming. I have an iphone and it just outclasses my n810 for gaming. I still prefer my n810 for note taking and what not.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Truth is, it isn't old at all (two years old is not old), but it is not owned by enough people to make a strong community (and unfortunately many of the most active community members have been lured away by n900). And being a semi closed device doesn't help either.
Old enough, actually. I clearly remember buying my N800 at a CompUSA nearby right in January of 2007. Plenty of time for them to have opened up this damned thing properly to the community.

As for the N900... In that time, we N800's went from OS2006 (pre-OS2007) to OS2007... to OS2008... then nothing for any truly meaningful upgrades. SSU's are nothing more than patches, near as I can tell.. and none of it upgraded the kernel to keep up with the mainline kernel. So... hooray. OS2008... aaaand we're now in 2010 with a whole NEW device to get the new updates while we relegate to being stuck in 2008 with a semi-closed device.

Nice.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
... aaaand we're now in 2010 with a whole NEW device to get the new updates while we relegate to being stuck in 2008 with a semi-closed device.

Nice.
Nah. All bugs will be fixed in Fremantle!
Or maybe Harmattan?

I only got my 810 in summer of '09, so haven't quite had it a year. I got it because the iTouch I got (and returned) just seemed like it was half-crippled, not supposed to have the ability to do something a real computer would do like using AbiWord or somesuch. And the little Atom-processor lappy I got was difficult to write with while stuck flat out in bed (both legs broken). The one thing I didn't care for in features, being the phone, was not on the 810, which made me happy. I'm like the 3rd person I've ever met that hates their cell phone, lol.

Now the 900 is definitely nice. I've been teetering on getting one or not. But the phone thing keeps throwing me off. I know you don't have to use it, but something about it just being there. Plus the fact I enjoy my 810 quite a lot, even after a year. I use it to write, read blogs, read news, listen to radio, watch videos I converted, play games, and a lot of other. When I travel, it's the first thing I pack. I can hook it up to my externals. I even bought a case (those hardside pocket external cases are perfect) and built some kit for it. Seems it meets my needs and I'm still really happy with it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UnKle For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo4, nokia n800, nokia n810